Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i was shooting my PSS last weekend. got the best groups at 100 i have gotten so far. they were around .75 give or take. my question is, am i in the twilight zone...
i have my BDC set for 100, im dead on. i set up a target for my pistol at 25 and took a few shots with the rifle. i need to aim one mil HIGH for me to be dead on at 25. what is up with this. is this just that the bullet path is actually arcing up at this point? im assuming so.

thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
the scope is higher up than the rifle
as a result you need to aim a little high if you have a 100y zero at 25y since the barrel is lower than the scope
its zeroed for 100y and theres zero significant bullet drop at 25y
bullets dont fly up they start to fall as soon as they leave the barrel... there only going up when you ajust the scope to aim high so you hit on target

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Jeff is right. The bullet follows a straight line. Your 25 yard zero should translate roughly into a 200 yard zero

·
Registered
58 Posts
:shock:
I am in some serious denial. I was always told that a bullet would rise a little to about 50 yards then drop from their. Looks some thing like this:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... ge1697.jpg

So your saying that a bullet does not ever rise? It falls from the moment it leaves the barrel? I always thought that the riffling would make the bullet spin and that would make it arc a little. Or that is what I have been told.
:?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
The bullet drops as soon as it leaves the bbl. In fact it drops at the same rate as if you just let it go out of your hand. Without getting to technical, because of this and your sites etc when you shoot the muzzel is tipped slightly up so that the inital trajectory the bulley is shooting upward until gravety catches up and pulls it dow, thus you have an arc of flight that the trajectory will actually go up the first few yards. It has nothing to do with 5the spinning, that just stabilizes the flight of the bullet and keeps it going in a straight line.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Eka has it right. The reason a bullet arches is because you aren't aiming straight through your bore, and you can never aim under your bore, as there are no sights on the underside of your rifle. Since your sights are always elevated the barrel is always at an upward tilt.

Think of the barrel being a shelter where the effects of physics can't harm your bullet as much. It can't drop because it is being supported by steel, wind cannot stray it from it's course, and it picks up speed as it is forced out of a diameter smaller than itself. As soon as it leaves the barrel though, physics starts to kick it's butt.

Another weird fact is that a heavier, slower bullet is better at long range than a lighter, faster one. A light bullet requires little to stray it from it's course, be it wind, drop, or whatever. A ping pong ball doesn't require any strength to bat away. Try it with a bowling ball, even if it is going slower, and it requires a lot more force lol. That's grossly hyperbolized, but that's the way it works.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
the trajectory you see is where its zeroed for the range of about 350m

now then if your scope is just straight ahead (perfectly) at all ranges you will be about 1.5 - 2" low in addition to the bullet drop
the bullet drop before 50m on a rifle cartridge is almost always neglidgable

a zero where at thier shorter ranges they will be shooting slightly higih and dead on at thier zero range, below when you have passed their zero range
the bullet isnt rising even at close range actually falling ever so slightly but increacing exponentially while its pointed slightly up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts