Just started shooting long range

This is a discussion on Just started shooting long range within the SOP forums, part of the Sniping Related category; With the paper with the one inch squares on it, @200yds, my groupings are within a 6 sq inch range. I breathe slowly and deep. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Just started shooting long range

With the paper with the one inch squares on it, @200yds, my groupings are within a 6 sq inch range. I breathe slowly and deep. I slowly engage the trigger as I exhale. Iím using a Leupold 4-12 scope. The gun is a Savage Stealth 300 Win Mag. Any tips on whatís going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be any number of things, from load specs, barrel condition to other shooter mechanics (like recoil management, rifle support like front and rear bag configuration). More details need to be known to have any idea what might be going on. Otherwise, the responses are nothing more than a shot in the dark.
    Raymond Balducci likes this.

Step 1: Don't exhale as you squeeze, squeeze after you exhale. You have a natural respiratory pause for several seconds after an exhale. Use it. Don't breathe deep. Just breathe.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by straightshooter1 View Post
    Could be any number of things, from load specs, barrel condition to other shooter mechanics (like recoil management, rifle support like front and rear bag configuration). More details need to be known to have any idea what might be going on. Otherwise, the responses are nothing more than a shot in the dark.
    I use a bipod on a bench and a small sandbag under the butt. I use Remington and Federal ammo (Hornady wasnít working for me). I have a telescopic stock in the back with a muzzle break in the front. Wind isnít the issue. Itís me. Iím trying to learn how but nobody who really knows how to shoot goes to my range except for the range officers who work there who arenít much help.

Quote Originally Posted by ballisticxlr View Post
    Step 1: Don't exhale as you squeeze, squeeze after you exhale. You have a natural respiratory pause for several seconds after an exhale. Use it. Don't breathe deep. Just breathe.
    Agree.

Maybe this link will help him along this line:

https://www.primalrights.com/library...ship-breathing

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Balducci View Post
    I use a bipod on a bench and a small sandbag under the butt. I use Remington and Federal ammo (Hornady wasn’t working for me). I have a telescopic stock in the back with a muzzle break in the front. Wind isn’t the issue. It’s me. I’m trying to learn how but nobody who really knows how to shoot goes to my range except for the range officers who work there who aren’t much help.
    You might find the article written on this website of some help (though having a lot to do with the prone position, a lot can be applied to shooting off a bench, and there other articles with info you may find of help too)

https://www.primalrights.com/library...iring-position

Iíve also noticed that my rifle shoots better when itís not clean. Is that just a coincidence? Iíve read that link. Thanks

Don't clean your bore just because you shot the gun. It will shoot more consistently when dirty, up to a point. When it gets to that point, then clean.

My match rifles might get thoroughly cleaned 1 time over the entire life of the barrel.
    tonytoshiba likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ballisticxlr View Post
    Don't clean your bore just because you shot the gun. It will shoot more consistently when dirty, up to a point. When it gets to that point, then clean.

My match rifles might get thoroughly cleaned 1 time over the entire life of the barrel.
    Thanks for the tip. Thatís what the guy who assembled it for me said. I thought he was nuts. Iíll let it ride dirty for a while. Iíll keep the outside clean from rust and stuff though. Yes?

Dirty barrel/clean barrel, breathing, position behind rifle, ammo will all make a difference. However usually not 3 moa difference. If you are shooting 1 moa and want to shoot 1/2 moa then these things will usually get you there if the rifle is capable.

I bet that at 3 moa there is a significant problem or a stack of small problems...not any one small thing.

Do you know for certain that your rifle is capable of better than 3 moa? Is the scope trashed? Have you tried a different scope? All screws tight? Action screws, scope base screws, ring screws? Is the barrel floating?
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads