Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have been searching around to try to find some steel to make some silhouettes and was wondering if there was a common target size for 1000 yard shooting. I did a Google search but didn’t really find the info I was looking for. Basically, in 1000 yard competition what is the size of the bull and what are the overall target dimensions? I did a search and didn’t see this topic discussed here on the board, so any help would be appreciated.

-Andy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Recoil said:
Why worry about competition dimensions?

Just torch out a man sized target and call it a day. After all, the real point of sniping comes down to making hits on a person at unknown distances, does it not?
Exactly. If you go to google images and search for 1000 yard target you can see pics of them, or well at least scales of them. But I could not find any silhouettes.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Have an "normal sized" (ie: 180 pounds, not 450 pounds) buddy lay down on some meat packing paper and trace his torso and head silhouette out. Reduce the dimensions by an inch or two to compensate for the bulk of clothing, and straighten the edges up. Cut the shape out and use it as a template on your steel.

Easy.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Recoil said:
Why worry about competition dimensions?

Just torch out a man sized target and call it a day. After all, the real point of sniping comes down to making hits on a person at unknown distances, does it not?
That is true for preparation/practice for "sniping", but i am not a sniper, I just like target shooting. Really I just want to make a gong i can shoot at for fun and was curious what size the 1000 yard targets were so i would have something to base it on. I am guessing there is some sort of industry standard to use. I don't want to make it too easy or too hard on myself. What is a realistic expectation for accuracy at that distance? 2 moa, 1 moa, 1/2 moa...?

-Andy

·
Registered
124 Posts
Have you shot paper at that distance? Do you know what kind of groups to expect? I would think that you need to look at your skills and your rifle to determine what size target you'd need for that distance. Me - I'd need about 4'x4' probably just to be able to track hits. Once I got that kind of shooting honed in to a resonably tight group then I'd make a gong of an appropriate size. And you can always cut it down later if its too big and you deem it too easy to hit.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
crazyelece said:
Have you shot paper at that distance? Do you know what kind of groups to expect? I would think that you need to look at your skills and your rifle to determine what size target you'd need for that distance. Me - I'd need about 4'x4' probably just to be able to track hits. Once I got that kind of shooting honed in to a resonably tight group then I'd make a gong of an appropriate size. And you can always cut it down later if its too big and you deem it too easy to hit.
No, i am not ready to shoot at that distance yet. The targets i am making now are smaller for closer ranges. I was just wondering what size target would be more reasonable for that distance so i could make one later.

-Andy

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'd say between 15-24 inches square or round would be a good size for a 1000 yd target. You may want to go a little bigger to start with though and if its too easy cut it down.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
aw25833 said:
What is a realistic expectation for accuracy at that distance? 2 moa, 1 moa, 1/2 moa...?
Well that depends on you and your equipment. If your rifle and you are shooting 1 moa @ 100 then you should be should it at 1000. However you need to realize the moa is dependant on the distance. Example 1 moa @ 100 yards is 1 inch, however at 1000 yards it is closer to 10 inches.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Longshot38 said:
Well that depends on you and your equipment. If your rifle and you are shooting 1 moa @ 100 then you should be should it at 1000. However you need to realize the moa is dependant on the distance.
I understand that, i was just curious what a common target size was for that distance. If I were to go to a 1000 yard match what size targets would they have?

-Andy

·
Registered
262 Posts
Here's a 1000 yard silhouette.

http://www.scssa.org/

Scroll down page about half way.
I'm sure is a bit over-kill for what you are looking for.
But hey! It's an example. :D

This baby is at the range I go to.
No, I haven't had the opportunity to shoot at it yet.

·
Registered
202 Posts
geeeez,,

aw25833, i cant believe you werent stressing out. you kept asking like 15 times, you were like "what do i pack for lunch?" everyones like, why you wanna pack why dont u buy it, where u gonna eat it, how u gonna eat it, what u gonna do while eating it, this is how you eat it. sorry i just think its funny. how everyone circled every possible alternate explaination..

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
lone_soldier said:
geeeez,,

aw25833, i cant believe you werent stressing out. you kept asking like 15 times, you were like "what do i pack for lunch?" everyones like, why you wanna pack why dont u buy it, where u gonna eat it, how u gonna eat it, what u gonna do while eating it, this is how you eat it. sorry i just think its funny. how everyone circled every possible alternate explaination..
Maybe that's because the point was that he need not worry about an exact size, down to the fraction of an inch; that one only needs a man sized target and that's pretty easy to figure out on your own (and if one needs help figuring it out, they're too dumb to own guns).

As for stressing out, it's the rest of us that stress when people make things harder than they are. What else is stressful is that people try to make this a target shooting website when it's a sniper website. I'd think the name "Sniper Central" would be the first clue. And like I said before, the ultimate point of sniping is being able to make a (hopefully) lethal hit on a man from an unknown distance in all kinds of conditions.

This is the goal of the sniper and all his training revolves around it. Therefore the size of any 1,000 yard NRA target is irrelevant.

Sorry for the dose of reality and logic, again. We were being helpful...It's all the target and benchrest types here who created the eventual problem. If it's that kind of stuff one is interested in, one would be better served going somewhere that focuses on said pursuits.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i totally agree recoil i was just sayin it was comicale to see how nobody answered his question but rather changed it into what they would do. and calling someone "too dumb to own a gun" because they asked for help on something doesnt make any sense. the point of a forum is to pass knowledge and answer questions to help out people. if everyone here was an expert on every aspect of shooting then whats the point. im just saying what i think.

no harm intended :shock:

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
lone_soldier said:
and calling someone "too dumb to own a gun" because they asked for help on something doesnt make any sense.
I didn't call him or anyone else here too dumb to own a gun, did I?

I said that if someone can't figure out the size of a man target, they're too dumb to own a gun. I stand by that statement.

·
Registered
202 Posts
it doesnt really matter, im not gonna nit pick but you said he needs not worry about size down to a fraction of an inch, and just needs a man sized target, and anyone who cant figure that out is too dumb to own a gun, whether u meant it or not it could be percieved as calling him dumb. but anyway i just, wanted to point that out

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
What he said was: if anyone can't figure out the size of a man size target he is too dumb to own a gun. And I agree. It is not the same as saying that AW25833 is dumb.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Thanks, Storm. That's precisely what I meant and said.

You have a choice, lone_soldier: you can read what I said or you can read what you think I said. One way is right and the other is wrong. I'll let you figure out which is which.

That's all I'm gonna say about the matter because 1) this is retarded, and 2) we're waaaaay off topic now.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i agree and i understand what you said i was simply pointing it out that someone could interpret it as calling them dumb, thats it i know you meant no harm, but anyway ya lets end it cuz its irrelevent now,

no harm intended recoil. just pointing it out. sorry

1 - 20 of 34 Posts