Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1911 Slide

8K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  JRP3 
#1 ·
I am in the process of putting together a 1911. I currently have a caspian frame that I am going to be using. I was wondering if anyone had any input on slide preference. All of the companies I am looking at seem to be in the same price range, but I was wondering about quality. Anyone have any input on the following?

5" slide

1)Caspian Arms(I know they supply wilson with their frames, I would assume they use their slides as well)
2)STI
3)Les Baer

Thanks,

John

#2 ·
i really like the caspian slides as well, theres generally very good fittament due to the fact your using the same manufactuer.....

you can always get one of those goregeous caspian steel ones.

#3 ·
Spade is talking about the damascus steel slides (cool but actually made in Sweden or something like that). I agree on caspian - I have one on my Burns custom, and am getting two for my custom carry pistols. When properly fit they are absolutely perfect in function.

JeffVN

#4 ·
Thats what i meant, i type things sometimes and they never come out the same way they do in my head.

Ever start typing something while listening to a song and end up typing lyrics to the song by accident?

#5 ·
spade said:
Thats what i meant, i type things sometimes and they never come out the same way they do in my head.

Ever start typing something while listening to a song and end up typing lyrics to the song by accident?
I have big wheels keep on turning, carry me home to see my kin...

No idea what you are talking about :D

#6 ·
I am probably going to go the Caspian route. Do either of you have any input on how good Caspian is at making their 1911's? The reason I am asking is that I might just see if they can fit the slide there before they send the receiver to my FFL. Or are there other things during construction that would make it pointless to fit the slide to frame before they are done. (As I am just getting a bare bones frame and slide from them)

Thanks,

John

And do you happen to have a link to the damascus slides? I recognize the term damascus steel, probably from one of the Highlander movies or something stupid like that. Used to make swords?? Ok, done babbling for now.

#7 ·
Ok, it appears as though the big link, on caspians website, that says "Damascus Slides" contains the information I was looking for.

Damascus Slides

Heat treated Damascus billets, created by a patented process in Sweden, are the basis for these art pieces. As durable as they are beautiful. 6-12 months delivery. All options apply.

John

#8 ·
My vote is for the Caspian components, I've seen many really good 1911s built on Caspian parts, just make sure you have a good gunsmith.

Also, just some food for thought, Damascus slides do not have the corrosion resistant properties of stainless. Then again, they're gorgeous *grin* you'll just have to weigh the balance, and do post pics of how it turns out.

Out of curiosity, what are the specs for the in-progress pistol?

#10 ·
I ended up going with a Caspian slide for this build. They had a great deal on a slide, and they threw in a couple of extras for free.

Not many parts spec'd for this build as of yet. It is going to be a 45. Light Rail, integrated mag well. I am planning on putting in the novak cut adjustable combat sights.

Mad,

I am planning on building another 1911 on the STI duty one frame and slide at a later point. Maybe start ordering the parts towards the middle of summer. I am trying to get one in my hand first, as I have heard that they are beefier than some of the others out there and I wanted to check the feel before I invest the fundage.

John

#11 ·
I saw the STI slide on a KT Ordnance frame. I was beyond impressed. When we go to Montana, I will arrange for you to see and shoot this piece. And then you will see what I mean.

You actually have to hold the thing in your hand to really appreciate just how beautiful it is. I think that the STI slide is the finest slide that ever was mounted on a pistol.

But then I'm

Mad

#16 ·
Thanks Mad,

I will check it out when I can.

Phone Call

Me: Hello, this is John, is Richard there?

Operator: He is, hold a second please.

Me: Hi Richard, I got your name from MadGunSmith.

click...

Me: Hello?

Me: Crap...

/Phone Call

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.