Rings & Mount Questions - Page 2

Rings & Mount Questions

This is a discussion on Rings & Mount Questions within the Technical Problems forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; Originally Posted by hollonm True story...but Stainless Steel doesn't rust, it oxidizes...unless it's that top of the line Stainless Steel made over in China That ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Rings & Mount Questions

Quote Originally Posted by hollonm View Post
    True story...but Stainless Steel doesn't rust, it oxidizes...unless it's that top of the line Stainless Steel made over in China
    That may cover my pots and pans but the 416R SS used in my rifles sure doesn't rust or oxidize.

Quote Originally Posted by deadshot2 View Post
    That may cover my pots and pans but the 416R SS used in my rifles sure doesn't rust or oxidize.
    Correct...hence why I said here that Stainless Steel doesn't rust unless it's that garbage from China...

True story...but Stainless Steel doesn't rust, it oxidizes...unless it's that top of the line Stainless Steel made over in China
    Your rifle doesn't oxidize because you clean it on a regular basis I would think, and keep it coated with a thin film of oil. Wipe all the oil off with Acetone and leave the rifle sitting around the house some where for several months or a year plus, it will oxidize. Oxidization will clean off with ease, but it can still oxidize.

On the other hand, we are currently bombing the OP's thread...point is, you really don't need to use Loctite. It does serve it's puprose when used SPARINGLY, but you can avoid alot of issues later on down the road by simply choosing not to use it
    Last edited by Arkansas89; 04-08-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    "Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."
    - Proverbs 17:28, KJV

Correct...hence why I said here that Stainless Steel doesn't rust unless it's that garbage from China...

Your rifle doesn't oxidize because you clean it on a regular basis I would think, and keep it coated with a thin film of oil. Wipe all the oil off with Acetone and leave the rifle sitting around the house some where for several months or a year plus, it will oxidize. Oxidization will clean off with ease, but it can still oxidize.

On the other hand, we are currently bombing the OP's thread...point is, you really don't need to use Loctite. It does serve it's puprose when used SPARINGLY, but you can avoid alot of issues later on down the road by simply choosing not to use it
    Yes, the OP's thread is totally bombed.

FWIW, my rifle doesn't rust because of the passive layer of Chromium Oxide that forms on the surface. It's a layer about 1/10th the thickness of a human hair and it stops the corrosion. Any oil applied to stainless steel rifle barrels just attracts dust

As for the loctite issue, those that want and have used it will continue. Those that don't and haven't wont. Those that aren't sure should at least read the instructions provided by the supplier of the rings and mounts, at least the instructions on the package of loctite

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

All I can think about is a comment I read earlier regarding some sawdust and some kind of strap...
    "Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."
    - Proverbs 17:28, KJV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads