Trouble with rem 700 base screws - Page 2

Trouble with rem 700 base screws

This is a discussion on Trouble with rem 700 base screws within the Technical Problems forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; Originally Posted by paperhunter Hi I am machist , but I am not sure 8-40 not on my machinery hand book , do you know ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by paperhunter View Post
    Hi I am machist , but I am not sure 8-40 not on my machinery hand book , do you know how to use dial caliber , check id of you gun thread hole & let me know may be I can help
    Do you have manual of your gun or go to Google find out what should be on that thread I don't own 700 so I don't known what size of the screw , it should be standard 8-40 it not real or odd size
    Good go to auto part store like autozone tell them you need 8-32 or 8 -36 then try to your gun it not 8-40 it not standard , I m o , no one make odd size , good luck
    Btw may be you had 4-40 but still I never heard 8-40 , I am not gun smith either may they use different, in my 30 yrs machinist sorry I never see that size

For some reason the "World of Guns" uses non-standard thread pitch's for fasteners. My old Springfield uses 1/4X30 for action screws.

You won't find most screws for rifles or handguns in hardware stores (or machinist manuals for that matter) as they are specialty items.

Brownell's is the best source for these non-standard items.

Remingtons, as a rule, come from the factory with 6-48 threaded holes in the receiver (Maybe 8-40 on the "magnums") and as was earlier stated, lots of custom shops and owners will drill/tap for the larger 8-40.

For those that are interested, Brownell's offers a nice kit that includes drill/tap/bushing/counterbore for those that want to upgrade their existing scope mount/rail to the larger fasteners. The "8's are definitely more durable than the #6. Not a bad idea if you "get rough" with your rifle or have a heavier scope on top.

I understand the idea of the 8-40's as opposed to the 6-48's, but with a base that has a recoil lug I don't really see it as necessary.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Thank you dead two shot now it clear my mind , gun world they are using different ,
    B t w , when I bought my savage 10 I did change to standard , tbat why he repeat # 8 -40 , so clear now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ads