Wonít sell me a Remington ?

This is a discussion on Wonít sell me a Remington ? within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I have been looking for a new rifle and apparently Remington got on the bad side of a lot of gun shops I have been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Wonít sell me a Remington ?

I have been looking for a new rifle and apparently Remington got on the bad side of a lot of gun shops I have been to local gun shops and major sporting stores and time again I was told they wouldnít sell me a Remington they are junk.So what is going on I know just about everyone on here is a pro Remington cheerleader so are they junk or not.

I own several 700s from the 1970's to the current models and I haven't had any issues. I shoot mine several times a week for what it's worth. I know a lot of people who own them and shoot theirs just as much and I have never heard anyone in person complain about anything other than wanting a better trigger or stock. Nothing function or quality related. The internet is the only place where I have seen or heard the horror stories. I know all companies put out bad products from time to time, but I think it is more of a bandwagon type thing nowadays. Also you have people who buy a entry level $350 ADL hunting rifle and want to complain about how it sucks and doesn't have the features of a $1000 Bergara HMR. I think Remington fine, but I feel that people expect things that remington doesn't provide at a certain price point therefore they "suck" example "I can't dump the rounds out the bottom of the rifle, I have to cycle the bolt to empty the magazine on my ADL from the top." The internet has made everyone believe that if your rifle does not have a match trigger, a fancy tactical stock from the factory and shoot one hole groups it is garbage.
    Last edited by wrightjr; 01-09-2020 at 07:02 AM.
    Apollo117 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wrightjr View Post
    I own several 700s from the 1970's to the current models and I haven't had any issues. I shoot mine several times a week for what it's worth. I know a lot of people who own them and shoot theirs just as much and I have never heard anyone in person complain about anything other than wanting a better trigger or stock. Nothing function or quality related. The internet is the only place where I have seen or heard the horror stories. I know all companies put out bad products from time to time, but I think it is more of a bandwagon type thing nowadays. Also you have people who buy a entry level $350 ADL hunting rifle and want to complain about how it sucks and doesn't have the features of a $1000 Bergara HMR. I think Remington fine, but I feel that people expect things that remington doesn't provide at a certain price point therefore they "suck" example "I can't dump the rounds out the bottom of the rifle, I have to cycle the bolt to empty the magazine on my ADL from the top." The internet has made everyone believe that if your rifle does not have a match trigger, a fancy tactical stock from the factory and shoot one hole groups it is garbage.
    Thanks i see a few guys at the range with there 700ís and never a complaint, Ive ask how they like the rifle all i ever get is itís alright.Well I figure I will pick up one and see if I donít like it i can always sell it.I have had expensive Rutgers that were not so great so you never know.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

It depends what your goals are. If you want to shoot minute of deer at 150 yards a rem 700 is fine. If you really want to shoot long range precision, then a factory rem 700 leaves a lot to be desired.

I have first hand experience with 700ís. I went down that road upgrading almost everything trying to get it to shoot the 1/2 moa that everyone else claims. 1/2 moa was the exception, not the rule.

If you are looking for sub 1/2 moa consistently, then there just about arenít any factory rifles that will do that. I know Remington wonít and while the Bergara HMRs that I have shot were some better, they are still not consistently 1/2 moa.

In my experience, the money spent on a Remington would be better off put into a custom if you really want 1/2 moa and better consistently. It will be more money up front, but less headache and sometimes less money in the long run.

On the other hand, if one is satisfied with 3/4-1 moa, then there are several rifles capable of that most of the time.

Another issue I had with Remington was the deep deep chamber. There was no way to load to the rifles potential because the jump to lands was way too far. I couldnít even touch the lands with a 220 smk hanging out as far as it would go. This causes accuracy issues.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Like some one said, it depends on your goal. To be frank, all my Remington were alright. Just alright and that's about it. I had them for hunting and casual long range shooting. They shot a minute or less all day long. Fortunately, I never ran into any quality issues either. Even during those days QC was very questionable. I guess I got lucked out on mines.

But I could not get any better in accuracy department. That's what I meant by it's just alright rifle. Don't expect much more than that. It's will never give you a performance of custom rigs.

I know these days the quality and performance of rifles got extremely better compared to a decade ago. So, shooters expectation got much higher than before and therefore the disappointment got worse too.

Really, the shooter's needs to be address their needs first. Is it a usual hunting rig? Casual long range shooter? Serious shooter looking for the best looking clover on the papers?

Unless you want to drop some serious coins, a factory rifle would play alright. I like how Howa 1500 and Tikka t3x performs these days.
    Hidden Content

The men who wrote the 2nd Amendment hadn't just finished a hunting trip.

They had just liberated a nation.

QC has been in the toilet for years. It's not like they don't squeak out rifles that are just fine, it's how many that are not just fine that make it out of the door that's the problem. Howa 1500's are really quite nice. Tikka T3's are good. Savage 10's are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by 10Monsters View Post
    Thanks i see a few guys at the range with there 700ís and never a complaint, Ive ask how they like the rifle all i ever get is itís alright.Well I figure I will pick up one and see if I donít like it i can always sell it.I have had expensive Rutgers that were not so great so you never know.
    I got this Remington 700 LR in 30.06 and I was able to put a 2 1/2'' group at 1,000 yards with three rounds. They were 175 SMK's. The only thing I change was the trigger. It has a 26'' barrel on it.

I got an older 700P in 308 about 6 years ago. I was able to load 175SMKs under .5 MOA. As ddd said the throat is ridiculously long on Remmys and in order to get that accuracy, I had to load them long which meant that they had to be single loaded even with the normally Jump tolerable SMKs. I backed the pill down to get into the mag and I was able to lose just a hair of accuracy. Well that barrel got shot out so I put a Bartlein 6.5CM barrel on it. The rifle ended up with a Calvin Elite trigger and a MPA chassis.

Bottom line is that the only thing left of the original rifle is the action that has been heavily tweaked. That being said, knowing what I know now, I’d have done the custom for about $2500 - 3k from the get go, including a high end action. I know that’s a hard thing to accept when you have the funds for an entry level shooter, realize that’s what you are getting and in the long run what you end up with will most likely not resemble anything like what you started with. My .02

All depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to play around then the 700 works just fine.

I recently bought a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .223. After experimenting with loads, I can consistently shoot well under .5 MOA with it at 100 yards. The only thing was to change the horrendous Remmy Mark X trigger for a Timney trigger that cost less than 100 bucks. It has a very rough finish on the barreled receiver that is not too elegant and an ugly plastic stock (that happens to be very comfortable), but for what I paid it is an amazing shooter.
    SatCong likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads