Both Eyes Open - Page 2

Both Eyes Open

This is a discussion on Both Eyes Open within the SOP forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Originally Posted by gsmithplm My main issue is that I am right handed but left eye dominant. You can learn to cope with that but ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Both Eyes Open

Quote Originally Posted by gsmithplm View Post
    My main issue is that I am right handed but left eye dominant. You can learn to cope with that but it requires a hell of a lot of concentration.
    One "trick" that helps a lot of shooters with this problem is to put a piece of scotch tape in the center of the lens of your shooting glasses on the non-aiming side. This tends to "distract" the dominant eye enough to let the "shooting eye" take over. Using a small piece of tape leaves enough vision to see flags, anti-cant levels, etc.

I agree that closing one eye is a good way to strain the important eye and also end the day with a large headache.

You can sometimes "retrain" left-dominant eye. Wear a patch over it for several days while going about your normal activities (except driving where depth perception is essential). After a while your "shooting eye" will take over. Some Apache helicopter pilots, where the sighting and night vision system is a monocular device, have managed to use this method successfully if they have a left eye dominant issue.

It also helps to keep your prescription up to date if you wear corrective lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by deadshot2 View Post
    One "trick" that helps a lot of shooters with this problem is to put a piece of scotch tape in the center of the lens of your shooting glasses on the non-aiming side. This tends to "distract" the dominant eye enough to let the "shooting eye" take over. Using a small piece of tape leaves enough vision to see flags, anti-cant levels, etc.

I agree that closing one eye is a good way to strain the important eye and also end the day with a large headache.

You can sometimes "retrain" left-dominant eye. Wear a patch over it for several days while going about your normal activities (except driving where depth perception is essential). After a while your "shooting eye" will take over. Some Apache helicopter pilots, where the sighting and night vision system is a monocular device, have managed to use this method successfully if they have a left eye dominant issue.

It also helps to keep your prescription up to date if you wear corrective lenses.
    Just want to make sure I understand your suggestion. I am right eye dominant. That would mean I should stick a small piece of clear scotch tape in the middle of my left lense?

That's definitely going to throw me off, but I'll give it a try.

The tape would go over your dominant eye, to let your non-dominant eye become... "more dominant."

This is only advised when you have a dominant hand/side, which doesn't match your dominant eye.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Got it, thanks man.

I go both open to get fov. for safety alone

SW Ohio when I am not on my motorcycle riding north
    Wow I am pleasantly surprised by the comments here. I thought I would be the minority in this. I have shot traditional bow (I build them too) for years. I shoot instinctive mostly. I have always ,even with a compound, shot both eyes open. I am also right handed but have a weak right eye. If / when I shoot left everything is much clearer. But my habit is right handed. My eye dominance has switched back and forth depending on what I am doing. It is pretty weird. But I have always found both eyes open easier for me. I may close it for a second if I am having trouble focusing but that isn't terribly often.

Talk about the safety of this. I have a archery story that this saved me and my daughter a lot of grief if not her life. She was little maybe 5. I was practicing and as I was about to shoot she ran out in front of me directly in the line of my shot. And by saying I was about to shoot I mean I was pressing the release trigger. Scared me to death but if I had been one eye closed I would have never seen her. I was at my in-laws house shooting in their yard...first and last time I did that. Daughter is 18 now... Hence the longer range weapons LOL

Funny side note on the eye dominence thing. I just bought me and my Fiance bows a first for both of us. I am right eye dominent right handed. She is right handed but doesnt seam to have a dominent eye. So she sent her first 5 down no problem we set up her scope a little at a time. the next five she was 5' to the left at 10 yds. baffled me so we shot another 5 and half were on the other half were 5 ' left. Thats when i asked are you always using your right eye and she said no. been shooting 4 times now and she groups under 4" at 20 yds.
    JasonL1973 likes this.

Everyone has a dominant eye. There was an article I read in regard to electrochemical pathways and how the signals received by our eyes are interpreted by our brains... and it is a physiological impossibility to not have a dominant eye. Of course I can't find the article now... but the gist of it is that only one eye is tied into the "faster processor" in our brain which translates into superior hand-eye coordination. Anything that relies on optical alignment of an object in our hands, to another object in our 3D world is governed by this mechanism. Granted we are talking about being extraordinary vs being ordinary. For proof of this, look at something in the room, close your eyes, turn your head away from it, and point at the object you were originally fixated on. Then open your eyes and check your point. Most people will be able to point at it with extreme precision. Try to perform this same thing with one eye, first your dominant eye, then your non-dominant. You might be amazed.

Our brains and bodies have amazing capabilities if we but get out of their way. The instinctive faculty of precision in our 3D world is greatly dependent upon us using our dominant eye for optical alignment of the things we have in our hands.
    Last edited by Orkan; 06-26-2014 at 02:07 PM.

I agree with that, she definately has a dominent eye just chose not to use it every time, and i think i may have read the same article. Its in a womans nature to challenge everything.

Quote Originally Posted by the m700 project View Post
    Its in a womans nature to challenge everything.
    Didn't they used to get hit for that?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads