Ottis ripcord stuck in barrel!!!

This is a discussion on Ottis ripcord stuck in barrel!!! within the Technical Problems forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; i just bought a ottis ripcord for my new riffle and on the 1st pass through my Remington 783 chambered in 308 Winchester its stuck ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ottis ripcord stuck in barrel!!!

i just bought a ottis ripcord for my new riffle and on the 1st pass through my Remington 783 chambered in 308 Winchester its stuck and will not come out. ran it through skinny side 1st from breach to muzzle and it will not come out. re checked package on ottis ripcord and it is for a 308. so my new riffle is out of service. does anyone have any suggestions on getting it out? did some research and ottis had some ripcords that were for the 308 that were to large and they said that they were packaged wrong and that the issue has been resolved. maybe i got one of the older ones, just purchased it at academy sports today.

please if anyone has any input i would gladly appreciate it.

Pretty common issue from what I've seen.

Solution is to wrap the part of the ripcord that is sticking out of the barrel around a mop handle or something... then use the leverage to rip it out. Another said to thread a cleaning rod into the back end of it and try to pull it out backward.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkan View Post
    Pretty common issue from what I've seen.

Solution is to wrap the part of the ripcord that is sticking out of the barrel around a mop handle or something... then use the leverage to rip it out. Another said to thread a cleaning rod into the back end of it and try to pull it out backward.

Good luck.
    thanks tried to do that with a vise holding it and wrap it around a handle that didnt work. can you describe taking it out backwards from the breach its in the barrel and i can not grab ahold of it when you say to thread a cleaning rod can you describe how to do that? and wtf is otis selling that for if its a known issue thats bs.
    thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Otis is/was aware of this and reduced diameter on some of the ripcords due to issues similar to yours.

"In response to this problem, Otis informed me that there had been a manufacturing dimension issue with some early .308 Ripcords that had since been corrected. Their supposition was that one of these oversize cords had accidentally been sent to me for review. They sent me a replacement (improved) .308 Ripcord, which I tried in the same rifle."

http://www.chuckhawks.com/otis_ripcord.htm

Orkan gave you best advice to get it out; maybe try again lubing it from muzzle.

thank y'all for your help i threaded the cleaning rod and went through the breach it came right out!!! this site is great thanks again!!!

Happy to help.

How far through the bore had it made it before getting stuck? Was it at the throat, halfway down the bore, ??

Quote Originally Posted by trekker111 View Post
    How far through the bore had it made it before getting stuck? Was it at the throat, halfway down the bore, ??
    it was about 1/4 of the way through i could barley see the end with a flash light but it came out with a couple of pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by trekker111 View Post
    it was about 1/4 of the way through i could barley see the end with a flash light but it came out with a couple of pulls.

Thank God you got that sucker out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads