Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Wow...I went away for the weekend and this topic went off on a tagent.

For the record, I did not take any offense to recoils statement. I haven't been on the board here for very long, but i have been here long enough to read some of recoils posts and i know what to expect and how to take it. He says what he thinks and gives his honest opinions on the topic. Whatever they may be. I respect that and it doesn't bother me in the least. In fact i enjoy it because his posts tend to be very imformative and lot of times bring up sides to the discussion that haven't come up yet.

Recoil, I hope you don't mind my assessment of you here.

And what he said was true, a sniper should be able to hit a man sized target at the distance they are planning on shooting and to them the "official" size of an NRA target is irrelevant. I should have worded the original question differently anyway to avoid confusion. Everyone talks about the accuracy of their rifles and rates them based on their accuracy at 100 yards (1/4 moa, 1/2 moa, etc.) and theoretically if the gun if capable of 1/4 moa accuracy at 100 yards it should be able to see that at 1000 as well, but there are a lot more factors to contend with at 1000 yards so i was just curious what would be considered a "good" or "decent"
group at that distance.

Regardless i built my target this weekend. I found a piece of 1/2" plate steel at a scrap yard that measured 11" x 19" and welded up a rig to hold it. I will just work my way out and see how far i can get and still hit it.

-Andy

·
Registered
124 Posts
Be prepared to fix holes. I found a .308 to go through 1/2 in steel pretty easy, although I don't know the strength steel I was working with as it was out of scrap as well. I found a piece of 1" that works well but still leaves a serious dimple or divet.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
crazyelece said:
Be prepared to fix holes. I found a .308 to go through 1/2 in steel pretty easy
At what distance were you shooting? I wasn't planning on using the steel under 400 or 500 yards, I was hoping it would be string enough at that distance. But if not i can always change it. I made the rig so that I can take the steel on and off, i can replace it with a thicker plate if need be.

-Andy

·
Registered
625 Posts
[A Fish Called Wanda] Don't call me stupid...[/A Fish Called Wanda] :lol:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If you start at 400y you should be ok. I have a 1/2" thick mild steel that was almost holed by 308 match ammo at 300y. Do expect to see dimples and dents in the target untill you get well past 600y. With an accurate rifle and good conditions your target size will be boring at 600y, after all it's 2moa by 3moa. Once you get dialed in you'll get bored hitting the target all the time.... :lol:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Stormrider said:
If you start at 400y you should be ok. I have a 1/2" thick mild steel that was almost holed by 308 match ammo at 300y. Do expect to see dimples and dents in the target untill you get well past 600y. With an accurate rifle and good conditions your target size will be boring at 600y, after all it's 2moa by 3moa. Once you get dialed in you'll get bored hitting the target all the time.... :lol:
Thanks for the info. I welded threaded links to the back of the plate so that i could unhook it from the chains for easier transporting and so that i could make different target sizes. I was thinking about making a smaller and thicker target (1" thick maybe) for closer ranges depending on how bad this one dented. Regardless i don't intend on using any size steel targets for shot less than 400 yards. At that distance i can see my bullet holes pretty easily in the paper as long as the mirage isn't too bad.

-Andy

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
You'll be able to see hits out to past 800y with no problem if you paint it. Some colors are easier to see hits than others. Mine was not painted white, because I didn't have any white paint, :( so was harder to see at range. I painted it red, because I had red paint, :) and had no problem seeing hits at 800y.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
well a guy told me any real man shoots beer cans at 1k yds all day. Then he showed me his lever gun with open sights. hehe

I've never tried beyond 500 yds. My senior drill instructor called it the free-throw line: m-16 with open sights, man sized silhouette, prone position.

You get a good positional form, with good bone support; adjust your body allignment so when you completely relax every muscle in your body, your sights are lined up on the target. Between the sling and your posture, your skeleton forms a natural structure that will stand still like any building. You can close your eyes, take a deep breath, exhale, open your eyes and you're still right on your target. If you got the right elevation dialed in, which is a no-brainer at a known distance, and don't have too much wind, you can put round after round into the silhouette with open sights.

I like the crosslegged postition too, for the same reasons. You do your part getting into position, and physics will do its part and transform your body into a stable structure as solid and unmoving as anything you could attach your rifle to.

I'm trying to set up a 1k yd range in the woods where I shoot (when I have time, which is basically never, these days). All I need is a spot on a hillside with a positive backstop and unobstructed view. I'll set it with a surveying intrument, I'll know the exact horizontal distance. I figure I'll set several closer at unknown distances, too.

That ought to be interesting. I've never tried getting bone support looking up a hill. Sure works great on level ground though. Guess I'll figure it out.

When I can hit a milk jugs at 1k yds I'll figure I'm ready to have a beer. The first time I try it, I'll get wood if I hit a 6' square.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys. I have been searching around to try to find some steel to make some silhouettes and was wondering if there was a common target size for 1000 yard shooting. I did a Google search but didn’t really find the info I was looking for. Basically, in 1000 yard competition what is the size of the bull and what are the overall target dimensions? I did a search and didn’t see this topic discussed here on the board, so any help would be appreciated.

-Andy
It is frustrating when the those responding do not answer the question. So, in the spirit, here is your answer quoted from the NRA manual.

NRA No. LR—
Aiming Black
(inches)
Rings in White
(inches)
X ring .................................10.00 inches
7 ring ................................ 60.00 inches
10 ring ................................20.00 inches
6 area ....................72x72 square
9 ring ..................................30.00 inches
8 ring ..................................44.00 inches

(b) NRA No. LR Center—Paper size is approximately 45 x 45 inches.
Same scoring ring dimension as NRA No. LR, through 8 ring (may
have arcs of 7 rings on corners of the paper). For use with NRA No.
LR; or may be used to provide the equivalent of No. LR by super-
imposing on the Military MR Target with MR 5 ring becoming the
LR 7 ring; or on the Military B Target with B 3 ring becoming the
LR 7 ring. In these uses, the area outside the 7 ring is the 6 area.
(c) Match sponsors who are unable to obtain single sheet LR target faces
that measure the required 72 inches x 72 inches may use commercially
procured fractional target faces that, when combined, Approximately
form the intended target face. Such fractional target faces must fully
form the 7 ring. If fractional target faces are used, and he hits outside
the 7 ring that still strike the intended 72 inch x 72 inch target face
shall be scored as a 6.

Hope this is what you wanted

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is frustrating when the those responding do not answer the question. So, in the spirit, here is your answer quoted from the NRA manual.

NRA No. LR—
Aiming Black
(inches)
Rings in White
(inches)
X ring .................................10.00 inches
7 ring ................................ 60.00 inches
10 ring ................................20.00 inches
6 area ....................72x72 square
9 ring ..................................30.00 inches
8 ring ..................................44.00 inches

(b) NRA No. LR Center—Paper size is approximately 45 x 45 inches.
Same scoring ring dimension as NRA No. LR, through 8 ring (may
have arcs of 7 rings on corners of the paper). For use with NRA No.
LR; or may be used to provide the equivalent of No. LR by super-
imposing on the Military MR Target with MR 5 ring becoming the
LR 7 ring; or on the Military B Target with B 3 ring becoming the
LR 7 ring. In these uses, the area outside the 7 ring is the 6 area.
(c) Match sponsors who are unable to obtain single sheet LR target faces
that measure the required 72 inches x 72 inches may use commercially
procured fractional target faces that, when combined, Approximately
form the intended target face. Such fractional target faces must fully
form the 7 ring. If fractional target faces are used, and he hits outside
the 7 ring that still strike the intended 72 inch x 72 inch target face
shall be scored as a 6.

Hope this is what you wanted
BRAVO "Fred"!!... I too have wanted to know these dimensions for some time, but had forgotten my desire to discover those critical central ring measures through the time it has taken to actually FIND OUT!!

I am Certain now that you have answered Andy's Original Query, and in the process answered mine and no doubt quite a few others too... Thank you!

So regarding the NRA No. LR Paper Target....
nominally the X-ring is 1 MOA across, the 10-ring is 2 MOA and the 9-ring 3 MOA in diameter pretty near, yes? Logical when one thinks about it, at least to me.
Kind Regards,
Blobbs...

ATB ..... and shoot safely

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts