Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the package, beieve the 20 looks better and would be easier to store and carry in the field if i brought it hunting. OWndering how the shorter barrel effects range and velocity of ammuntiion though.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
this topic has been covered ALOT around here, if you use the search button you will probably find 20 threads about sps tacticals versus the sps varmints. usually the common consensus is unless you plan on shooting at real long ranges chopping the barrel won't hurt you, in fact the shorter barrel can be stiffer, which means less barrel whip. I personally would go with a 20 inch, since there's no way i will be shooting at 800+ yards any time soon.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
DeathStick said:
this topic has been covered ALOT around here, if you use the search button you will probably find 20 threads about sps tacticals versus the sps varmints. usually the common consensus is unless you plan on shooting at real long ranges chopping the barrel won't hurt you, in fact the shorter barrel can be stiffer, which means less barrel whip. I personally would go with a 20 inch, since there's no way i will be shooting at 800+ yards any time soon.
+1 to everything. go with a 20 inch and this have been covered ALOT!

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
+1 to the above, if you may go over 600 - 700yds rarely, then the 20" is the go. But if you shoot long range (600yds+) often, then the 26" would be good. Better velocity but I would go with the 20". Its personal preference but the 20" gets my vote.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Eh, I have a 24" and really like it.
I dont find it to long, and its real east to handle.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
becks said:
Eh, I have a 24" and really like it.
I dont find it to long, and its real east to handle.
But you're in Canada where, being closer to the Magnetic North Pole, steel is lighter and therefore easier to carry. 8) :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
haha sure, Ill go along with that! :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
lol, my 24 inch savage 10 is fine as well, i don't have any beefs with it. a 400 dollar eberle pack helps when carrying an 11 pound rifle, but mike r at tacops did the testing and his word is gold. barrel whip does decrease precision and that means any unnecessary length is well... unnecessary. if this were my first bigbore precision rifle i'd go with the 20 inch. in a few years once you have more experience in the world of precision shooting and feel you can stretch your ability to farther ranges, you can always buy a second rifle in a caliber and barrel length more geared towards longer ranges.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i got my 700 chopped to 20" and had a muzzle brake put on. I personally like the feel of the 20" and the accuracy is hard to beat. I know 20" barrels will give you more muzzle flip from a bipod, but the muzzle brake easily overcomes that. it's very enjoyable. and as far as limitations...there are many pro shooters on here who have sent lapua scenar 155's similar bullets out to 1000 yards with ease with their 20" barrels.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i got my 700 chopped to 20" and had a muzzle brake put on. I personally like the feel of the 20" and the accuracy is hard to beat. I know 20" barrels will give you more muzzle flip from a bipod, but the muzzle brake easily overcomes that. it's very enjoyable. and as far as limitations...there are many pro shooters on here who have sent lapua scenar 155's similar bullets out to 1000 yards with ease with their 20" barrels.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't own anything that shorter than a 24" simply because I shoot long range.
Keep in mind that you can shoot a 26" gun the same ranges a 20" will go but you have the ability to get further out with better results with the longer barrel. If the only concern is being able to move around with a 26" then I would suffer the burden of a 1lb or two more weight and a bunch more capability.

Tim

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have 308s in 22" and 26" and I really like the 22". Any shorter would look weird to me. 22" you can shoot LR accurately and yet its still compact. I have a Remi 870 shotgun with a 28" barrel with a 3" muzzle brake/choke and its so dang long and it ain't funny......but then again thats a shotgun

·
Registered
70 Posts
Eric32 said:
in a .308 you only need maybe 2 to 3 mintues more to get to 1k with a 18 to 20 barrel than a 26 inch barrel

http://www.sniperschool.com/sniper-rifle-barrel-length/

read that article see if it doesn't help change your mind
Good read but there is not enough information about the ammo used, the conditions ect ect.
It also varies for each rifle as cutting a 26" barrel to a 18" will drastically change the harmonics.
Long range accuracy out of a short barrel is not a common thing.

Tim

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Eric32 said:
in a .308 you only need maybe 2 to 3 mintues more to get to 1k with a 18 to 20 barrel than a 26 inch barrel
It may only take another 2-3 minutes, and it may only loose 100 yards ot total range, it may shoot a triffling better. However, taking the position that you (the guy with the shorter barrel) have not lost anything (i.e its all gain) is also incorrect. You have lost a little evevation, a little windage, a little velocity, a little range.

I have nothing against shorter barrels, and in general I see the whole shooting community heading towards using shorter barrels most of the time. However many shooters 'most' ends up being, there are still those applications where the longer barrel still retains an advantage. Its just that the number of these is shrinking.

PALMA at 1000 yards with 155 SMKs (the old ones), and 175 SMKs beyond 1100 yards in 308 is another, any 155 (in 308) beyond 1200 yards is a third.

I term this "the last 100 yards". And for 90% of shooters, shooting 99% of their shots, it is absolutely true that they loose essentialy nothing with the shorter barrel. But this does not make it universally true.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
timoram said:
Eric32 said:

http://www.sniperschool.com/sniper-rifle-barrel-length/

read that article see if it doesn't help change your mind
Good read but there is not enough information about the ammo used, the conditions ect ect.
It also varies for each rifle as cutting a 26" barrel to a 18" will drastically change the harmonics.
Long range accuracy out of a short barrel is not a common thing.

Tim

:lol: :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Shooting a .308 out past 800 yards is kind of pushing it beyond it's design limit. I have a Tac-Ops 22" and a 20" inch. I prefer the shorter as it is easier to deploy quickly and to hump through brush and other flora. Just go with the 20" and you will not be disappointed. If you want to shooter further, get a .300 WM as it will better serve you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I heard the 26 inch has less muzzle blast and recoil and may be a more pleasant range gun .How much more though?

·
Registered
7 Posts
not going to get into the which is better deal, but i don't have a problem getting out to 1k with my 20.

cheers

1 - 20 of 32 Posts