K-Bar Knife - Page 2

K-Bar Knife

This is a discussion on K-Bar Knife within the Sidearms / Shotguns forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I agree with the shorter blades for skinning game. But when in Texas around the Alamo, Bowies are the thing, but not for skinning animals. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: K-Bar Knife

I agree with the shorter blades for skinning game. But when in Texas around the Alamo, Bowies are the thing, but not for skinning animals. Always wanted a bowie but for a folder, what about this one?

Unknown.jpeg
    In adversity remember to keep an even mind, train hard and fight easy.
    Horace/Alexander Suvoro

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra49er View Post
    I agree with the shorter blades for skinning game. But when in Texas around the Alamo, Bowies are the thing, but not for skinning animals. Always wanted a bowie but for a folder, what about this one?

Unknown.jpeg
    I think even with the remove of blade length restriction laws in Texas, that knife is excessive. If the job at hand requires more than a four inch blade it's best completed with a fixed blade knife. The only reason to carry a folding knife with a blade longer than four inches is to show it off. If that's your intention, by all means, go ahead.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the only people around the Alamo in San Antonio who appreciate Bowie knifes are people with neck beards.

Banned
    x2 on value of short blade. Carrying a Bowie knife on your hip IMO is the best way to id someone who hasn't field dressed many deer or larger animals. 3.5-4" blades are my go to cutters on deer in the field. When you're in the chest cavity, bigger knives tend to get snagged and just seem unwieldy in the tight quarters trying to get everything loose so you can roll the animal over and get everything out. snaptube telegram web
    Last edited by blankoya; 01-01-2020 at 06:13 PM.
    Martino1 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

It does the job but I mainly stick to my working knives and keep the k-bar for 'collecting', last thing i want to do it put too much wear on the handle etc.

I sometimes get stuck taking the meat of the bone for the rookie hunters in our camp that never carved up anything let alone a deer. I have a butcher knife set that I've added to over the years. I consists of 1 straight and two curved boning knives(Victorinox) 3 skinning knives(Victorinox) , a 10" chefs knife (not sure brand) for cutting back straps and steaks or stew meat out of hind quarters. I got a 12" Scimitar I think its spelled that I bought on a lark cause I thought I's use it and I still go back to my 10"chef. I use a steel to touch up the blades once maybe twice while deboning a deer. I bring a Smiths Tri hone as a just in case if needed. I usually don't use the trihone on my knives, its usually for the other guys in camp who don't keep their blades up. I have a Tormek T-7 sharpener with a 1000 and a 4000 grit wheels that make my knives very sharp once I learned how to use the machine. The whole butcher set gets run through the Tormek with the 4000 wheel before I head out for deer season in PA.

Hunting knives are cool but when it gets down to cutting meat, I've found butcher knives to be the ticket to take it off the bone and processing meat. I take all my deer meat off the bone in camp because it packs up so much nicer and takes up so much less space in the cooler for the 1200 mile trip home. As a result I need a smaller cooler and less ice to get the meat home.

I stopped collecting knives because with all the hunting knives that I have, I keep going back to the short blades (Buck Knives) for gutting and sometimes skinning and the butcher set for carving up the meat. Just my .02

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads