bipod mounting problem

bipod mounting problem

This is a discussion on bipod mounting problem within the Technical Problems forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; i have a old school remington 700 that has no sling stud or and stud for that matter up from i want to mount a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: bipod mounting problem

bipod mounting problem

i have a old school remington 700 that has no sling stud or and stud for that matter up from i want to mount a bipod but have no clue what to do. i dont want to change the stock. so what are my options here? im thinking of gluing a rail to the bottom so i can mount a bipod but idk any help will be greatly appreciated.

Wood or synthetic stock? Sling studs can be added to either. Don't glue a pic rail to the stock. Use screws.
    Using Tapatalk

Rails or sling swivels are easy enough to add.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

its a wood stock but i dont have the money to take it to gun shop is it something i can do at home with simple drill and tools i am mechanically inclined just not sure of what to do

Quote Originally Posted by david1385 View Post
    its a wood stock but i dont have the money to take it to gun shop is it something i can do at home with simple drill and tools i am mechanically inclined just not sure of what to do
    It is not difficult. Just add a simple stud and use a harris. No noticeable change to the stock...much less damage than gluing a rail. Just be sure to use the right drill bits and also make sure that the screw on the stud is short enough that it doesn't touch the barrel.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Would i have to remove the stock to do this?

There are two types of studs, screw in and bolt in. Regardless of type, you are probably going to want to remove the stock to work on it.

Screw-ins will work with wood but I'm not sure they would stand up to a lot of stress so may be a bad idea.

Bolt in's have a backer plate and you would have to remove the stock.

There is a type that has a metal insert that fitted and glued into the stock and the stud is screwed into that.
    Last edited by gsmithplm; 07-16-2014 at 07:09 AM.
    Graham Smith, SFC, US Army (Ret)
    "There's no right way to do the wrong thing."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett"

you will want the mount with the backer plate. The last thing you want is to drop your rifle because the sling swivel pulled out. Removing the stock is very simple and straight forward. If it is an ADL model you will have three screws on the underside. A BDL model has two screws...either way the barreled action will drop right out of the stock when you remove those screws. just don't over torque them when you are reinstalling. Also, you might need to hog out space for the backer plate to keep it out of the barrel.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Don't mount a bipod to a screw in type stud that has wood-screw like threads. It will work loose eventually and pull all the wood threads out of the stock

You want to use a sling swivel stud that has machine screw threads on it.

The one on the right in this pic is what you want to use.

Remove the stock, drill a pilot hole (1/16"-1/8") through it where you want the stud and then on the barrel channel side add a "Tee Nut". You can get these at most hardware stores.

It can be done with a cordless drill, a couple of drill bits, some epoxy and enough masking tape to protect surrounding stock surfaces.

A simple method is to drill a very small diameter hole through the stock at the desired stud location. Drill the recess in the barrel channel using a spade bit. Then drill the small hole out so the tee nut will fit flush at the middle. If there is any wood remaining at the bottom where the small diameter locating hole was drilled, just drill it out so the swivel threads will pass through and into the metal threads. Once the Tee Nut is fitted, just epoxy it in place using 5-Minute Epoxy.
    Last edited by deadshot2; 07-16-2014 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadshot2 View Post
    Don't mount a bipod to a screw in type stud that has wood-screw like threads. It will work loose eventually and pull all the wood threads out of the stock
    I have several rifles with that setup... no issues. Granted I don't beat them up much either, but it is certainly good enough for most people's use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads