Advice for new rifle .308 “Nimrod”

This is a discussion on Advice for new rifle .308 “Nimrod” within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hi guys ,after some warranty issue with my rifle ,now I’m choosing new .308 rifle for tactical/sport shooting . I have to say in Europe ...

Hi guys ,after some warranty issue with my rifle ,now I’m choosing new .308 rifle for tactical/sport shooting . I have to say in Europe -that’s important fact.
    Can you give me advice about this one from sporting services UK call “Nimrod”
    It is Rem700 based-so no problem with OEM trigger,etc.
    Barrel is Lothar Walter 26” stainless,1:12 twist,same brand as Accurancy International.
    Receives is German custom made-but look good 3 lugs.
    Stock there is question it is Accurancy International AX AICS or AI AICS as option-can’t decide which one will be more solid.
    I’m not fancy with many slots to attach torch,red dot,etc. so AI AICS can be enough ,but I don’t know anyone who own.
    I will appreciate any suggestions.Please don’t recommend different caliber or fully custom guns-I have some other.

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by djgas View Post
    Hi guys ,after some warranty issue with my rifle ,now I’m choosing new .308 rifle for tactical/sport shooting . I have to say in Europe -that’s important fact.
    Can you give me advice about this one from sporting services UK call “Nimrod”
    It is Rem700 based-so no problem with OEM trigger,etc.
    Barrel is Lothar Walter 26” stainless,1:12 twist,same brand as Accurancy International.
    Receives is German custom made-but look good 3 lugs.
    Stock there is question it is Accurancy International AX AICS or AI AICS as option-can’t decide which one will be more solid.
    I’m not fancy with many slots to attach torch,red dot,etc. so AI AICS can be enough ,but I don’t know anyone who own.
    I will appreciate any suggestions.Please don’t recommend different caliber or fully custom guns-I have some other.
    A 1:12 twist may limit the bullet weight you can use in your 308. Below I sent a link to Shilen Barrel's recommendations for barrel twist and bullet weight.

Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.

Usually experienced shooters purchase a barrel with a particular weight bullet in mind. Generally heavy for caliber bullets can be loaded to reach out to reach out farther than the standard bullet weights generally found in factory loaded rounds.

That said, I was able to get good results in my 700P 308 that had a 1:12 twist with 175gr Sierra Match Kings out to 1000yds. Sierra now has a 308 cal. 200gr bullet that some have been able to reach out farther with this heavier bullet. You might want to do some research on twist rates in tests with that bullet if you wish to max out the distance capabilities of the 308Win.
    Last edited by Martino1; 02-12-2020 at 08:09 PM.

Ads