Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who says you need a scope and a massive caliber to shoot 1,000 yards? NOT ME!!!

Barrel: Lapped DCM 1-8" twist button pulled barrel with an 11 degree competition crown $295
Barrel Work: CRYO-ACCURIZING $65
Barrel Extension: DCM National Match +/- .0001" *came with barrel*
Bolt: DCM +/- .0001" *came with barrel*
Bolt Carrier: DPMS Chrome Bolt Carrier $135
Upper Reciever: Bushmaster DCM National Match A2 $205
Front Sight Base: DCM *came with barrel*
Front Sight: KNS .034" Square A2 Front Sight Post $8
Rear Sight: Bushmaster .036" Competition Rear Sight 1/4" adjustments $115
Trigger: Jewell A-15 $175
Guards: DCM National Match Free Float Tube & Handguards $155
Buttstock: Bushmaster Complete A2 set up $75
Weights : DCM Free Float A2 Weight and Buttstock Weight $50
Protection: Sinclair International Sight and Muzzle Cover's $15
Lower Reciever: FAB-10 California legal (internal 10 shot magazine) $350
Action Work: Lapped and Trued $95
With tax and everything it was about $2,000

10 shot group fired at 100 yards distance from the prone position at an indoor range with Black Hills 68gr Match HP ammo with the use of competition shooting gloves and competition sling. Right around a half an inch. *3 zero in shots are covered*

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have yet to shoot this particular rifle at 1,000 yards... i will get back to you with the results as soon as possible. Looking at the 100 yard data on this rifle... and looking at 100 yard data on similar rifles i own and there data... im guestimating i will acheave around 10 inch groups @ 1,000. Now all i need to do is call up my friend and have him load me some 100gr .223 ammo :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It should... the other AR-15 i use 100gr ammo in is a 1-7 and im getting just over 10 inch groups at 1,000 yards on a no wind day. A friend of mine uses a 1-7 but with 8 groove rifling instead of 5 like i use... and he uses the same ammo (infact he is the one who makes the 100gr ammo for me) and he is getting just below 10 inch groups on a no wind day at 1,000 yards.

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep in mind the 100gr .223 load has such a high BC that the super to sub sonic transition wont affect it that much... if at all. PRL 87gr HPBT Match bullets seem to work great as well... but they only come in moly... and i dont use moly coated bullets. 77gr SMK's work fine but i wouldnt use them out past 800 yards. 77gr Noslers work fine for semi auto's as well... but it has a canellure and im not a huge fan of canellured match bullets. Another thing... when using 100gr ammo in a .223 AR-15 you have to sink your front post sight all the way and have your rear sight all the way up just to be in the basic area of the target. Zeroing an iron sight rifle at 1,000 yards is really a pain in the *SS... it took me over 100 rounds to zero in my other 1,000 yard AR-15 over a time span of 2 weeks. :? I have a pic of the BH 100gr bullet on my site.. here is the link. Oh yea... BEWARE OF THE SOUND FILE WHEN THE PAGE OPENS... :wink: http://www.geocities.com/expert_riflema ... 23two.html . You can clearly see the 100gr BH bullet does not even have a boat tail design... this is because the bullet its self is so long that the rear of the bullet slowly pulls the "air bubble" created by the nose back towards the centerline of the resistance point... thus full filling the purpose of the boat tail with out having a boat tail present.

Oh yea... the 5th question down on the 3rd page has to deal with twist rates and what happens when you use to heavy of a bullet in to slow a twist... Ive seen 5.56 tracers fired out of a 1-14" twist M-16 and it will go about 75 to 80 yards and then dramatically take a 20 degree turn and go flying in random directions... not very safe.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bet if i put a scope on the carry handle there would be alot more responses on this thread :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
BC, I think you will be good out 1000 with Irons. I would like to shoot my Match Garand that far some time, but in OH the facilities with that distance are very limited. Perry is the only one I know of off the top of my head, and it is kind of hard to get in there.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Isnt there any BLM land or otherwise open area with a hill for a backstop that is legal to shoot on? Thats what i did when i was younger with my friends... we would go out to the desert or the salt flats and shoot 1,000 yards with out springfield 03's, M-1's and huntin rifles... then as time... age... and most importantly... MONEY... progressed; we started getting better rifles. Thats where i learned to shoot 1,000 yard iron sights. 55 gallon oil drums filled with sand / dirt work great as targets. We would usually stack them 2 high and 5 wide. Make sure to stack the top drums uptop the bottom ones before filling the top ones... there pretty hard to stack up when there full. :lol:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Even with using a competition sling for a support and whatever special gloves you use, getting 10 inch groups at 1000 yards with iron sights is nothing short of a miracle in my mind - to do that you must have the eyes of a hawk.

At 3-400m's the torso target is half the width of the foresight, at 1,000 yards it must be under a quarter of the width I would assume - being able to keep the exact same point of aim at that distance and keeping the rifle that still really is amazing.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: re

Yimmy said:
At 3-400m's the torso target is half the width of the foresight, at 1,000 yards it must be under a quarter of the width I would assume
I dont use standard sights... KNS .034" Square A2 Front Sight Post... Bushmaster .036" Super Match Competition Rear Sight. The front sight looks like a needle... and the rear peep sight looks like a needle couldnt fit through it. :)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

All the same, you must have good eyes.

With my eyes and hands I am pushed to get 100mm groups at 100m's.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Karrots help give you more crisp vision... they make some pills that help too. But ill stick to karrots for now. 2 Karrots a day keeps the eye doc away. :wink:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Amen on the sights BC, My match sights are real nice, set up by the USAMU that built the rifle for my Great uncle when he retired from the unit. This part of Ohio is so urbanized that we are very happy to get a 500m Range and that is GOVT owned on a DOE facility and very hard to get into. I have fired 600 at Perry, and the target was not as hard to see as I thought it would be. The only sling we could use was a 1907sling or web sling. The 600 was prone position slow fire fire single round feed. I was so gratful to the Marine Team as they let me borrow a spotting scope so I could see the markers after each shot. It was my first match, first time firing 600, and 3rd time firing the rifle, so when I fore my best string of the day at 600 I was happy.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you go to Perry every year now? Or was it just that one time? How far is Perry from your home?

BC

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I will be there this year, with more practice, so I can be more respectable I hope, the first time was last year, and what a learning curve. I had none of the right equipment, but everybody was helpful and now I am hooked. Perry is about 1.5 to 2 hrs away, so it takes a lot to stay away form the North Store at CMP. I will compete in the Presidents Match, and boththe Garand and Springfield Matches time off from work permitting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts