New scope is not consistent

This is a discussion on New scope is not consistent within the SOP forums, part of the Sniping Related category; Is it me? Is the barrel too hot? A few shots from a Savage Stealth 110 in 300 win mag @ 200 yards are perfect. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it me? Is the barrel too hot? A few shots from a Savage Stealth 110 in 300 win mag @ 200 yards are perfect. Then suddenly it feels like theyíre veering off at no fault of my own. Is it a common experience that the scope was mounted slightly loose? First day e we other the scope. Itís a Nikon FX1000 6-24x50. Is it m? Or is the rifle too powerful for the scope and knocking if off line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meant to say: first day with the scope

It is very possible that the Nikon is not holding zero. I have very limited experience with scopes, and I have personally seen two Nikon's give out.

It is also possible that the scope is loose. Have you checked all of the mounting screws in base and rings?

It is also possible that the barrel is heating up enough in those few shots that it is wandering.
    Does it return to zero when it cools?

It is possible that an unbedded stock is allowing the barreled action to move in the stock causing zero shift. Stock may also be flexing causing contact with barrel which will throw shots.

could be a lot of things. These are a few to try.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

ďIt is also possible that the barrel is heating up enough in those few shots that it is wandering.
    Does it return to zero when it cools? ď

Thatís a new thing to me about the barrel getting hot enough to throw off the shots a few inches at 200 yards. Iíll try that. But I also had a Nikon scope where the reticle busted. It was a $150 scope so I didnít mind, plus Nikon replaced it for free. So, maybe if itís not holding zero, should I just return the scope? Or is it a mounting issue?

X2 bad experience w Nikon rifle scopes. I also had two not hold zero. I took them back to BP for a refund. I also had a pair of binos that I left on my boat. Moisture got into the unit. I sent it back for warranty and they said I dropped it in the water. Let’s just say their warranty is NOT “No Questions asked”, More like we’re going to try like heck not to back the product. They eventually sent a replacement after more conversations than I care to ever have again. This occurred about 8 years ago. Maybe they changed their behavior.
    Last edited by Martino1; 10-21-2019 at 04:06 PM.

If the scope is not holding zero, then I would send it back and sell it when you get it back. There are many things at play here though that need to be sorted through before you know for sure that it is the scope.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

I have 2 more weeks to return it for a refund. So Iíll try some other things before sending it back because the price was very good. But Iím thinking it may be me. Iíve only been shooting long guns since July 2019. I donít have anyone really good at my local range to test the scope and eliminate human error. The employees are all forbidden from shooting during work hours. Maybe one of them can shoot my set up after work as a favor.

One thing you do need to be careful of is if your over tighten the rings on a Nikon, the scope may not function properly. Check with Nikon as to what they recommend but I believe the specs are somewhere around 14-18 inch pounds of torque. If you tightened it my hand you may have over done it. Check with the manufacturer regarding their recommended torque specs.... and if you don't already have one, borrow or get yourself a FAT Wrench they're great for getting the right torque on not only rings, but also scope bases, action screws/bolts etc.

Testing barrel spacing

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Balducci View Post
    Is it me? Is the barrel too hot? A few shots from a Savage Stealth 110 in 300 win mag @ 200 yards are perfect. Then suddenly it feels like theyíre veering off at no fault of my own. Is it a common experience that the scope was mounted slightly loose? First day e we other the scope. Itís a Nikon FX1000 6-24x50. Is it m? Or is the rifle too powerful for the scope and knocking if off line.

An easy way to find out if it is heat expansion, take a dollar bill and wrap it around the barrel and sliding it up the barrel towards the scope and all the way to the barrel lug. Do this both hot and cold. If there is any resistance, the barrel is beginning to press against the stock as it heats up. An easy fix is to substitute a strip of fine sanding belt for the dollar bill and work it up to the barrel lug, pulling the sand paper back and forth to widen the free float gap. Just my two bits worth.

Do you have another scope you can try on it? If you have a scope that you know is reliable mount it and test it out.
    Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. No one is entitled to their own facts. Beliefs don't change facts. Facts should change beliefs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads