Just started shooting long range - Page 3

Just started shooting long range

This is a discussion on Just started shooting long range within the SOP forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Originally Posted by Raymond Balducci Does the trajectory change that much with a hot barrel? Simple answer: YES, it can. Just how hot until that ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Just started shooting long range

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Balducci View Post
    Does the trajectory change that much with a hot barrel?
    Simple answer: YES, it can.

Just how hot until that happens depends on the barrel configuration> And the caliber being fired is a factor and how hot atmospheric conditions can get you to that point quickly and take quite some time to cool down.

I have a sporter barrel on my .308 and I stop shooting when the barrel reaches 122įF. And since I'm here in Arizona, on hot days (90į and up) I put barrel fan in the chamber to help cool it down a quickly as possible. If my barrel gets over that 122į my groups begin to open up noticeably. I also tend to try and keep the barrel somewhat cool in order to keep wear and tear down on the throat/lands.

[QUOTE=che.gustavo;700122]Soon enough, youíll start reloading youíre own match ammo!

Lol. Iím looking for someone to trade. Every 3 brass pieces, I get one round back reloaded. I think thatís fair.

So yeah, like you said, I see one go off, and Iím fixing my scope. Mag-dumping a bolt action rifle cause I get frustrated. Before you know it, no more ammo, and I leave shooting worse than when I got there.

Iím trying my best to do it right but I do lurk around experienced shooters and ask them. Itís mostly military and ex military guys at my range. Problem is, I ask 3 guys I get 3 different opinions. I guess itís best to just slowdown. Maybe shoot an AR with iron sights at 50 yards in between every ten Win Mag shots.

[QUOTE=Raymond Balducci;700130]
    Quote Originally Posted by che.gustavo View Post
    Maybe shoot an AR with iron sights at 50 yards in between every ten Win Mag shots.
    That's like what I do in that when I'm waiting for my barrel to cool down, I shoot my .22LR that's configured much like the center fire as a trainer. I get a lot more trigger pulls this way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

[QUOTE=Raymond Balducci;700130]
    Quote Originally Posted by che.gustavo View Post
    Soon enough, youíll start reloading youíre own match ammo!

Lol. Iím looking for someone to trade. Every 3 brass pieces, I get one round back reloaded. I think thatís fair.

So yeah, like you said, I see one go off, and Iím fixing my scope. Mag-dumping a bolt action rifle cause I get frustrated. Before you know it, no more ammo, and I leave shooting worse than when I got there.

Iím trying my best to do it right but I do lurk around experienced shooters and ask them. Itís mostly military and ex military guys at my range. Problem is, I ask 3 guys I get 3 different opinions. I guess itís best to just slowdown. Maybe shoot an AR with iron sights at 50 yards in between every ten Win Mag shots.
    The parachute law applies: only trust your own reloads! Also, the point of reloading your own match ammo is to tailor it to your gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tonytoshiba likes this.

Nothing matters so much as trigger time. It's a whole lot cheaper and easier to work on mechanics with rimfire's and small caliber centerfires.
    I think nothing of putting 250 rounds of 22lr down range,150 rds of 17WSM or 50 to 100 rds of 223 Rem in single session, multiple times per week. I definitely won't do that with any larger caliber centerfires.
    Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. No one is entitled to their own facts. Beliefs don't change facts. Facts should change beliefs.

Many good suggestions posted above. As was said earlier it is difficult to diagnose without more information. Would one of the range officers shoot your rifle for you to help eliminate the possibility of there being an inherent problem with your equipment. Not sure of your range rules.
    Use only one type of cartridge, keep variables out if you can.
    Are you loading the bi-pod a bit so all is not free floating which would cause a lack of recoil consistency.
    Pull trigger through recoil, release after recoil finished.
    There is an old saying, aim small miss small. If you aim at a button small tight groups. If you aim at the trunk there is a good chance you will miss big. I put a V with a horizontal line under the point to make a small point to shoot at 440 yards. It helps me to aim small.
    When a good rifle shooter is finished shooting ask him if you could buy him a cup of coffee and chat for a bit. Let the shooter know you are not greatly experienced, don't be pushy or to self deprecating. Watch how he shoots from a distance, behind and slightly beside the shooter, no crowding.
    Practice, practice, practice. Get some caps and practice at home to help prevent anticipation of recoil. Have a friend or co-shooter fill your magazine for you, with or without snap caps.

Remember to have fun, be safe, and be patient.
    Raymond Balducci likes this.

In addition keep your ammunition at a cool temperature.
    Raymond Balducci likes this.

op, what you need is a crash course. What state are you in?

So today I used a sandbag instead of a bipod and my groupings were much better. Maybe bipod require a lot of experience? But those Caldwell bags were helpful

Quote Originally Posted by ballisticxlr View Post
    op, what you need is a crash course. What state are you in?
    Iím in NJ.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ads