Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

200y-300y difference

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Raymond Balducci 
#1 ·
I’m going to try 300y this week. Longest Ive done so far is 200y. Are there any major differences (besides “100y”) I should be aware of? I’m using a Savage Stealth 110 BA in 300 Win Mag with a good Nikon 6-24 scope.

#2 ·
You won't feel much difficulty up to 600 yards with 300 WM. My come up for 600 is around 2.5 mil and wind hold is around 5 inches for 5 mph wind. It's around 800 yards line where it's beginning to get little tricky. Anything inside of 600 yards is pretty much dead straight.

#5 ·
There is a simple ballistics app that works on a smart phone android or apple. One I use that's fairly simple is Shooter. You need to put in the bullet BC, muzzle speed and zero environmentals such as temp, humidity altitude etc. It's not terribly expensive and I believe its a great starter if your going to shoot out to 1000 yds or so. I have a more advanced app put out by Applied Ballistics but that one is considerably more expensive and can only sold to active duty, retired military and LEO.

Once you set up that info for the bullet in the app database, the app can generate a range card based on your current enviromentals that also need to be entered somehow. Once you have the range card generated, check the card with actual range impacts. this is best done with a spotter and painted steel targets. I prefer white for steel but what ever spray can of light color is on sale will do.

Changes in environmental conditions can make a significant difference in bullet trajectory. This is the reason I went into detail regarding environmentals and their entry in the app.

Best of luck with new adventure in shooting, Careful it can be addictive..

#8 · (Edited)
agreed. I provided the info just in case he want to reach out a little further.. He could see the drop on the range card himself. I think the app is about the cost of a box of ammo for a 300WM. Once most folks find out what a 300WM is capable of, they realize that 200-300 is just a chip shot for that round.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.