Help with scope mounting..

This is a discussion on Help with scope mounting.. within the Technical Problems forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; Hello from Arizona! New to the board, made my introductions in the introduction section! LOL! Have a problem I've never experienced before. I have a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaxxas

Thread: Help with scope mounting..

Hello from Arizona!

New to the board, made my introductions in the introduction section! LOL!

Have a problem I've never experienced before. I have a Remington 700 XCR long range tactical .308 about 4 years old. Beautiful rifle, very accurate, right at half MOA. Big ol Burris 50 mm on it. Well recently I decided to up the ante a bit. Added a 20 MOA mount looking to extend my range and mounted up my scope. The rifle is as accurate as ever, but once zero'ed I have maybe 8 clicks of left wind-age. I'm at a total loss. This wind-age issue didn't ever really come into play on our 500 meter range, or I just never dealt with it. I've tried different scopes, different mounts and all have the same problem. In the past I've mounted up many scopes with never a problem. At this point I'm so disgusted I've actually put the rifle up for sale, contemplating buying my way out of the problem with a new rifle from Sniper Central. Any clues as to what I'm doing wrong. Can you help me save this rifle?

Thank you in advance!

JaXXas
    Last edited by jaxxas; 09-03-2013 at 11:25 PM.

what rings are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by elk sniper View Post
    what rings are you using?

I've tried Burris (XTR?) and Leupold rings with the same results. I have put some money into it trying to figure it out. At least 3 scopes (only one high end scope), 3 mounts (2 @ 20 moa), and 2 sets of rings. I fear the receiver top machining is out of spec.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I recently read a similar thread on another forum. There were a lot of different solutions but most boiled down to centering the windage adjustment in the scope, then zeroing the scope using external adjustments.

The easiest is to use Burris Signature Zee rings.
    The next is to use the windage adjustable base rings such as Leupold.
    The most expensive and/or difficult is to remount and bed the rail. Convert the mounting holes in the rail into slots. Then verify the internal adjustments on the scope are centered and equal and adjust the rail to zero.

I am sure there are are other options, but those are the ones that come to mind. Remember what you paid for my advice:mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by alfson View Post
    I recently read a similar thread on another forum. There were a lot of different solutions but most boiled down to centering the windage adjustment in the scope, then zeroing the scope using external adjustments.

The easiest is to use Burris Signature Zee rings.
    The next is to use the windage adjustable base rings such as Leupold.
    The most expensive and/or difficult is to remount and bed the rail. Convert the mounting holes in the rail into slots. Then verify the internal adjustments on the scope are centered and equal and adjust the rail to zero.

I am sure there are are other options, but those are the ones that come to mind. Remember what you paid for my advice:mrgreen:

Excellent! I'll order up a set of those Zee rings tonight! Thanks for giving me hope!
    sherman likes this.

Ads