Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my (limited) understanding that 1911s are built mechanically uniform by their variety of manufacturers, and the differences between manufacture A's 1911 and manufacture B's 1911 would be the material used in the construction of the parts, precision involved in machining said parts, and overall quality control.

Is this incorrect, and if not, is there a huge difference between manufacturers of 1911s, or is the margin of difference only unnoticable until you begin to push the gun's capabilities (accuracy at unlikely distances, etc.)?

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have 8 1911 pistols... ranging from WW1 to modern day tactical double stack 1911's... beleive it or not i can take the parts out of the WW1 Colt and put them directly into my tactical Wilson Combat / Springfield Operator 1911's with no fuss. Thats whats so great about the 1911... all the parts are interechangable and there are so many after market parts for them you can build up a 1911 for any situation or purpose. :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Differences? Typically, the only differences I have found is the machining and fitting of parts. Otherwise they are pretty much the same.

I would never pay for a name when you can, with simple tools, make a better weapon than most manufactures for the same, or cheaper price.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
For the most part there aren't any differences. However there is one item that I know can differ. Wilson and Ed Brown use different beaver tails on their frames. If you are at a gun store that carries both, then you can easily see the difference. It is the radius of the beaver tail cut that is different, one is just a little wider than the other. So if you plan to build one, you just need to specify which cut you want on the frame and then purchase the proper parts accordingly. The two different types of cuts are usually referred to the Wilson/Caspian, and the Ed Brown style.

Wilson uses caspian frames which is why they are called both, however Wilson is going to start making their own frames at some point this year. They are making some changes to their fram, but I have no idea what they are.

John

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
That might be because Caspian is out of the frame making business. I think you'll also find that the tollerances for some are consideably tighter (like Baer) than others.

I know of two custom 1911 makers that are going into the 1911 frame business - they are going to manufactuer (actually pay someon to do it for them to their specs) a 7075 Aluminum frame in three sizes (detonics, officer, government). I'm have one of ht ecustom builders do a project for me, so I'm going to be getting one of the first production frames - don't hold your breath waiting to see it - we are talking at least a year out from today.

JeffVN

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
When is Caspian leaving the frame business? I just ordered a fram from them a couple of weeks ago. (Should be here this week) They also just did alot of updating to their website. It doesn't look like they are pulling the frames out of their lineup, but that doesn't mean anything.

John

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm surprised to hear that about Caspian as well. Very, very surprised.

I really hope that isn't true, I was going to do a build on a Caspian Titanium frame in the not-to-distant future.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
My bad guys. Idouble checked my email, and it was Chip McCormick that was going out of the frame-making business. :oops:

JeffVN

·
Registered
383 Posts
Jeffvn said:
My bad guys. Idouble checked my email, and it was Chip McCormick that was going out of the frame-making business. :oops:

JeffVN
/slap

There is NO EXCUSE for EVER being wrong! :twisted: But glad to hear they are still in business because this summer i am planning on building my brother a carry 1911. I'm going to be buying him a DPMS LR too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts