Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I just got off the phone with the Volusia County Hunt and Gun Club. There is an evaluation fee of $50 which is a one time charge and then there is a fee of $85/quarter to have access to the misc ranges out to 300yds and an additional $50 fee for the 900 yd range that is only open on Fridays and Sundays. If you don't want to be a member, You can pay $100 for a day but you still have to go through the evaluation. I spoke to the owner and he seemed nice. If I do head up there from Fort Lauderdale, I'll probably stay over night because it's about a 3 hour drive.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
From what I know of them but not having gone there, Volusia has occasional access to a neighboring property where they do ELR. But IIRC it's only like once a month if that.
I’d like to inch out past 1000. What are the target intervals after 1k?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’d like to inch out past 1000. What are the target intervals after 1k?
To tell you the truth I've only got dope out to 800 yards there which is the farthest I've ever shot. I know there is steel at 1,000 on a huge berm and that there's steel at 1200. I'm not certain if there's targets every 200 after that or not. I haven't been out since November and my memory is not what it used to be, lol. The problem was, which I've heard has been solved, the berms all had grass on them and you couldn't really see your impacts all the time. So while I slung lead at the 1,000 targets, I only had impacts or misses I could see on a set of steel at 800. I was told they put sand out on the berms and that it was much easier to see impacts now. They're also starting to run some PRS matches, centerfire and .22.

You could shoot them a message on FB or Instagram and ask. They're good people running the place. I should point out also that this was designed to be a members only range. Every potential member goes through a little vetting to make sure you're safe. There is another range further south called Manatee Gun & Archery which had to shut it's 600 yard line down to 300(and previously the 1,000) unless you get certified at 300 because Bubba's were showing up and it wasn't safe. One of the RO's there told me he caught a guy attempting to shoot a handgun to 600 yards who was basically aiming at a cloud. And the 1,000 yard line has yet to reappear.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I was lucky and I had a spotter until I got a load dialed in. He would set up with a tripod right behind me and watch the bullet’s trail of air distirbance. The TOF for my 175SMK out of my 308 was around 1.7 sec. He would call the impact or miss and by how much in mils. The range had an older Leopold spotting scope that had a mill radical in it. He could actually make the call about a second out while the bullet was in flight and let me know whether was an impact or not. That was kind of freaky but then he set me up as a spotter behind him and he showed me what to look for and I’ll be darned if it didn’t work. It only seem to work well if the spotter was directly behind the shooter.

That experience made me a big believer in how much a good spotter could help put rounds on target down range. I was able to determine rather quickly with his help whether my app was giving me solid #s.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Unfortunately my pappa died, we were eachothers range buddies and spotters.. I have not found a new one yet.. Martino, you need to move to Indiana lol.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Unfortunately my pappa died, we were eachothers range buddies and spotters.. I have not found a new one yet.. Martino, you need to move to Indiana lol.

So apparently comrade Biden is about to ban ar-15 sales. I bought two stripped lowers just to have. But o have no idea what else I have to buy. Never built a rifle before

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

Although LD ranges are in short supply, It was in the 80’s yesterday when I put about 80 miles on my Harley. Heading up to Thunder by the Bay in Sarasota tomorrow.
LD shooters are getting dusty though.
We did have us some fun at Alllbury I think it was called.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Their website refers to a 900 yd range. Tried to call and an automated response came back that mail box had not been set up yet.
I found this Facebook link where the organizer refers to New Smyrna beach and VGHC. Volusia Long Range Shooting
But I am unaware of this organizer and am intending to follow up sometime this spring. He advertises the VGHC 900 yd range, but also refers to 2300. This may be a location near or adjacent to VGHC. Hopefully, this group can provide you with something,

·
Registered
2 Posts
To tell you the truth I've only got dope out to 800 yards there which is the farthest I've ever shot. I know there is steel at 1,000 on a huge berm and that there's steel at 1200. I'm not certain if there's targets every 200 after that or not. I haven't been out since November and my memory is not what it used to be, lol. The problem was, which I've heard has been solved, the berms all had grass on them and you couldn't really see your impacts all the time. So while I slung lead at the 1,000 targets, I only had impacts or misses I could see on a set of steel at 800. I was told they put sand out on the berms and that it was much easier to see impacts now. They're also starting to run some PRS matches, centerfire and .22.

You could shoot them a message on FB or Instagram and ask. They're good people running the place. I should point out also that this was designed to be a members only range. Every potential member goes through a little vetting to make sure you're safe. There is another range further south called Manatee Gun & Archery which had to shut it's 600 yard line down to 300(and previously the 1,000) unless you get certified at 300 because Bubba's were showing up and it wasn't safe. One of the RO's there told me he caught a guy attempting to shoot a handgun to 600 yards who was basically aiming at a cloud. And the 1,000 yard line has yet to reappear.
If you are looking for extended range Google rifle ranges from 2k or more.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts