Long Range 300 Win Mag

Long Range 300 Win Mag

This is a discussion on Long Range 300 Win Mag within the Technical Problems forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; Getting into long range shooting. 300 Win Mag, 24"bbl, 208 gr Hornady ELD Match, 5-20 Trijicon optics. Yes, I roll my own with 7828 and ...

Long Range 300 Win Mag

Getting into long range shooting. 300 Win Mag, 24"bbl, 208 gr Hornady ELD Match, 5-20 Trijicon optics. Yes, I roll my own with 7828 and 4831. So far, milk jugs @ 1000yds is zero challenge and groups on paper are so good I wont talk about it. Problem is the Trijicon is 2nd focal plane, at least I think that's a problem. A little research leads me to believe that a First Focal Plane is better for long distance. Any ideas, opinions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

If you are target shooting at KNOWN distances a second focal plane is probably the way to go. If on the other hand you are needing to range UNKNOWN distance targets and make corrections then a first focal plane scope is a much better way to go as your reticle always stays in the same plane as your object. Sometimes the 1st focal plane reticles are too fat at max magnification, that or you can't see them at the low end. Bottom line, pick one, learn how to properly use it and you will excel with it.

Quote Originally Posted by LVMYWINMAG View Post
    Getting into long range shooting. 300 Win Mag, 24"bbl, 208 gr Hornady ELD Match, 5-20 Trijicon optics. Yes, I roll my own with 7828 and 4831. So far, milk jugs @ 1000yds is zero challenge and groups on paper are so good I wont talk about it. Problem is the Trijicon is 2nd focal plane, at least I think that's a problem. A little research leads me to believe that a First Focal Plane is better for long distance. Any ideas, opinions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    At 1000 wind is the wildcard. Once you have your elevation dialed in and you've tested your range card and you're hitting what you aim for, wind is a whiley rascal that swirls and has me missing smaller targets like a 10" looly pop or my personal nemesis the 4" diamond.

I personally am not a fan of second focal plane scopes. I have trees or at least mil dots on all the scopes that I regularly use and if you want to use a ranging or holdover reticle that is a SFP you have to make sure you have to zoom set on the preset factory zoom power that makes the reticle correct. A FFP when you zoom in or out the reticle gets bigger or smaller, with a SFP it stays the same size so it stands to reason that the holdover value in mils or moa would change on a SFP as you zoom in and out. You can make it work but I personally just write off SFP's. I've got enough to digest to come up with a firing solution to have to worry about the scope being on the right magnification power so that the reticle values are correct. If you're in a hot area you may have to deal with mirage and sometimes it gets a little clearer if I crank down the magnification on the scope. Well you can imagine how that will work with a SFP if you're using a tree or mildot. that's my .02
    Last edited by Martino1; 08-23-2019 at 04:38 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

As far as optics suggestions, you can find new Vortex Gen 2 Razors with the EBR-2C reticle in MOA or Mil for around 1900.00, they use to run 2500.00, they have approx 33 mils/113moa in the 4.5-27x56 model.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gunguy308; 08-23-2019 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunguy308 View Post
    As far as optics suggestions, you cam find new Vortex Gen 2 Razors with the EBR-2C reticle in MOA or Mil for around 1900.00, they use to run 2500.00, they have approx 33 mils/113moa in the 4.5-27x56 model.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    That’s what I have on my MPA 6.5CM. My 6.5 takes 8.4mils to ding at 1000. I’ve got plenty elevation left to go further, but then I run out of shooting range. Longest targets at 1000.
    Last edited by Martino1; 08-23-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Ads