Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't technically a sniper rifle, but...a couple of months ago I saw a 1903 rifle on auction, billed as a National Match model. It looked right and I requested a Springfield Research Service serial number check on it. The inquiry came back with a hit from the SRS...1903A1 NM DCM sale, 9/12/1938. SRS even has a copy of the original sales ticket.

Based on this, I went ahead and put a bid in on it. I hadn't heard anything back from the auction house, so I assumed I hadn't won.

Last week they called and advised that I had won the NM rifle and a 1903A4 that I had also put a bid in on. There were a limited number of pics and description.

Description advised as follows...

A .30-06 ‘MODEL 1903 A1 NATIONAL MATCH’ BOLT-MAGAZINE SERVICE RIFLE, serial no. 1402726, 24in. barrel with blade fore-sight and tangent rear sights to 2850 yards, the muzzle with ‘S.A’ over the ordnance bomb and '1-38’, receiver marked ‘U.S. SPRINGFIELD ARMORY MODEL 1903. 1402726’, polished bolt marked ‘N.S.’ and etched with the serial number, pistolgrip stock with sling swivels and chequered steel buttplate with trap

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
History in your hands right there.
That is every bit a sniper rifle and then some.
Who says a sniper rifle needs a scope?
Oh that wood.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys!

The 1903 National Match arrived at my FFL and I got a chance to give it the once over. Unfortunately, it will be a few weeks before I can bring them home due to Cali's infamous 10-day "cooling-off" period.

The stock is in great shape. There is a drawing number on the buttstock, but not the serial number. There are "S's" stamped in the magazine cutoff cutout. The bolt is lightly electro penciled with the serial number.

I took a few pictures before it went into the safe to start the 10 day "cooling off" period.

Buttplate appears correct

Barrel is excellent, measures a "0" on the CMP muzzle gauge, and has the star gauge mark.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Gotta get video of you shooting it. That's an awesome piece of history right there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really nice National match, congrats.:cool:
Thanks, guys! I've ordered a history letter from Springfield Research Service and a copy of the original DCM sales ticket, from 1938. In the mean time, a nice poster on another forum who has a copy of the DCM sales records posted a copy of the page from the book that has my rifle's serial number on it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 1903 A1 with a custom stock, I purchased from my buddy. It was a earlier serial number stamped SA-1913 ,the barrel has been tested and chamber oversized for pressure issues by gunsmith. It shoots very well, but it is heavy for carrying hunting. The barrel actual marked SA 2-13 with the ordinance meatball between the Sa and the date. The book I have is "The Model 1903 Springfield Rifle and its Variations". On the cover is US marine marksman shooting a 1903 A1 at Quantico in 1933. The reason I said it was 1903 A1 is it has a ladder sight not an peep sight which the 1903 A3 had. This book is loaded with info on all 1903 rifles.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 1903 A1 with a customer stock, I purchased from my buddy. It was a earlier serial number stamped SA-1913 ,the barrel has been tested and chamber oversized for pressure issues by gunsmith. It shoots very well, but it is heavy for carrying hunting.
Post a few pictures of it sometime.

I got some documentation from the SRS on my rifle. In case anyone ever wondered what the SRS letter and Ordnance sales ticket look like.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Stunning rifle. Have had many 03A3's but never a 1903. On the list as they say. Hope the bore is as nice as the rest of the rifle. Great find!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have a 1903 A1 with a customer stock, I purchased from my buddy. It was a earlier serial number stamped SA-1913 ,the barrel has been tested and chamber oversized for pressure issues by gunsmith. It shoots very well, but it is heavy for carrying hunting.
Heavy?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stunning rifle. Have had many 03A3's but never a 1903. On the list as they say. Hope the bore is as nice as the rest of the rifle. Great find!
Thanks, 604. The bore is amazing...a "0" on the CMP gauge.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 1903 A1 with a custom stock, I purchased from my buddy. It was a earlier serial number stamped SA-1913 ,the barrel has been tested and chamber oversized for pressure issues by gunsmith. It shoots very well, but it is heavy for carrying hunting. The barrel actual marked SA 2-13 with the ordinance meatball between the Sa and the date. The book I have is "The Model 1903 Springfield Rifle and its Variations". On the cover is US marine marksman shooting a 1903 A1 at Quantico in 1933. The reason I said it was 1903 A1 is it has a ladder sight not an peep sight which the 1903 A3 had. This book is loaded with info on all 1903 rifles.
I've got a number of 1903 rifles that have been converted to match rifles, with Lyman and Redfield target sights. One of them, a Remington 1903 (not 03A3), has an interesting custom stock. it is very comfortable to shoot...

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I purchased this rifle ,it had a Redfield peep sight on the and a side mounted Zeiss scope. The scope was a 3/4 diameter and fixed 2 1/2 power, The side mount was steel German style. The scope I still have and replaced it with a weaver side mount, which takes 1" diameter scope. The scope I used is fixed 6 Redfield scope. The side mount had to be shimmed to move away from the bolt handle. The bolt handle was polished for more clearance between scope and the bolt itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I purchased this rifle ,it had a Redfield peep sight on the and a side mounted Zeiss scope. The scope was a 3/4 diameter and fixed 2 1/2 power, The side mount was steel German style. The scope I still have and replaced it with a weaver side mount, which takes 1" diameter scope. The scope I used is fixed 6 Redfield scope. The side mount had to be shimmed to move away from the bolt handle. The bolt handle was polished for more clearance between scope and the bolt itself.
I had the same side mount Zeiss scope. Weaver side mount installed with Bushnell scope 4X. Polished bolt handle and shimmed for the action to work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts