Wheelgun usage

Wheelgun usage

This is a discussion on Wheelgun usage within the Sidearms / Shotguns forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Do any armed forces still carry revolvers? I don't mean police, I mean armies or (this I seriously doubt) SWAT. If so, why, and if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheelgun usage

Wheelgun usage

Do any armed forces still carry revolvers? I don't mean police, I mean armies or (this I seriously doubt) SWAT. If so, why, and if not, why not?
    I'd think there would be some people that would prefer them, but I don't know if there's the option of carrying your own sidearm in _____ situation.

APK

I think a little J-frame is the perfect last ditch gun but I do not know if anyone is using them.

Yeah I agree if you get rushed and you can't get out you can unload a .357 snubby into whatever comes your way til you can regroup, just wondering if someone uses... say... something in the region of a 6" Colt Python.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mosin_freak
    just wondering if someone uses... say... something in the region of a 6" Colt Python.
    My father has a 6" Python and that is arguably one of the most accurate handguns I have shot. I wouldn't hesistate to defend myself from anyone or anything up to a Rhino with the Python.

In reality, the only military or LE application I've read of modern revolvers was some internally suppressed revolver in use with the FSB of Russia. However, the credability of this is arguable. It's dangerous to trust what you read these days. Just my two bits. Cheers.
    "All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
    Sir Winston Churchill

Wow pressing enter sending that message just cost me half a beer all over my keyboard... karma? I hope not.
    "All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
    Sir Winston Churchill

Yeah, I knew Russia had a very obscure one not in much use. It was more of a leave-no-brass-behind weapon if you get what I'm sayin. The little old Nagant .30 seals off the chamber so you can silence it too but that's old tech. Yeah I guess everyone uses high-cap 9s and 45s now...

I've seen MPs training with revolvers, I think they were .38s, no idea why.

That being said, we (engineers) trained with winchester model 1897 shotguns. Yes, thats right the WW1 "trench broom" They had bayonet lugs...

Quote Originally Posted by mosin_freak
    Yeah I guess everyone uses high-cap 9s and 45s now...
    Who uses .45acp these days other than some elements of the US military?

Most noteably Canada, they still use a 1911 made my Para-Ord.
    I think Brazil has a couple but I'm not sure how widespread their use is
    We still use 1911s and some other stuff (Don't we?) on a pretty decent scale
    I'm not sure if Israel is going to adopt the Barak pistol, but if they do I wouldn't be surprised if they go for .45... why I have no idea it's just a feeling.
    There's not really that many compared to 9s I'm just sayin. It's more of a group than a specific caliber... same with 10mm, 357 sig, 40s&w, etc.

Yeah I didn't have any motive to the question, I was just curious.

Israel uses 9mm in the form of the Glock 17, while Canada uses 9mm in the form of the Browning High Power (unless I am mistaken muzz?).

America is the only nation I know of who uses .45 in any numbers, and even for you it is only special forces now isn't it?

I think even Russia uses 9x19mm these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads