Cant find a Gunsmith.....

Cant find a Gunsmith.....

This is a discussion on Cant find a Gunsmith..... within the Technical Problems forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; Last Oct. I bought a 30" Bartlein Stainless heavy barrel for my Weatherby Vangaurd Series 2 .300 Win Mag. I talked to the Range Master ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Cant find a Gunsmith.....

Last Oct. I bought a 30" Bartlein Stainless heavy barrel for my Weatherby Vangaurd Series 2 .300 Win Mag. I talked to the Range Master where
    I shoot about who I should have install it. He gave me the name of a Gunsmith and told me "this guy is the best, I wouldn't have anyone else do it".
    I gave the guy a call and naturally he told me he was busy and it would be a month to a month and a half be fore it would be done. I said that
    I could live with that because I was told he's the one to do the job. Well its been just over 2 months and so I called him yesterday to see what
    the status on my rifle was and was told" I'm still backed up and have no idea when it will be done" I want to go pick up my rifle and take it
    to someone else to install the barrel, but I am at a loss as to who I can trust to do the job. I am not adverse to shipping it out of town to a
    reputable Smith, if there is one out there. The one thing this Smith told me was that the Vangaurd has a metric thread and most Smiths wont
    or cant do it, I don't know how true that is, If someone out there can give me some direction as to a good Gunsmith I would be forever in
    their debt..... Frustrated...............

Travis @ TS Customs can help you out. He'll definitely give you a better timeline than what you have been given.

Travis - 605-870-1567

Top notch work.

what he said ^^ Travis does some awesome work

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Guys.......I contacted Travis and I am going to have him do the work for me...I am leaving
    right now to pickup my rifle from the other smith. Thanks again

I've found that there are basically two reasons why gunsmiths are "backed up". One is that they're really good, have a great rep and lots of people are sending them work.

The other is that they're probably good but are disorganized and easily distracted by other pursuits (family, play, etc.).

It took me 4 months for a re-barrel at "my gunsmith" but when I walked in the shop it was easy to see why. Dozens of rifles ahead of me, work being shipped out every day, and the machines constantly running. Just not enough people and lathes to keep up with the demand. As for the barrel? Well worth waiting for and the work was impeccable.

Not to hijack Gizmos thread but does anyone know a gunsmith in or near Vancouver BC. Shipping rifles to the states in a pain. I have order a brake and need to get a muzzle threaded. The guy I used to go to as retired.
    Know yourself, know your weapon, know your enemy.

To deadshot, I understand what you are saying, and I have no doubts in the capabilities of the first gunsmith. However I do think
    some gunsmiths handle customers in a more professional manner than others and also take their work more seriously than others.
    I had no problem waiting the month to a month and a half he originally stated it would take. Its when I called nearly two months
    later and he told me "I have no idea when it will be done" that is when I knew I wanted someone else to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    To deadshot, I understand what you are saying, and I have no doubts in the capabilities of the first gunsmith. However I do think
    some gunsmiths handle customers in a more professional manner than others and also take their work more seriously than others.
    I had no problem waiting the month to a month and a half he originally stated it would take. Its when I called nearly two months
    later and he told me "I have no idea when it will be done" that is when I knew I wanted someone else to do the job.
    This is why the Japanese pretty much overran the US manufacturing industry, especially the Auto business. They practiced a simple philosophy of "Under-promise, Over Deliver".

I used to get delivery dates on product mfr'd in Japan that was as much as a year away. Was one pleased customer when the container would arrive in 6-7 months.

Sadly, many if not most, "Craftsmen" don't always know how to deal with Customers. That's one of the reasons people are often kept out of the shops and have to deal with a Customer Service Rep rather than a cranky, overly blunt, mechanic/gunsmith/etc.

Another aspect that may play into this, is bringing your own parts into the mix. It shouldn't, but may be a factor, as some shops, be they auto, gun or other, prefer to supply the "parts" used in any repair or build. Reasons may vary, but the thought is usually there.

Food for future thought,
    Terry
    P.H.I.T.F.F.A. Central Division Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by exsimguy1 View Post
    Another aspect that may play into this, is bringing your own parts into the mix. It shouldn't, but may be a factor, as some shops, be they auto, gun or other, prefer to supply the "parts" used in any repair or build. Reasons may vary, but the thought is usually there.

Food for future thought,
    Terry
    I haven't found "Customer Supplied Parts" to be as big an issue with Gunsmiths as it is in the Auto Repair industry. In auto repair, part of the profit structure for the job is parts profit. Also the wide range of quality for parts which can cause more and more time robbing warranty returns.

With guns, the gunsmith will usually say right up front if he'll use a supplied part or not. The rest of the time it's pretty much a case of selling his time. If you provide a quality part, for example a high end custom action, you'll have less time invested in truing and fitting than if you bring in a donor action you picked up at an estate sale or pawn shop. You'll end up paying more if the gunsmith has to invest another hour or two so it's all on the Customer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads