Question about rifle build ideas

This is a discussion on Question about rifle build ideas within the Rifles forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Im thinking about building a Long range tactical rifle for hunting and target shooting. What I want to do is build a .308 on a ...

Im thinking about building a Long range tactical rifle for hunting and target shooting. What I want to do is build a .308 on a Remington 700 Long Action with a detachable magazine. I want to build on long action so I can magazine feed loads that are seated out to the lands. I plan on getting a local gunsmith to throw everything together for me. Im sure there are a ton of shooters here that have done this and I would like to hear all of your input on the different stocks and other equipment to try for this purpose and where to purchase them, wait time and all that good stuff. Let me know your thoughts on anything you can think of. Thank you in advance any and all advice is appreciated.

Sounds like you have a reasonable plan in mind.I handload for most of my rifles as well.You might think about sending your action to mlammers and having him true the action and massage the bolt/lugs. Most of the advice anyone could give you depends on how much you are willing to spend.The accuracy of your rifle is going to be directly proportionate to the size of your wallet .

Jeff

I hear that (The accuracy of your rifle is going to be directly proportionate to the size of your wallet. ) My wallet is pretty small but I want a quality go to rig and I dont mind making this a long term project and slowly getting parts one at a time. It took me 2 years to get my service rifle where I wanted it for shooting highpower. I was young and a newly wed with a little one on the way and I just got parts one at a time. Now I am 3 years in and got another little one on the way with a new project ready to start up.

Ads