Suppressor help

Suppressor help

This is a discussion on Suppressor help within the Supressors forums, part of the Sniping Related category; I am looking to buy my first suppressor for my Howa 308. I do not have any other platforms to host a suppressor for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Suppressor help

I am looking to buy my first suppressor for my Howa 308. I do not have any other platforms to host a suppressor for the time being. I have been looking at the silencerco chimera and the Deadair Sandman L. Then I realized that a suppressor could change my groups and accuracy. Thus, I come to you to recommend some suppressors that won’t affect precision or accuracy. I understand some POI shift that will have to be accounted for but what suppressors will keep my groups as tight as possible given my budget of around $1000 maximum. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by BigRed502; 07-09-2018 at 01:04 PM.
    As long as there will be a need to combat evil, there will be a need for guns. And if there's a need for guns there's a need for making the precision long range rifle shot.

Thunderbeast ultra 7

or ultra 9 if you ever intend to shoot magnum
    TAPnRACK likes this.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Nothing but praise for my Thunder Beast 7" direct thread.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

You will want to get something that will direct thread for the best accuracy. But you are adding weight to the end of your barrel. This is going to change your barrel harmonics. So you may need to work up a new load that takes advantage of the changed barrel harmonics. But as long as you do that, you should be fine to shoot accurately out of most suppressors at that price point.
    BigRed502 likes this.

FWIW & IMO,
    Thunder Beast Ultra 9. I run them in 6.5mm & .30 Caliber.

Regards, Matt.

Hey guys, I’ve done some research since the start of this thread and I was really thinking about a dead air sandman s or l. Probably the L because I don’t shoot fast paced matches or anything like that. What are your thoughts? I would use this on a bolt 308 mostly with some usage on a 16” 223 Wylde AR. I want something durable but with good sound reduction and I certainly want to keep my accuracy. I looked at ThunderBeast but they are hard to find in stock and my local dealer doesn’t carry them.
    As long as there will be a need to combat evil, there will be a need for guns. And if there's a need for guns there's a need for making the precision long range rifle shot.

You are going to wait about a year for the paperwork to clear anyway. What is another month or so to get it in stock?

If thunderbeast has it in stock, then your dealer can get it within about a week.

What state are you in?
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

I am in Kentucky.

I saw little review on the thunder beast on youtube. However, the dead air had great reviews. Is the thunder beast as durable as the dead air in regards to holding up on an AR platform. Almost everything I saw were bolt guns. I realize they are precision made cans, but i would like something usable across all my threaded rifle platforms. I do have intentions to upgrade from 308 eventually, so I am considering a ultra 9 and sandman l. Would anyone advise against these? I really don't see a downfall in the 9" length-maybe thats due to inexperience. Let me know your thoughts on picking 7" vs 9" with precision shooting as a main purpose but having other uses as well in mind.

Here's the deal.

If you want a car that you can take to the drag strip, carry a family, haul lumber, and pull a trailer...you can probably find an option. However it will not do any of those things well.

If you want a rifle that will be suitable at 1500 yards, deep woods deer hunting, plinking, and squirrel hunting you can probably find an option, but it will not do any of those things well.

If you want a suppressor that will work for precision 308, Precision magnum, and 223 mag dumps you will probably find an option, but it will not do any of these things well.

According to your first post, you only currently have one host for this suppressor. It is a Precision 308. Now, for precision 308 there is only one truly good option for material and that is titanium. It is lightweight and will cause the least poi change. Titanium however is not good for the high temps produced by 223 mag dumps...and suppressors that can handle mag dumps are not great for precision shooting.

Now, if precision 308 is the only rifle you will ever shoot this on, then I would go with a thunderbeast ultra 7 with brake attach. It is lightweight, very precise, and short (7"). The ONLY compromise I would make to this is to go with an ultra 9 with the idea of shooting a magnum at some point. The ultra 9 will be slightly heavier and 2" longer, but still manageable as I ran a 9" can for several years on my 308. I don't believe you will be happy with the lack of precision found in cans rated for full auto. I also don't believe you will be happy with the sound management of a 308 can on a 223...although it does work.

My advice. Buy the can that best fits your needs now, and then buy another when the need arises. Can's are like guns. You can't own just one. If you buy one you will buy more in the future. If you compromise on the first can, then you will be replacing it in the future.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

One thing I failed to mention is I have picked up a 223 wylde chambered AR since the first post back in July. I use it to shoot some precision as well, though the main shooter is still the Howa 308.

I am not looking for something to mag dump. That doesn't entertain me-ammo aint cheap and its not fun. I do understand a dedicated 223/556 suppressor will sound better than a 30 cal can on a 223. My main purpose is precision shooting and that is the purpose for this suppressor. I just want to make a solid first purchase of a suppressor since there is no simple way to sell a suppressor and buy the other one.

I guess one thing I failed to articulate well, is why I am recommended the 7" when sound suppression seems better on 9". Due to inexperience, I don't see the weight and maneuverability being an issue on a dedicated sit down and shoot gun. Are you saying the extra 2" of weight could/would affect the precision of the rifle?

Sorry to be so complicated-I just want to make a thorough and informed decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads