Natural Point of Aim

Natural Point of Aim

This is a discussion on Natural Point of Aim within the SOP forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I was reading an article the other day about precision shooting and the topic of a Natural Point of Aim was mentioned. However, it didnt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Natural Point of Aim

I was reading an article the other day about precision shooting and the topic of a Natural Point of Aim was mentioned. However, it didnt mention what a good Natural Point of Aim was or how to obtain one. I was taught to shoot by my dad and though he went over many of the fundamentals of shooting, a natural point of aim was never mentioned. I'm guessing the arm didn't teach that inthe 50's. Plus, besides a quick patrol carbine class, all the training I've received for work has been pistol training.

So, what is a natural point of aim and how do you obtain one?

hey

Well natural point of aim also known as (NPA) is used among precision shooters all the time. It is one of the most important things to know. I check m NPA ever time i shoot and adjust it for each target i shoot at. What NPA is the natural way your body points the firearm. It is more used for positions that are either free hand or with slings. What you do is get your position and set yourself on the target. Now when you are all in your position and ready to fire close your eye for 5 seconds and then open them and look to see where the rifle is pointing. If you are dead on the target where you closed your eyes on, your NPA is good. If you are off left or right or up or down your NPA is off and you need to adjust your position accordingly. This is not something that you can pick up right away you need to practice with it to figure out what particular things with your position move you different ways. The thing is that say if your NPA is off to the upper right hand side of the target and you do not adjust yourself, you will most likely pull that shot to the upper right hand side thats where your body wants to go. And when the NPA is off and you do not correct it people try to fight the position to get it on target this results in more movement and wild shots that you wonder where they came out of. If your NPA is right and you try to fight it you will get a left and right movement and the shot is either going to go left or right, most of the time the body wins.

I hope this helps. Ask me anything else that you would like to know. I would be glad to help.

I am sure Raven will comment on this also.

Lax.

laxratnd wrote something good. You can also take a look at Recoil's post, the one from Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:04 pm: http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/...=asc&start=161.

He explained very well how to obtain it.
    "Fight for something you believe in and find it for yourself. If you do, pass it on to the future." --Solid Snake

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info. That earlier post was helpful. Again thanks.

Lax and Recoil pretty much wrapped it up.

For me, I know I have an NPA when I'm down on point, and up to aim.

I look through the sights at that target.......close my eyes for the count of 10 seconds.....then open them again.....and I should still be on target. If I am not, then I wasn't aiming on my NPA.

I then carefully move and get back on aim and do the same drill again.

After the eyes closed and count, the final position is the NPA - where the rifle is now naturally aimed without any physical input.

I experimented once with my NPA and once I had drilled myself and was perfectly settled, I made a 0.3" group at 25yds with 10 shots......and I hadn't opened my eyes during the actual shooting.

It takes a lot of self discipline though - you have to be so honest with yourself - Don't lie and try to tell yourself you are on your NPA - be brutally honest and if you are off target, then adjust yourself.
    - - - A good rifleman understands the importance of the .22LR - - -
    Hidden Content

The other pretty much covered it.

I get in what I think is a good position, close my eyes and go through several cycles of breathing. Then I open my eyes and see where my crosshairs lay. Adjust accordingly. If you arent shooting from NPA then you are "muscling" the gun on target. When it reoils it won't settle back on target you will have to muscle it back on target.
    Wherever - Whatever - However

Thanks for link and info, I always wondered how to do this. I thought differently

Erik :wink:

i do a similar thing once i find my NPA buy doing the eye close thing, i then watch my sights /crosshair & beath in and out, if your NPA is right you sights will go straight up & down if your off it will go at a angle. this works well in all positions.

Thanks Guys....

So you are supposed to be back on target after the recoil... OOPS...

After the shot I am all over the place....

John

!!!

When I was very young shooter an instructor told me to try and find the most "relaxed" position for shooting. But like any other young shooter I did it hard way and slow myself for couple of months trying to shoot positions adults use. But, with time I learned how to hold my rifle in order to get consistent groups. (He never told me : hey your shooting position is bad because he knew what's up). I developed some muscles other people don't even know they exist. Bottom line : I changed, my body changed and the rifle remained the same and oddly enough my groups become tighter.
    I can vouch for Sam said, not because it's Sam but because I personally saw what my instructor can do whit his pistol when shooting with one hand in his pocket. But I can also agree that NPA is important, but I don't know if the principles we read are, de-facto standard, but they can be used as a guidance. Would anyone here use a position that don't fit them? I don't think so. When I'm out to buy shoe's I try to find correct size rather than correct design.

Slip
    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." -- Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads