Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Does anyone know how many MRADs a scope needs to make 2000 yard shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know I have to hold about 11.5 mil for 1k so im reckon you can get a estimate from that.. have you chronographed your load and developed a range card? If so some pretty basic math should get you there

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
A lot of information is needed to get to 2k. Caliber, bullet weight and BC, velocity and then some environmentals. Plug this info in a ballistic ap and it’ll tell you how much elevation you’ll need. Respectfully, you need to figure out what caliber and bullet combo will get you there first..

·
Registered
539 Posts
A lot of information is needed to get to 2k. Caliber, bullet weight and BC, velocity and then some environmentals. Plug this info in a ballistic ap and it’ll tell you how much elevation you’ll need. Respectfully, you need to figure out what caliber and bullet combo will get you there first..
My neighbor gave me some virgim 30.06 rounds, ive necked them down for 6.5mm, i have to turn the necks unfortunately but after the i will send it 2 rounds of to shilen to have a customer cut. I pushed the shoulders back to 23°. Ill be excited to see what it can do

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Another thing. Once I got my 175SMK dialed in, elevation was spot on and it almost got boring shooting inside 500 yds. Once I got past 500, wind started noticeably pushing the bullet left or right. Shooting in flat country so no updrafts. A 10mph full value wind would push my SMK 2.9mils or around 104 inches or so at 1000. Blowing wind calls is the main reason I would miss at 1000 and I do have a use a Kestrel. I can only imagine how much wind would push a projectile at 2k as the range I shoot at only goes to 1k.. It took a lot of work refining hand loads and tweaking the weapon to get to 1k. Not to m3ntion the help of a knowledgeable spotter with a reticle spotting scope. I can only imagine the additional work needed and most of all accuracy in the wind call to get to 2k.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m currently using a Nikon FX1000 MRAD on a Savage 110BA Stealth 300 WinMag. I handload Hornady 208gr ELD with a BC of .648 (G1) and pack it close to its minimum recommendation with H4350. I’m fairly consistent on an 18 inch gong at 1000 yards. My velocity is on the low side, but the bullets are heavy and carry good momentum. I use the StrelokPro for dopping.

I was told that my scope may not have enough elevation. But after looking at the charts of what’s needed for my caliber, and the specs of my scope, it seemed like it was just good enough for 1760yds.

I’m going to make the trip to Thunder Valley Precision very soon. But if I have to spend $3000 on a new scope to do it, I may decide to wait on that trip.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Another thing. Once I got my 175SMK dialed in, elevation was spot on and it almost got boring shooting inside 500 yds. Once I got past 500, wind started noticeably pushing the bullet left or right. Shooting in flat country so no updrafts. A 10mph full value wind would push my SMK 1.9mils or around 50 inches or so at 1000. Blowing wind calls is the main reason I would miss at 1000 and I do have a use a Kestrel. I can only imagine how much wind would push a projectile at 2k as the range I shoot at only goes to 1k.. It took a lot of work refining hand loads and tweaking the weapon to get to 1k. Not to m3ntion the help of a knowledgeable spotter with a reticle spotting scope. I can only imagine the additional work needed and most of all accuracy in the wind call to get to 2k.
Since they closed the 1k south of me the only one left in indiana is Youngs longshot.. its is a beautiful range though

·
Registered
539 Posts
I’m currently using a Nikon FX1000 MRAD on a Savage 110BA Stealth 300 WinMag. I handload Hornady 208gr ELD with a BC of .648 (G1) and pack it close to its minimum recommendation with H4350. I’m fairly consistent on an 18 inch gong at 1000 yards. My velocity is on the low side, but the bullets are heavy and carry good momentum. I use the StrelokPro for dopping.

I was told that my scope may not have enough elevation. But after looking at the charts of what’s needed for my caliber, and the specs of my scope, it seemed like it was just good enough for 1760yds.

I’m going to make the trip to Thunder Valley Precision very soon. But if I have to spend $3000 on a new scope to do it, I may decide to wait on that trip.
Everyone asks why I use cantilever one piece rings on all my rifle AR and bolt.. well thats why, a 20 moa mount is perfect for long shots and with good brands like aero, warne, vortex, you don't have to lap the rings because they are CNC'ed from one bullet and already true:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Depends on weather. 1350 yards with current weather. But the BC is very high, MV 2577fps

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
That was great information.. My scope has 17 MRAD of elevation. According to the chart, it’s good all the way out to 1400 yards. But not any further. I’ll need a better scope. THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Two things.. G7 BC is considered more accurate for long distance shooting. Once you have that then you need to chrono your ounds and record the environmentals. Temp, humidity, altitude at a minimum.

I have two shooting apps. One is Shooter which is relatively inexpensive. The second is a Applied Balistics ap that is much more advanced and expensive.

Basically with both you set up the bullet data and zero data including environmentals, MV, and zero distance. Then you set up weapon profile with twist rate sight height etc scope turrets in MILS or MOA etc.. there’s a lot more I’ve probably left out but once you enter all the info in then, the apps will give you the elevation chart. You obviously need to test the results from the app with impacts at range and make adjustments to your range chart as necessary.

·
Registered
539 Posts
That was great information.. My scope has 17 MRAD of elevation. According to the chart, it’s good all the way out to 1400 yards. But not any further. I’ll need a better scope. THANK YOU!!!
The scope you mentioned is a very nice scope.. i would suggest a 20 moa mount. Jmo

·
Registered
539 Posts
Looks like the cheapest way out is $2000 for a Razor w/ rings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheapest way is just get a good one piece 20 MOA scope mount.. the FX1000 is a good piece of glass unless your just needing better magnification. A 20 MOA mount would give your scope the tilt it needs to reach out that far

1 - 20 of 29 Posts