Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been comtemplating getting a 1911 for some time now. i have it basically narrowed down to 3. Springfield mil spec, springfield Gi 45, and colt ww1 replica. I am looking for the best reliability and quality. what would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have to ask why the Colt WWI reproduction?

I know its not on your list, but personally I would go with the Colt Series 70 Reporduction. Same non-BS firing system from the Series 70, but built to new tolerances on new production equipment and supposedly some of the best built and functioning Colts ever put out. If you look at the LouderThanWords.com web site, you'll see a discussion among the various 1911 custom gunsmiths that say these same things.

JeffVN

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice. as to the ww1 repro, i always have been a fan of the old 1911's and always heard them the best made, and was trying to see if the repro was good or not. thanks again and keep em coming.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Springfield hands down!!! I've buyed-n-tried them all. Colt, Kimber, Les Baer, you name it. I currently have two Springfield TRPs as primary carry weapons and now have close to 15000 rds through them combined (and no, I don't carry them both at the same time, even if I am from Texas). The only jams I ever had were magazine related and these have not been repeated since switching to Wilson Combat mags exclusively. Accuracy with just about anything I feed them is outstanding, but they do shoot best with heavier bullets. I wouldn't waste my time or money on a Colt anymore. You could damn near buy two Springfields for the price of the Colt and the extra money you'd spend to get it to work reliably. There are guns out there that will equal or even exceed the Springfield in performance, but no-one is anywhere close for the money.

K2

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the springfields, any of them.
I personally prefer the kimber though if your open to another brand. The LAPD carries them exclusively(as far as i know) and the one I own has never jammed in the 5000 rounds that ive put through it.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
spade said:
I personally prefer the kimber though if your open to another brand. The LAPD carries them exclusively(as far as i know) and the one I own has never jammed in the 5000 rounds that ive put through it.
Amen! :D

I have a Kimber Tactical Custom II...Yes, it's a Series II. :roll:
I love it..

Runs clean, dirty, HP's, etc. It will cycle anything I put in it and shoot very accurately.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
wish id never sold that damn gun....::sigh:: damn bills.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Anyone have extensive experience with Sig's 1911, the GSR?

I shot it at the range and thought it was a great weapon, but that was only a box of ammo.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
266 Posts
spade said:
the Marine Corps Special Operations Command,Detachment 1 (MARSOC Det. 1) uses Kimber too

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have money that the springfield TRP operator will out shoot WHATEVER kimber comes its way. I know, I get to shoot everything, one of the perks of the job. Oh the FBI carry the springfield biotches. We have the FBI springfield at work. It comes with a nolan barrel

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Ill take that bet. Ive shot one of kimbers customs before... consistant 2 inch full clip groups at 15 yards with me shooting freehanded. And im no bullseye shooter.

·
Registered
994 Posts
sniperdog-alpha1 said:
I have money that the springfield TRP operator will out shoot WHATEVER kimber comes its way. I know, I get to shoot everything, one of the perks of the job.
Since you have so much confidence with the Springfield, would you please tell us what kind of groups you've been able to shoot with it vs. the Kimber?

I've never been sexually aroused by a firearm before, but it appears you are quite taken with the Springfield Armory products, and so I'm sure the majority of people here would be interested in first-hand testimony.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I would go the springfield route as well. I have a kimber that is a great gun and I won't ever get rid of it, but I won't buy another. The fact that quite a few of the parts have plastic in the metal molding mixture just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

John

·
Registered
492 Posts
Have you seen the TRP operator? Seriously?! I get to shoot damn near everything at work. I actually was considering getting a kimber cdp, or ultra carry for my carry piece. I chose the springfield v-10 ultra compact super tuned. As far as the operater goes our little shooting range just happens to be about 15yrds long and you can consistently shoot the red bullseye out of the bin laden targets. Oh yeah a kimber has wilson parts, in a kimber frame. Damn that is custom. It is my job for a living to biuld ar's, and basically have a PHD in firearms. This is only my opinion, kimber are fine guns, but if you shot the trp operator you would under stand. It has the kimbers on the full length, but the kimbers have springfield on the compacts. The best shooting compact that springfield made was the v-10 which I carry. It has ten ports, bull barrel,duel buffer system/guide rod/ ambi safeties, beavertail,novak sights, and hogue grips. Fact is I get my guns CHEAP, if a kimber shot better I would of bought it. Oh yeah I don't have a operator trp, but I have a standard operator, and my kimber eclipse outshoots the standard, but I am talkin about the trp model, so I am not biast torwards only one cause I have both!!!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
i really hate to tell you this, but an epileptic monkey on crack could build an ar-15. You work for a firearms distributor, but you absolutely no where near have a PHD in guns. I know your helping mel out, and we are all quite aware of who you work for, but your quite possibly the most arrogant dick ive ever met.

If your going to argue that a particular firearm is better than another, give some quantative evidence. Just saying that your an expert and this is what you like doesnt mean a damn thing to me or 90 percent of the other people on this board.

Btw, the comment about kimbers custom shop guns was really freakin immature.

Spade

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I really like the TRP operator as well. I love the extra weight on it. I will be getting either one of those or possibly a STI duty one at some point in the not so near future. I am trying to find someone that has an STI that I can shoot before I pick up one of their guns. Of course I might also just buy one of there slide to frame fits and have one built on the duty one platform.

John

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
As an addendum to the above post:

Would you please stop touting your job around like a badge of honor. It doesnt make you look important, it makes you look insecure. I want to say also that i respect your opinion, but would greatly appreciate it if you would present it in a clearer, more fact based manner. As opposed to the cluttered and arrogant way that i just commented on.

thx in advance.

Spade.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I am not trying to post my job as a badge of honor and I am sorry that if came off that way. As for the arrogant dick part I really wasn't trying to come off that way and I am truely sorry about that. I guess I was a little to forward with my opinion in that, but still I truely think that the operator will out shoot the kimber. I love my job yes, but who wouldn't. As for can anyone biuld an AR15? yes. Is it is to pass the bushmaster/blackwater 3 year certification. NO, it is not. We are a little more than just a distributor, so do not think that you should pass jundgment. It was not my intent to piss anyone off, but if I did sorry. As for my job again, I would be more proud if I was a soldier or where the service. I am not ashamed of my job, in any wat and I will not apologize for a job wich I love and excel at. So spade chill out, it was not my intent to make anyone mad, but the operator does shoot damn well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have to side with Spade on this.

It's your third post and you have yet to provide any quantitative evidence as to how the TRP outshoots a Kimber. This goes back to the idea that each person has their own best shooter and it comes down to what you're comfortable with. If you're going to try and prove that anybody with a TRP will outshoot a Kimber, you're going to have to start posting group sizes, distances and some other information about what the gun actually puts on paper, rather then the qualitative "I like it better."

Sorry, but you're just not proving your point here, and it seems that you're sidestepping the issue at every juncture.

·
Registered
492 Posts
First off it was probably around a 1.5-1.75 inch group with fed ae ammo. I am sorry if I don't always have time to post right away. I am a little busy working up pricing for the site. I am no bulls eye shooter either, but the trp made me feel like one. So I hope that now I have found the time to reply pleases all those that I are pissed about my post. The lapd swat carries the kimber TLE II and switching to the TLE RL II, but the standard are issued glocks. So go shoot the trp and let me know what you think. You might agree that it is awesome. sniperdog

1 - 20 of 21 Posts