Attention - Password and Security Update

This is a discussion on Attention - Password and Security Update within the Site Help and Support forums, part of the New Member Area category; Hey all, Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure ...

Hey all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

I'm a member of numerous internet fora. This is the only one that's forcing me to have a 10 digit password that must include symbols, and that's going to force me to change my password yearly.

Any particular reason for this? Have a large number of forum users had their accounts hacked, or what.....?
    I can shoot moa sized groups all day, every day, with pretty much any rifle. It's just a pity that I don't live in New Zealand, and that they're extinct.......

Are there plans to implement https/SSL so passwords aren't sent in the clear during the login process?

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Hi there,

We are working on implementing SSL, just ensuring functionality across all our sites. There is no official ETA right now.

Fergus

Ads