Adjustable Gas Block Over Gassing

This is a discussion on Adjustable Gas Block Over Gassing within the Technical Problems forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; Just had a JP adj. gas block installed, and I cannot adjust the gas, always long stroking no matter what the setting. I have a ...

Just had a JP adj. gas block installed, and I cannot adjust the gas, always long stroking no matter what the setting. I have a feeling it might be because my rifle is a 204, and ther's too much pressure. Maybe the hole Shilen put in the barrel is too large?

Thanks for any assistance.

Administrator
    Indeed. If the gas block is closed as far as it can be, and you are still bouncing the buffer off the bottom of the tube, then you either need to Chang your powder, or figure out what diameter that port was honed to. Maybe both.

Is your BCG full weight?
    NRA A2 Service Rifle High Master XTC
    NRA A2 Service Rifle Expert LR
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman
    NRA Silhouette AA

So I figured out the problem, apparently the block that I got from Brownells was an older version. I took it apart (had a gunsmith mount it originally) to see exactly how it worked, and max gas is actually all the way in, and minimum gas is all the way out. There is not set screw to hold the gas screw in place, so I'll have to use Loctite. I read somewhere that the old versions of the JP's were that way, so this one must one of those old designs. Took it to the range and it works. Set screw is sticking way out though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

glad it's working...get a shorter set screw- Hardware store, auto parts store.
    Nothing new to see here...

Quote Originally Posted by seanh View Post
    glad it's working...get a shorter set screw- Hardware store, auto parts store.
    Good point, no pun

Quote Originally Posted by wwjdwithca View Post
    So I figured out the problem, apparently the block that I got from Brownells was an older version. I took it apart (had a gunsmith mount it originally) to see exactly how it worked, and max gas is actually all the way in, and minimum gas is all the way out. There is not set screw to hold the gas screw in place, so I'll have to use Loctite. I read somewhere that the old versions of the JP's were that way, so this one must one of those old designs. Took it to the range and it works. Set screw is sticking way out though.
    So the saga continues..... I called JP and they immediately recognized the problem that the gunsmith did not install the gas block correct. The Smith was supposed to run a tap down the gas screw adjustment hole and tap right through one side wall of the gas tube so the screw would penetrate the tube and pinch the flow off. He thought the locking set screw was missing because he likely installed the tube first and the pin was blocking the screw from getting into position and simply just tossed it aside. He said the way I got it to work would be less reliable, and not preferred, plus you'll get carbon staining on the outside of your barrel that you'll have to clean off every time.

So I took the rifle back even though I could fix it myself, just need to buy a #6-32 plug tap, but why? I paid $120 to have it installed correct in the first place.

Banned
    Sounds to me next time you need to find a better gunsmith, one who will read instructions,,, might work out better ! OH and JP is an excellent company they might just trade you out for the new style if you ask them !
    Last edited by 2hellandback; 06-05-2016 at 07:27 AM.

Ads