Shotty recs for small frame woman?

This is a discussion on Shotty recs for small frame woman? within the Sidearms / Shotguns forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Hello Folks, Wondering if someone can give me some recc's for a shotgun purchase. Firearm is for a small frame woman. Specs I'm considering: Semi-auto ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello Folks,
    Wondering if someone can give me some recc's for a shotgun purchase. Firearm is for a small frame woman.

Specs I'm considering:

Semi-auto
    20 ga.
    20-24 inch barrel
    Price preferrably lower than $600 US

Thoughts?

Thxs.

My friend turned me onto Charles Daly semi autos.

They're good, cheap, reliable shotguns.

I know Savage and Mossburg have some decently priced semi autos also but I have never used one.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding whats for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

What will it be used for?

How about the Saiga-20 or 12
    JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by whbonney26

Primary use will be on the trap/clays range.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBear
    Quote Originally Posted by whbonney26

Primary use will be on the trap/clays range.
    Oh....I gotcha.
    JOEY

SC Member #2507
    SASS#84934

Bill Of Rights Supporter

Administrator
    26" Vent-rib barrelled Remington 870 Wingmaster, 20 gauge.

With AA loads, she'll do fine, but you'll have to look a bit to get one under $600.

-Nate
    NRA A2 Service Rifle High Master XTC
    NRA A2 Service Rifle Expert LR
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman
    NRA Silhouette AA

Why not an over under? The F.A.I.R. shotguns are probably the best value in high quality shotguns. (Fabbrica Arma Isidoro Rizzini).

Take a look and don't be a schnook.

http://www.fair.it/eng/xlight.html
    I'm a genius. And you are not.

Thanks for the suggestions. Time to do the research.

Kitty - beautiful shotgun there, but I do not see a price list and that leads me to believe that it may be more than I can come up with. It may also be too heavy for my petite, lil lady.

Greetings Bear:

For a small framed woman just starting in the shotgun sports, the 20ga is a good choice. As she gains experience, she wont have much trouble moving to the 12ga as semi-autos offer significant recoil reduction.

In fact, I have started women on the 12ga. shooting extra light 2 3/4" shells with 7/8 oz loads. While the 20ga may not pattern as well as the 12ga, the smaller 20ga frame will permit her to master shotgun fundamentals easier.

Do bear in mind ammo. Those affordable 20ga. 1 oz hunting loads from Walmart can impart as much shoulder thump as a light 7/8 oz 12ga. load. Should recoil still be a factor, a "Kick-EEZ" pad can be added to the stock. Another alternative is a shoulder pad which will comfortably fit under a vest or shirt.

However, when you mention Trap and Sporting Clays, therein lies a quandary.

Foremost, Trap guns are typically configured to shoot high as you are shooting a rising, going away target. Trap guns, (particularly Over/Unders and Semis) are configured with adjustable combs and high narrow ribs which place the point of impact 55% to 80% high over the front bead.

In contrast, skeet or sporting clays guns are are configured with wide low ribs to shoot "flat" as in most cases one is shooting at a crossing or "wing" target. These guns, which the semi is more preferred for have a flat to 55% point of impact over the front bead.

Shotgunning is a pointing sport and not an aiming sport. Shooting a rising trap target with a low rib or flat shooting semi will require the shooter to "cover up" the target with the barrel. Not and easy feat on a target moving away at an angle. Typically in Trap, with the higher point of impact, one shoots under and ahead of the target. This can become quite frustrating and unfair to the shooter with a flat shooting gun.

For most of the shotgun sports I would recommend to the new shooter a semi with at least a 28" barrel. The additional 4" over the receiver will offer a 32" sight plane which is ideal for Trap and Sporting Clays. Simply put, the longer sight plane will make target acquisition much easier. And this is quite acceptable for skeet.

Secondly, if not equipped already, a center bead should be added to the rib so the shooter can consistently mount the gun with a "figure 8", (front bead over center bead.) This can be added for $20. On a flat shooting gun it will permit the shooter to raise the point of impact by making the figure 8 taller.

Remington, Winchester, Browning and others make semis for all the shotgun disciplines. Personally, I would recommend a Beretta Citizen as a starter gun. The gas and recoil system are easy to clean and the gun should not require as much intermittent cleaning as others are prone to.

Secondly, Beretta offers a wide assortment of barrels, so if your lady desires to shoot trap, a trap barrel can be had for perhaps $200. For Trap, the choke should be a Mod or Improved Mod and for Skeet or Sporting Clays an Improved Cylinder, Skeet, or Light Mod is preferred.

Here is a GunBroker listing for a Beretta 3901, 28" barrel for $599. Im sure you can find a listing with a dedicated trap barrel, it shouldn't be hard to find.

Beretta 3901 20 20ga Citizen 28" Brand New 391

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =170420453

If your lady desires a Trap only gun, Browning makes the BT-99, a single shot high rib trap gun in 12ga. These are also quite affordable. The barrel porting and pad on the gun reduces recoil which is quite manageable for ladies. And, ultimately, an over/under is desired by the experienced shooter for trap and sporting clays. But that's for another time

What I don't recommend is an "ultralight". These guns are meant for hunting where 5-15 rounds will be fired over the course of a long walk. Remember, the lighter the gun, the heavier the recoil.

Good Luck,

HoJo

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    Amateur Trapshooting Assoc.
    National Skeet Shooting Assoc.
    National Sporting Clays Assoc.
    Single Action Shooting Society
    NRA DE small bore rifle, Off Hand Pistol

Administrator
    Now THAT's a good answer.

-Nate
    NRA A2 Service Rifle High Master XTC