Rem 700 long range 300 win mag - Page 3

Rem 700 long range 300 win mag

This is a discussion on Rem 700 long range 300 win mag within the Technical Problems forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; It seems that you aren't the only one with issues. It also seems that Remington is cutting a few corners with the build quality as ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Rem 700 long range 300 win mag

It seems that you aren't the only one with issues. It also seems that Remington is cutting a few corners with the build quality as noted in the video "Mail Call Mondays Season 6 #14 - What’s up with the Remington 700 Long Range" by 8541 Tactical on YouTube.

Plastic spacers in the stock under the action are a bit disconcerting.

Just an update on my remington 700 LR 300 win mag. Took the gun to a gunsmith to have the chamber polished because the cases sticking in the chamber were really starting to bother me. The chamber itself is jacked up, turns out shooting factory winchester 180 gr, case necks were growing .010" on the first firing, and mild pressure signs like cratered primer and bright extraction marks on the case heads. Also, when you wiped the soot/powder residue off of the necks, you can see what looks like little cutting torch marks on the necks.

If that wasn't enough, the pre extraction timing on the bolt is off, and the bolt handle looks like it is soldered on just a little bit crooked.

Had action trued, New Bartlein stainless 5 R barrel in M24 contour installed and pre extraction timing is being addressed.

Waiting for it to be done so I can get back to shooting it.

Meanwhile, I've been spending time shooting my hunting 300 WM

My Sako 300WM would not shoot 150's. I TRIED several brands of 150's and no go. It did like 180 Core Locs though. One inch groups or better. I hazard a guess what it would do with 190 SMK.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat455 View Post
    Had action trued, New Bartlein stainless 5 R barrel in M24 contour installed and pre extraction timing is being addressed.
    Oh, my. The rifle just have become a custom.

Should have bought a Sendero

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

gpark09... yes it has...
    A little bit sooner than expected... I thought I'd get to play with it and eventually reload for it, maybe wear the barrel out... lol, but when that didn't work out, I was left with the option of custom or to sell the problem to someone else... I'm not a saint, but I wasn't about to just dump it on someone else... besides, I wanted a 300 WM I could play with independent of my hunting rig. Even though things didn't turn out how I wanted initially, ill still get there.

Para72... if your post was for me, I have a Sendero in 300 WM. It's replacing my old hunting rig.

Wildcat, how do you like your Sendero compared to your long range?

Para72, overall satisfaction with the purchase would have to go with the Sendero.
    The only real "ouch" was twice the price. But with that, I got a rifle that functions pretty flawlessly right out of the gate. Bolt is way smoother to operate, mechanics of the rifle seem to be dialed in, no indications of chamber problems, pre extraction timing, etc. I like the palm swell on the HS precision stock, not too crazy about the lower cheek rest or the recoil pad on it. I think the B&C M40 stock on the LR just fit me better. I haven't shot the Sendero near as much as I had the LR, but that's because I haven't had anything to work out on it. Took it out and within half a box of factory ammo had it sighted in. I have already moved to reloading for it, and that is showing some promise. I should have it all dialed in by the time the LR custom build gets back from the gunsmith, and in time for hunting season without a problem.

I have a Sendero ll sf in 300wm and put it in a MPA chassis, put a brake on it and good glass. It shoots awsome.

The complete list of modifications to my 300 LR are:

Trued 700 action and bolt.
    Pinned oversized recoil lug.
    Bartlein 10 twist 308 caliber 5R stainless barrel at 27" in M24 contour, chambered for 300 win mag match.
    Threaded muzzle.
    Badger thruster brake.
    B&C M24 stock inletted for free floating M24 barrel contour.
    Timney trigger set at 1.5#

Bolt is having pre extraction timing work done with a PT&G stainless bolt handle. Not sure if I'm going to do a bolt knob or not. Maybe a target style..

Buckeye optics 20MOA stainless rail being fitted to receiver. Ill also likely use their stainless rings for the scope.

Custom barrel contour muzzle thread protector for when shooting without brake.

Planned on running the Vortex Optics PST Gen II 5-25X50 FFP with ebr-2c moa reticle, but I may end up going with the Vortex Optics Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27X56 with ebr-2c moa reticle.

I can always pass down the PST Gen II to the Sendero.

The deciding factor will be if it shoots like a house on fire, ill go with the better optic, also I'm wondering if Robar has a stainless plating option that could match the Razor HD's odd color...

As far as the Sendero goes, it's my hunting rig so I don't plan much for it, maybe it'll get an optics upgrade out of me playing with the LR Custom.
    Right now it has a Vortex Optics Viper 6.5-20X50 in Talley rings.

I may either end up selling my old hunting rig that the Sendero replaced, or transforming it into a 264 win mag...

Time will tell.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ads