.308 jamming

.308 jamming

This is a discussion on .308 jamming within the Technical Problems forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; Good morning, I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if this has been covered a million times before. I have an ex mil ...

Thread: .308 jamming

.308 jamming

Good morning, I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if this has been covered a million times before. I have an ex mil Mauser originally chambered in 30-06 and re-barrelled in. 308. In either caliber and using factory loads or reloads, the action will jam closed until the action cools a little. Can anyone offer any suggestions on why and how to fix it please? Thanks.

I don't know for sure but it sounds like there is some interferance between the bolt and (likely) barrel.

Thanks mate, it's a start. Do you have any idea what causes this?

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

Probably over pressure in the chamber. Could be number of things but may be the chamber rimmed too short??? I guess.

What did your smith say about it when he re-barrelled it?

do you have a set of headspace gauges to drop in just to check?
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

The gun plumber didn't suggest any problems with it....I don't have headspace guages but maybe I should get it checked. I live 8 hours from the nearest gun shop so I'm trying to figure these things out for myself.....with your help. Thank you,I appreciate it.

Most likely cause is too close a fit between bolt nose and barrel/chamber. If it was a true case of too little headspace issue you wouldn't be able to close the bolt on fresh rounds, especially factory.

As you shoot both the barrel and the bolt heat up and expand toward each other. Lack of clearance on the bolt nose can cause it to lock up.

Make sure there is no crud buildup on the end of the barrel or bolt nose. Then take a marking pen and blacken the end of the bolt, let the ink dry, then close and open the bolt a few times. Remove the bolt and look to see if the ink has been scuffed off where it could contact the barrel. Not exactly sure what the clearance spec is for mauser styled actions but I run ~ .005" on my Remingtons. If the bolt closes easily with no contact when closed, put a piece of "Scotch Tape" on the end of the bolt, trim around the edges with a razor blade, then see if the bolt closes. If it drags, IMHO you don't have enough clearance.

Ok, thank you. I'll do that and see what the result is.

Had the same issue with a 700. In that case it was a front action screw that was a too long.
    Actions speak louder than words but not nearly so often.

deadshot2, I had a look at the bolt face after your advice....before doing anything else with it. I took a couple of photos and if you close one eye and poke your tongue out the corner of your mouth the right way you can see definite scuff marks. What do you think? Can I fix this myself or is it a more specialized job above my pay grade?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ads