Sig Sauer 1911 XO .45ACP - post 750 + Sig CS review

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer 1911 XO .45ACP - post 750 + Sig CS review within the Sidearms / Shotguns forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Well, after dithering over which HK to get only to first realize that the handle might be a bit big for me and hence too ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Well, after dithering over which HK to get only to first realize that the handle might be a bit big for me and hence too big for the wife and upon getting the advice of MikeR and Fluffy I found a nicely priced Sig Sauer 1911 XO on Gunbroker for $700.

After the silly 10-day (to the minute...) wait I took delivery of this fine handgun and followed the instructions on disassembly and re-assembly. After an ear-bashing from Fluffy on 'just go out and shoot the blessed thing and don't be a schmoe' I went out and shot the thing...

WOW! I've fired a good few handguns but this was a joy to shoot. I don't know if you can say a pistol wants to be fired, but this firearm wanted to be used. The recoil is surprisingly light and getting on target was not a problem. The accuracy is there in spades and it was taunting me to catch up to it.

The feel of a 1911 is a wonderful thing and an all-forged steel 1911 is something else. Solid in both noun and verb is the best way to describe it. Of course this aspect also aided in the very manageable recoil.

I had 150 rounds of FMJ ammo with me and the XO just ate them up without a second thought. I fired slowly and quickly and the result was the same - shots down range, a smile and a gun saying "well don't just stand there like a school boy, lock and load!"

As I got more familiar with it and adjusted my grip to where I was comfortable I practiced some double-tap techniques I watched on YouTube (yes, I know... but what else is there to do when you have to wait 10 days for a gun...) and it wasn't half-bad. The easy recoil lets you get back on target quickly - I'm just missing the skill to make the most of it.

The trigger is very good, however I do feel the tiniest bit of creep. It's factory set at 5 lbs and it pops very nicely. I'll wait to see if the trigger changes and if not I might see about getting it seen to.

Things to mention are that after I field stripped it and put it back together I noticed the slide stop was extremely hard to disengage, it took two hands (or thumbs) to do it and I'm not a weak dude. After a consult with Fluffy, the All-Knowing Cat promised that after a good session at the range the gun would settle down and all would work well. He was right. Of course. I just stripped the pistol for cleaning and putting it back together again was a breeze and the slide stop was as civilized as tea with Oscar Wilde and my Aunt Maple.

This is a home defense gun as the shotgun option isn't available to me. Therefore I think (because I am...) having a feeling of confidence and resolve when handling a home defense gun is important. I'm not a trained operator, I'm not conditioned to function in a heightened state of 'fight or flight' and so I could do with all the help I can get if ever I need the gun for its intended purpose. The Sig Sauer 1911 XO gives me enormous confidence and it's one less thing to worry about. Which is a good thing in my books.

Having a firearm like this, makes me more aware of the terrible consequences that thoughtlessness and negligence can have when around firearms. I guess because this was mine (my first pistol) that this obvious statement was impressed upon me. It really made me think about everything I was doing. Unlike the other guns, this one was going home with me and after cleaning, this was going to be near my bedside, for use in case it's needed. Serious stuff. When the time comes, I'm going to engrave on this gun the following quotation:

"Cogito ergo sum"

I think, therefore I am.

Firearms are for those who are aware of themselves and their environment. They are not for the apathetic, the mind-numbed and sheeple who are not interested in what's between the lines. My journey into gun-ownership has progressed with a hugely positive and important way I feel. I look forward to more revelations.

It's been a good day.

Pics!

Ah, this is the 'good side'...
    "What we do for ourselves, dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine

Awesome post, but..... how about some pictures of the thing?

ask and ye shall receive... pics are up!

Cheers
    "What we do for ourselves, dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Glad to here you like your Sig. Looks good too. Now have mike send it to Birdsong and have it done up to match your rifle :wink:

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by beck.jamie
    Glad to here you like your Sig. Looks good too. Now have mike send it to Birdsong and have it done up to match your rifle :wink:

Jamie
    Thanks Jaime, I read about your issues with yours while I was waiting for mine... sleepless nights! I haven't fired any hollow-points through it so when I do I'll write up an update.

How long did it take to get yours Birdsong'd? I don't know if I can part with this for several weeks on end just yet...

Cheers

I had one of these for a while and ended up parting with it. Not because it was a bad gun, it shot EXTREMELY accurately and was reliable enough to never have a malfunction in the ~500 rds that I fired through it.

The reasons that led to me parting with it were that I'm just not that into 1911's. And the second reason is, I wear my handguns and I was unable to find a decent holster for it (I'm very particular when it comes to holsters). The squared off top of the slide makes it just different enough from any other 1911 that a nicely fit holster made for a 1911 will not work. And at the time, my options were severely limited. Hopefully there is a better selection of holsters for SIG 1911's nowadays.

I admit, it was probably the most accurate handgun that I've ever fired.

[quote=Pen&Sword]
    Quote Originally Posted by "beck.jamie":1t3vmiej

Jamie
    Thanks Jaime, I read about your issues with yours while I was waiting for mine... sleepless nights! I haven't fired any hollow-points through it so when I do I'll write up an update.

How long did it take to get yours Birdsong'd? I don't know if I can part with this for several weeks on end just yet...

Cheers[/quote:1t3vmiej]

my Sig was having problems with ball ammo. So, I never put hollow pionts throug it. The birdsong took 6 weeks and well worth the wait. I would shoot yours until your rifle shows up and then send it to birdsong.

Jamie

So today I reached the 500 round mark. Acutally 550 to be exact. As I improve I'm starting to really appreciate just how accurate this pistol is. I've only managed to get to an indoor range and I'm just trying to get proficient at 10yds freehand. Today I was able to put 8 rounds inside an inch & half around the bullseye. Nothing special by all accounts of people doing the same at 25yds but a good day for me.

However - twice now - the slide did not lock on the empty mag. This has been the only issue and happened once after about 30 rounds and then again towards the end - about round 80 or so (I fired 100 today). Is this part of regular break -in?

I did a thorough clean and oil before this session at the range. Could I have over-oiled the gun?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

What kind of mags are you using?

The Sig mags that came with the pistol. I didn't notice if it was with the same mags or both. I'll watch out for it next time. Is this a mag issue then?

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads