Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might join a 1000yd range at which point I'm going to upgrade from reloading 168gr SMKs to something heavier(work good at our 600yd range)

Reason I am thinking 190gr is because our local gun shop has boxes and boxes of them and they aren't moving.

I have heard of people using 208 a-max with great results... but they are always out of stock so I figured I'd try 190gr'ers.

I'm currently shooting a savage 10FP 1:10 twist with 24" of barrel (lands length)

I can get a 168gr moving 2825 fps without any pressure signs(could probably move them faster)

I'm shooting for 2500-2600fps with the 190gr (or faster)

I currently am using IMR-4064 but have found people recommending using a slower powder like RL 17 or 19 if I'm going above 175gr in weight.

Has anyone developed a load that works?

Thanks,

MIke.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I use 190g Berger bullets. The powder is Varget and the primer is Wolfe standard. I get about 2600 or so with no pressure signs. I would recommend you start at 41g and evaluate your results. I have a 26in bbl.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i use 43 grn imr4064 with the 190smk right at 2600 in my 26inch barrelback off some and try it

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
I have two boxes of 190g hornady bthp match bullets that i got given to me. will they stabilize in a 1:12 factory remington barrel or should i save my powder and buy some 175-178's?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I got really good results using 40.5 grains of IMR-4064 behind a 190 SMK, as a matter of fact, that's Sierras recommended "accuracy" load and they tested it using a Savage rifle too. It may not be the speed that you're looking for, though.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
If you developed an accurate load with 190's you'd be good for 1K but I'd look at other bullets with better BC's for their weight (like the 208's you mentioned). I find 155 scenars to be very accurate to 1300yds at modest velocities (just under 2900fps). I'm not trying to discourage you from using heavier bullets that would no-doubt buck the wind better at 1000, but don't altogether disregard your 168gr load, or even trying lighter bullets (with good BC's for their weight). One load may look better on paper, and may in fact have less drift, but accuracy often wins in the field.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Adam,
Try the new Hornady 178 BTHP, they have a BC of .530 and shoot very well. I load the same charge as my 175 SMK's.
Sorry to the OP, didn't mean to change the subject.
Sully

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you developed an accurate load with 190's you'd be good for 1K but I'd look at other bullets with better BC's for their weight (like the 208's you mentioned). I find 155 scenars to be very accurate to 1300yds at modest velocities (just under 2900fps). I'm not trying to discourage you from using heavier bullets that would no-doubt buck the wind better at 1000, but don't altogether disregard your 168gr load, or even trying lighter bullets (with good BC's for their weight). One load may look better on paper, and may in fact have less drift, but accuracy often wins in the field.
I realize this is a very old thread but I've recently done load development with Berger 190 Juggernauts and they have a G1BC of over .600. I shoot at a 1000 yard range with electronic targets. The sensors need the round to be well into supersonic speeds to register the shots. I was shooting 178g ELD Match bullets with varget loaded pretty hot at about 2780 muzzle velocity. When they reached the 1000 yard target they were moving at 1220 fps. The 190g Bergers with a 2615 Muzzle velocity were still moving at 1350 fps @ 1000 yards. This was a real eye opener moment for me about how much B.C. and weight affects velocity. I was really surprised by how much velocity the 190s retained!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I realize this is a very old thread but I've recently done load development with Berger 190 Juggernauts and they have a G1BC of over .600. I shoot at a 1000 yard range with electronic targets. The sensors need the round to be well into supersonic speeds to register the shots. I was shooting 178g ELD Match bullets with varget loaded pretty hot at about 2780 muzzle velocity. When they reached the 1000 yard target they were moving at 1220 fps. The 190g Bergers with a 2615 Muzzle velocity were still moving at 1350 fps @ 1000 yards. This was a real eye opener moment for me about how much B.C. and weight affects velocity. I was really surprised by how much velocity the 190s retained!
You should developed an accurate load with 190's you'd be good for 1K but I'd look at other bullets with better BC's for their weight (like the 208's you mentioned). I find 155 scenars to be very accurate to 1300yds at modest velocities (just under 2900fps). I'm not trying to discourage you from using heavier bullets that would no-doubt buck the wind better at 1000, but don't altogether disregard your 168gr load

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You should developed an accurate load with 190's you'd be good for 1K but I'd look at other bullets with better BC's for their weight (like the 208's you mentioned). I find 155 scenars to be very accurate to 1300yds at modest velocities (just under 2900fps). I'm not trying to discourage you from using heavier bullets that would no-doubt buck the wind better at 1000, but don't altogether disregard your 168gr load
If you are referring to 168gr SMKs, I would move on to another brand pill. I tried Factory Federal GMM with 168s and no joy at 1000k. Moved to 175 SMKs and 1000 was a done deal in calm wind conditions. At the time I was using 308 700P 26” 1/10. 1000 was the farthest available at my range.

I attended a Seminar by Applied Ballistics and I posed my question regarding the 168 SMK not making it to 1000 and Bryan Litz said the boat tail geometry was not right. (Obviously paraphrasing) Anyone serious about LD should consider attending although be advised, this 2 day seminar is about $700 pp not including logistics. It is also not for beginners. Also Just a warning, photography was limited due to security measures for some participants.

·
Registered
9 Posts
my gun likes the hornady 168 a max match i took one apart to find out how much powder and what kind took me a year to figure it out 42 grains powder at 2700 fps (IMR 3031) it is a hotter powder but it fills the case and no pressure sign. Don't tell anyone!!!!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
my gun likes the hornady 168 a max match i took one apart to find out how much powder and what kind took me a year to figure it out 42 grains powder at 2700 fps (IMR 3031) it is a hotter powder but it fills the case and no pressure sign. Don't tell anyone!!!!
Do you get bug holes with that recipe?

·
Registered
9 Posts
one raged hole at 100 yards with a ar 10 brother for some rezone all my other loads the fist shoot is always 1 inch off but not with this load last time out hit 5 out of 5 pennys at 100 i think that is below moa.
would love to know how they shoot in a bolt gun. try it out and let me know. this is a old timers sniper load hope it does well for you.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
There seems to be a trend with heavy for caliber projectiles giving you greater distance. When I do load development for a weapon, I look for a round that will max the down range capability of that weapon. Not a fan of tinkering with zero once I have the weapon load dialed in so loading a second or third recipe for that weapon is not in my MO. Once I run out of 175SMKs I’m going to look at something in the 200+ gr area. Haven’t been terribly motivated to do that as my range max distance is 1000yds and the 175 is fine with that. Plus my primary target weapons are now 6.5CM.

·
Registered
551 Posts
There seems to be a trend with heavy for caliber projectiles giving you greater distance. When I do load development for a weapon, I look for a round that will max the down range capability of that weapon. Not a fan of tinkering with zero once I have the weapon load dialed in so loading a second or third recipe for that weapon is not in my MO. Once I run out of 175SMKs I’m going to look at something in the 200+ gr area. Haven’t been terribly motivated to do that as my range max distance is 1000yds and the 175 is fine with that. Plus my primary target weapons are now 6.5CM.
175 SMK's have been working very well for me also. But a few months ago I was able to pick up 500 Berger 185 jugs to try for the first time. Got the 185 jugs dialed in and they're doing great, as I had hoped for. Though the 175's work great, I'd have to say the 185 jugs have an edge, especially at distance. Am not sure going up to 200+ gr pills can really do much better at 1000yds???

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
175 SMK's have been working very well for me also. But a few months ago I was able to pick up 500 Berger 185 jugs to try for the first time. Got the 185 jugs dialed in and they're doing great, as I had hoped for. Though the 175's work great, I'd have to say the 185 jugs have an edge, especially at distance. Am not sure going up to 200+ gr pills can really do much better at 1000yds???
My 6.5 142SMKs are flying pretty good so I’m going to wait a bit before I go back to tinkering with my 308. Maybe by the time I run out of 142s someone will dial in the best 308 heavy. I’ll add them to my reorder. I try to batch my order to save on shipping.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts