New to me...

New to me...

This is a discussion on New to me... within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I recently purchased my first Savage 308 LH (used/new to me and I was placed on hold for 7 days). What I know is... the ...

Thread: New to me...

New to me...

I recently purchased my first Savage 308 LH (used/new to me and I was placed on hold for 7 days). What I know is... the rifle is a Savage in 308 LH, heavy/bull barrel, aftermarket stock (possibly a Boyd). I have an older Tasco scope given to me by an uncle that I can not seem to find info on. I know this is not ideal but it is getting me into the field and on the range to start practicing before I get my current dream set up. The questions are....
    1. Where can I find out more about the rifle when I get it? ie. Rifling, twist rate etc...
    2. Where can I find info on the scope? It is a MAG IV #MAG312X40.
    Any help or pointers or guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you and SEMPER FI.

Try emailing or writing the contacts link for Tasco and Savage. If you have the parts # and/or serial number they should be able to help you out. Worth a try anyway.
    I don't have enuff posts to put up links, but try the contact links for a start. Good luck.
    Bob

Thank you! I appreciate the suggestion, I will give it a try.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Update.... the scope is just a general tasco 3-12x40(just to get me on the range and in the field for deer season) and it will eventually get upgraded.
    The rifle is a Savage 10fp in 308 and a 24" heavy barrel (gun is nice and heavy like I prefer). Now for the question...
    Recommendations for a good deer round that won't break the bank and good enough for target shooting until I start reloading. Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by MarDet View Post
    Update.... the scope is just a general tasco 3-12x40(just to get me on the range and in the field for deer season) and it will eventually get upgraded.
    The rifle is a Savage 10fp in 308 and a 24" heavy barrel (gun is nice and heavy like I prefer). Now for the question...
    Recommendations for a good deer round that won't break the bank and good enough for target shooting until I start reloading. Thank you for your time.

Mardet: The Savage you have or getting if an 10 FP, Left handed, it should be a 1 and 10 twist, it is consider a short action rifle, really more as an medium action to me, the old load I was shooting, the rifle done a .380 three shot group at a 100 meters. the load with out looking was varget and Federal Gold Medal Match brass, with GMM 210 primers, and 175gr SMK.
    I'm work on a new load, because I've changed over to TMK 175gr for a better B.C.
    The scope should get you started.
    I will never sell mine, Mine was bought around 2002, and I've shot about 800 rounds in it, I don't want to shoot the barrel out, though I have a longer way to go.
    Note if it is a newer one it will come with a Adjustable AccuTrigger
    If not change out the trigger, you will be much happier.
    Last edited by sjohn58; 05-28-2020 at 01:17 AM.

Ads