K-Bar Knife

K-Bar Knife

This is a discussion on K-Bar Knife within the Sidearms / Shotguns forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I been eye balling this one for a couple yrs. so I order it last week and it was delivered a couple hrs. ago. Any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: K-Bar Knife

K-Bar Knife

I been eye balling this one for a couple yrs. so I order it last week and it was delivered a couple hrs. ago. Any Nam Veterans have this K-Bar knife,if you do what's your opinion of the knife? 37791682_1799931823418885_387883749246763008_n.jpg
    Last edited by If1Hitu; 07-26-2018 at 07:25 PM.
    Get Some 3/5,Semper Fi.
    You Only Live Once!
    Oorah!!

Not a Vietnam vet, but I'm got a USMC version of this knife. Wasn't in USMC either. Anyways, I think the knife quite a bit. The 7" blade is useful. I've skinned an entire bull elk with mine. Holds an edge very well.

I do sometimes wish I had the 5" version of the knife. I find 5" blades more useable in more varied situations.
    If1Hitu likes this.

x2 on value of short blade. Carrying a Bowie knife on your hip IMO is the best way to id someone who hasn't field dressed many deer or larger animals. 3.5-4" blades are my go to cutters on deer in the field. When you're in the chest cavity, bigger knives tend to get snagged and just seem unwieldy in the tight quarters trying to get everything loose so you can roll the animal over and get everything out.

Once I get them hung, skinning is done redneck style with a quad or a truck. Then I use a boning butcher knife to quarter, take off the straps and take meat off neck for grinding. I have the USMC KBAR. It is a great knife for its intended military application, but it's a little stout for gutting or cutting meat. It can do it, it's just not my first choice.
    If1Hitu likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Martino1 View Post
    x2 on value of short blade. Carrying a Bowie knife on your hip IMO is the best way to id someone who hasn't field dressed many deer or larger animals. 3.5-4" blades are my go to cutters on deer in the field. When you're in the chest cavity, bigger knives tend to get snagged and just seem unwieldy in the tight quarters trying to get everything loose so you can roll the animal over and get everything out.

Once I get them hung, skinning is done redneck style with a quad or a truck. Then I use a boning butcher knife to quarter, take off the straps and take meat off neck for grinding. I have the USMC KBAR. It is a great knife for its intended military application, but it's a little stout for gutting or cutting meat. It can do it, it's just not my first choice.
    It's funny to mentioning short blades as 3.5-4"... My field dressing knife is around 3". Anything bigger than that and I find that the knife just is too big on deer.

David

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yoda4x4 View Post
    It's funny to mentioning short blades as 3.5-4"... My field dressing knife is around 3". Anything bigger than that and I find that the knife just is too big on deer.

David

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    I've got a buck knife that is 3", I used it in once on a deer. I carry it occasionally in my pocket just cause I always keep a knife handy. My buck with the S30V steel is 4" I think, the other Buck is gut hook with a rubber handle that's about the same blade length. The rubber handle doesn't slide in my hand when it gets covered in blood n chunks.

The KBAR I've got has a 7" blade and having used shorter blades, I'm a fan of the shorties.

I have a buddy that is a knifesmith. For a number of years, I had him make me a new blade each year for hunting season out of high carbon steel. I picked the blades out of a Janus (I think that's the name). All told I think I still have around 15 knives from him. Most of the handles are Coco Bolo fixed blades. Over the years I given some of these fine crafted knives to my best friends. Even with all those knives worth some serious $, I go back to Buck in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Martino1 View Post
    I have a buddy that is a knifesmith. For a number of years, I had him make me a new blade each year for hunting season out of high carbon steel. I picked the blades out of a Janus (I think that's the name). All told I think I still have around 15 knives from him. Most of the handles are Coco Bolo fixed blades. Over the years I given some of these fine crafted knives to my best friends.
    Hey friend :wink::wink: Just kidding. LOL

Below is a link to the knife I use with the only exception being that mine doesn't have black blades; they're stainless steel.

https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-.../dp/B000UUXDTK

It takes a wicked sharp edge fairly quickly.

David

I got my K-Bar in 1967 and yes I have had good luck with.

I have the 5 inch USMC Version that was giving to me years ago.....Bluing is pretty worn but it is still sharp and very serviceable. I also have a D2 Extreme with a 7 inch that is just to big...Still in the box and plastic after all these years.

Karsten

Depends on what you want to use it for. For cutting and general purpose, it is a very good choice. For survival, if it is the only one, why not. I have a WWI British Bayonet that I finally (took many hours) put a good edge on. It is a great short sword and worthy of taking to the field. For survival, not so much. Also like the Cold Steel Bowie, it is a good one for defense and possibly survival if it is the only one. I also have a Heller Boot knife that is worthy of carrying. Also, a good fighting knife is good to carry for self defense, but survival or in the field, possibly if it is the only one one has. Another good idea is a multi-purpose tool. For fighting, not so much, for general purpose stuff, it is more handy than a Swiss Army knife - or is it?

Point is, find out what use you need for a knife and then decide upon four or five including your K-Bar.
    In adversity remember to keep an even mind, train hard and fight easy.
    Horace/Alexander Suvoro

I have done two decent sized deer with a small Swiss Army Knife, Once by change and once by intention. Used the bone saw to cut the legs off one. Dont forget to bring your hunting knife next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads