Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It all comes down to personall prefferance... i honestly dont see anything better about dual peice bases... but some people like them. I myself preffer single peice bases.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well, to be honest one is not any better than the other. The two piece bases are lighter. The single piece bases allow MOA cant. I have and do use both types. I have no real preference of one over the other.

MEL

·
Registered
48 Posts
One piece bases also come in elevation variants. I like 1 piece bases, especially picatinny rails because they offer a bit more adjustment in terms of eye relief. To each his own. Good luck. I'm a fan of Ken farrel rings and bases, what a nice product.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Ok, need a bit of advice.

I'm tired of my two-piece base, and the Mk4 rings I have are too high anyway.. I'll put them on a AR-15 upper some day.

I might end up with Badger - but I don't like to support an overpriced product. So, how does TPS do? Their prices aren't half bad, but that doesn't matter if the product doesn't deliver :?

I'm also looking at Farrell's Hard Line..but damn, why so high? :shock:

USO is out of the question, too expensive. Mk4 base is also out of the question as I don't like it. So the question is, does TPS do the trick - or does Farrell do it? In the end, I'll buy rings and bases from the same place to at least avoid any screw-ups there...

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
TPS makes a very nice product and I recommend giving them a hard look. The Ken Farrell bases and rings are also nice, though their bases tend to be tall, just keep that in mind when ordering your rings. They both do the job very well

MEL

·
Registered
565 Posts
Heh, 120 bucks +p&p for TPS 20MOA steel base and steel 30mm rings. Vs 314 bucks for Badger.. I honestly have a hard time seeing Badger being that much better. :lol:

But I'll give BO heads up for pointing out examples of what scopes their different rings will work with. As one man's "medium", is another man's "medium-high" or something like that. :?

Oops..didn't see the review until now..sorry :oops:

Do you think a 50mm bell would fit on the low rings or should I go medium? I've got a friggin long sun shade and BC covers to worry about, too...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well, looks like it's going tits up, anyway. :? I'm not a very patient person - and there seems to be a mile long back order...so I won't see any TPS gear until late summer. And every shop seems to be out of stock, too...

And I need new base and rings ...yesterday! :evil:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Question- besides saving barely any weight, what advantages do 2-pieces offer? I just don't see why you wouldn't get a solid base.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well, it does give you more space to put your fingers into the chamber or thereabouts - if needed.

That said, I am looking for a one piece base. But since TPS are way too popular these days I'm a bit unsure of what to do. :(

I spotted this NF uni-mount and thought it might be a good - if not expensive - idea. But heck, finding a shop that sells it wasn't easy...

Nah, I don't know what to do now...

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
The new Burris XTR rings and bases that are coming look very promising. Also look at Warne, they make some good units also.

I can get TPS rings, but no bases at the moment.

MEL

·
Registered
565 Posts
Who would've thought some pieces of steel could cause so much trouble...?

I didn't know rings and bases were illegal to export. Are they? Sure, they are intend to be used on weapons..but still. Recieved an email Mr Pridemore at Big River Tactical, and he's not willing to hire a lawyer to guide him through the paper-hell it takes to export rings and bases :( Not that I blame him for that...

I wish I was interested in collectings stamps and not weapons :roll:

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
As far as its been explained to me, the only things regarding optics that are currently restricted are items intended for military use. Unless you are ordering military specific rings and bases (not sure there is such a thing) it is fine to send them international.

MEL

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
APK-223 said:
Question- besides saving barely any weight, what advantages do 2-pieces offer? I just don't see why you wouldn't get a solid base.
I have been told by a top of the line gunsmith, that he will never use single piece bases. He Found that they are often not machined to tight enough tolerances and the height difference between the fron and the back causes too much stress on the receiver. One of his rifles had a catastrophic failure, which after extensive research, was found that the scope mount caused so much stress on the receiver that things went all out of alignment and crapped out. That being said, I have never heard about that anywhere else so it is obviously a very rare occasion that this could even have the possibillity of happening!

John

·
Registered
565 Posts
That's what I thought, too, hence the trouble getting a mildot scope out of the US.

Anyway, Mr Pridemore regards the TSR rings and the XP bases as restricted by the export law - and that leaves me with nothing. :(

Back to searching...

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well, we are aware of the law and would be willing to help. Perhaps I could get what you are looking for and export them?

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
If Mel can't maybe Canada can

·
Registered
565 Posts
I would appreciate it a lot, guys! But don't do anything stupid. I'm not worth getting in trouble with the law for :mrgreen:

I'm living in a damned stamp-collecting country - so getting the parts I need for my hobby is hell. You should see the trouble I'm having getting a RAS II for my M4 :roll:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts