Buying a barrel "used"

Buying a barrel "used"

This is a discussion on Buying a barrel "used" within the Technical Problems forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; Kind of a dumb question probably but people that are selling "used" barrels on here or gunbroker. They all seem to say "lightly used" or ...

Buying a barrel "used"

Kind of a dumb question probably but people that are selling "used" barrels on here or gunbroker. They all seem to say "lightly used" or "only a few shots" through it. Are those bad choices? Don't want to buy a barrel that's got thousands of rounds through it and about ready to take a crap after I piece together a gun. Also goes the same for people that are selling used stocks and actions....does any of those matter home much use they have? I just don't want to toss a inch of money out only to find out that I screeed up big time

Buying a used barrel is about like buying used tires. You really are not sure what you are buying...but you do know that it is not new. Barrels are wear items that will need to be replaced and as such I can't imagine buying used...unless you really don't plan to shoot much. You will be spending money to have a smith fit the barrel to the action anyway...you might as well spend the extra $325 and get a quality custom blank as well.

As far as actions and stocks go they essentially will not wear out and I would have no problem building on a used action or stock. The only thing that makes it more difficult is if the stock has preciously been bedded you will have to pay a smith to hawg the bedding out and Rebed the stock to your specific action.

I know you are batting around the ideal of building vs buying a complete rifle...I want to encourage you to have a quality rifle built by a good smith. You will be miles ahead in learning to shoot. It is difficult to learn to shoot if you don't know if the missed shot was you or the rifle.

Call Travis at TS customs and talk to him about what you want. He does quality work. My second rifle he worked on just arrived at my ffl yesterday.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Administrator
    Unless you have a $800 bore scope and a block of Cerrosafe, with the knowledge to use both, AND you have a 3-day inspection/return policy on the table...

Just Say No to Drugs.

-Nate
    NRA A2 Service Rifle High Master XTC
    NRA A2 Service Rifle Expert LR
    President's Hundred
    US Distinguished Rifleman
    NRA Silhouette AA

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

I have bought a couple of used barrel in the past..Only one was in good condition....So if you can swing it
    go new..

Quote Originally Posted by ddd oo7 View Post
    It is difficult to learn to shoot if you don't know if the missed shot was you or the rifle.
    I couldn't agree more with this and I'll add reloader's error. I can't even begin to explain the frustration and consistent failure I endured because I tried to learn everything at once on a budget build. I wouldn't wish my experience on anyone. Once I finally did figure it all out my budget rifle (almost 2k with optic) had grown to the 3200 setup it is today and it still isn't perfect.

FWIW OP, I'm of the strong belief that unless you have at least 5k to spend you have no business getting into this hobby. By no means does that all go to the rifle, but if you overlook some of the other components you're in over your head without a competent rifle, ammo, scope, reloading equipment or range equipment...etc. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by davisj3537; 01-04-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post
    Unless you have a $800 bore scope and a block of Cerrosafe, with the knowledge to use both, AND you have a 3-day inspection/return policy on the table...

Just Say No to Drugs.

-Nate

How about a $229 (Sale Price) Lyman BoreCam? You can even transfer the pictures to a larger screen on your PC to get a really good look at all the "warts" you find in a used barrel.

One positive on used factory barrels today is that so many people remove them early on, replacing with custom/upgrades, they often aren't as shot out as you might think. On a Remington barrel just have the gunsmith set it back and rechamber for a shorter freebore and throat. PROVIDED you can get the barrel cheap.

Yet with this option one will still spend $300+ for smith work on a FACTORY BARREL. I really see no scenario where this is a good option. If one is satisfied with a factory barrel then it is much cheaper to just by a factory barreled action with appropriate barrel already attached. I realize that setting it back will get the chamber to the proper dimensions...but I don't believe this to be worth the cost of the smith unless it is a custom barrel. I wouldn't pay a smith to install a used barrel even if said barrel was free. I believe the only way one should try this is if they are a smith and don't consider their labor as worth much of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by deadshot2 View Post
    One positive on used factory barrels today is that so many people remove them early on, replacing with custom/upgrades, they often aren't as shot out as you might think. On a Remington barrel just have the gunsmith set it back and rechamber for a shorter freebore and throat. PROVIDED you can get the barrel cheap.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

Ads