Bad first shot

Bad first shot

This is a discussion on Bad first shot within the Technical Problems forums, part of the SniperForums.com & SniperCentral.com Related category; Dear friends, I've had a remington700 in 7mm rem mag caliber with nightforce scope, picatinny base and rings. It has also Calvin elite timney trigger. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ddd oo7

Thread: Bad first shot

Bad first shot

Dear friends, I've had a remington700 in 7mm rem mag caliber with nightforce scope, picatinny base and rings. It has also Calvin elite timney trigger. I did glass bedding and pilar bedding and the barrel is totally Floated. I have a new problem and I think I didn't have it before. After my first shot, my pattern was delivered often to the right 64CE7289-0046-4840-ABEE-DE0130B5E8FD_1588585295275.jpegand sometimes to the leftCCAA1F2F-D471-4316-8465-58B83C61A4EA_1588585271464.jpeg. please help me with your solutions. As you can see in the following pictures the target is 1 inch in 220 yards.

If you are shooting from a clean barrel take a few fouling shots and then shoot for groups.
    If the barrel hasn't been cleaned it looks like there was an issue with the bedding and the first shot appears as if the gun needs to be shocked by the first round before it will group. Check the bedding at the lug and the tail of the receiver, check the torque of the action screws and see if that helps.

I recently discovered why my 300 win mag was doing this. The Muzzle Brake was ever so slightly loose. Does your rifle have a muzzle brake?

4. Remove Advertisements
    SniperForums.com
    Advertisements

If you didn't have the problem before, then it can only be because you have changed something. That something is your bedding. So your bedding needs to be fixed. Suggest you re-do it. With a due respect, most people without considerable experience in bedding rifles only get 1 in 10 perfect.

Bedding used to be the rage years ago. I have yet to see a LD shooter at my 1000yd range that has anything but a free floating barrel. That said I have a target rifle in 6.5CM and about 3 of my cold bore shots are always 1.5" right. Things settle down after that. I've confirmed that the barrel is free floating, checked the Action Screws torqued to spec, checked the Scope Base Screws torqued to spec, scope rings torqued to spec, and even swapped out scopes and still the problem persists.

Bottom line is something is settling as things heat up.

OP stated that the barrel is floated.

A proper bed job is desired and will only increase the precision of the rifle. I have all of my precision rifles bedded, but I have them done by TS customs who is an exceptional gunsmith. I wouldn’t try it myself as the chances of not doing it right are pretty high.
    Martino1 likes this.
    Desert Tech SRS A1 with TS Customs 308 win, 22 CM, and 7 LRM barrels
    Primal Rights 40x .22LR Repeater
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hidden Content

DDD sorry missed that..

This is somewhat off topic but what are the advantages vs disadvantages if bedding vs freefloat? Just the basic difference. I've only gotten into long range rifle shooting in the last couple of years. I've been focused mostly on loading as close to perfectly matched rounds as possible. My primary rifle is the new Savage 110 Elite Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I've seen groupings like this when someone isn't managing their barrel temperature between shots or doing ladder tests so the barrel harmonics are coming into play but I assume you are using a load that you know shoots well. I once got a bad batch of bullets from a seller that had them lose in an ammo can. I later found out that some bullet manufacturers sell seconds in bulk without a box or any branding. These were red tipped 140 grain match bullets and the box they were in at the reloading supply shop said "ELD Match" on the sign. These bullets had air bubbles in the lead core. I cut one apart and it became obvious why they flew erratically. Just a thought.

Ads