Rem 700 long range 300 win mag

This is a discussion on Rem 700 long range 300 win mag within the Technical Problems forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; I bought a new Remington 700 long range in 300 win mag. I went zero it with federal gold medal match 190 gr. And it ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Rem 700 long range 300 win mag

I bought a new Remington 700 long range in 300 win mag. I went zero it with federal gold medal match 190 gr. And it won't group, I'm talking 3 or 4 inch groups but the cheap Remington core lock 150 gr. That I used to get on paper shoots 1 inch groups. I check all the torque specs on stock rings and base. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Olmott View Post
    How many rounds have you put through the barrel so far?

What is your personal best 5 shot 100 yard group with any rifle?
    I have 36 rounds through it. I have a 308 set up very similar that I've been shooting for a couple years that I consistently shoot sub moa with. I know some rifles do not like a certain load but it won't even group really with federal gold medal match but shoots 1 inch groups with the Remington core lock 150gr. That I bought just to get it on paper makes me scratch my head.

Check to see if the barrel is floated. Then I would let someone else shoot it. Someone who has experience with the magnums and see how they do. That rifle should shoot under 1/2" when you get it figured out.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    Check to see if the barrel is floated. Then I would let someone else shoot it. Someone who has experience with the magnums and see how they do. That rifle should shoot under 1/2" when you get it figured out.
    I did when I first bought it. It has a bell and Carlson m40 stock on it so it should be ill recheck it. I was expecting similar accuracy as my 308 so I'm quite disappointed.

If it is 3" groups with Federal Gold Medal Match something is wrong. It is either shooter or rifle related. Given that the groups with the 308 are only sub Moa and not closer to 1/2 Moa I am willing to bet that the recoil is the issue.

On the other hand, it could be rifle related. Everything from a barrel not floated to improper torque on stock screws to loose scope rings to malfunctioning scope.

I know you said the core lokt shot better. How many rounds of each did you shoot? Was it one lucky group or a pattern of several 1" groups in a row. I would expect the core lokt to group about 1" at best, but the gmm should have no problem shooting 1/2" or better.

Did you shoot the core lokt first and then the gmm? What scope are you running? Did you go back to the core lokt after shooting the gmm? Is it possible that the recoil trashed the scope after shooting a few core lokt and then the gmm wouldn't group?
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

When you say 3-4inch group it like a shot gun pattern or are you get 2 or 3 shot that group and the other fliers. What is your set up, scope, rings, bases, ?

Cliffy

Quote Originally Posted by Olmott View Post
    It might take a few more rounds before it settles in. The most recent .308 I bought was a little wild for the first 80 rounds, then it became more consistent and accurate. If you are using all factory ammo, you may need to try a few options and compare the grouping. Are you enjoying the recoil of the 300WM?
    Haha yeah the recoil is fun I might put a break on it but I want to get it shooting first. Can more rounds through it improve accuracy that much? My 308 that I've been shooting for the past couple years shot good right from the get go. I reload for my 308 but I still shoot match three it just depends what I have more off I plan on doing the same with my 300 WM just wanted to shoot some match ammo through it because it's new and was excited to shoot it.

Leupold mk 4 with m1 turrets stock 65 inch lbs ring caps 20 inch lbs rings to base nut 65 inch lbs.

[QUOTE=ddd oo7;453800]If it is 3" groups with Federal Gold Medal Match something is wrong. It is either shooter or rifle related. Given that the groups with the 308 are only sub Moa and not closer to 1/2 Moa I am willing to bet that the recoil is the issue.

On the other hand, it could be rifle related. Everything from a barrel not floated to improper torque on stock screws to loose scope rings to malfunctioning scope.

I know you said the core lokt shot better. How many rounds of each did you shoot? Was it one lucky group or a pattern of several 1" groups in a row. I would expect the core lokt to group about 1" at best, but the gmm should have no problem shooting 1/2" or better.

Did you shoot the core lokt first and then the gmm? What scope are you running? Did you go back to the core lokt after shooting the gmm? Is it possible that the recoil trashed the scope after shooting a few core lokt and then the gmm wouldn't group?
    [/Leupold mk 4 with m1 turrets stock 65 inch lbs ring caps 20 inch lbs rings to base nut 65 inch lbs.

I'd go over your gun with a fine tooth comb. I have 2 R700 LRs in 300WM. I had to take both back to the gun shop to have the chambers polished since neither one would eject spent brass. The gun shop told me that they've done a fair bit of warranty work on the Long Range R700s. From what you've described, I wouldn't be surprised if you've got issues with your gun and not your ammo.

Now that the chambers have been polished, both are sub MOA guns.
    Last edited by scrmblr1982cj8; 03-09-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ads