Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.22 and .177 are the two types of pellets used in air rifles which one is better to use

also is it .22 or .177 that is use in target rifles ???

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Its .22 but why are you asking this here? we dont shoot air rifles...

I'm sure there is an air rifle forum somewhere.

·
Registered
994 Posts
SpetSnaz_242 said:
most shooters train with air rifles thats why i am asking
Can you make this claim for the majority of Americans? I don't think the average Joe shoots air rifles, so I'll leave it to BC and others who are in our military's elite units to tell us whether or nor they train with air rifles.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
51 Posts
don't take this the wrong way SpetSnaz_242 but I think what Scatch meant was that your statement may not be applicable on this board since around 95% of the members here are americans... just a thought... 8)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

A few people on this board are being too harsh where it comes to people asking concerning air rifles.

It takes more skill to shoot an air rifle well than it does to shoot a centre fire rifle, like it or not.

Air rifles shoot mostly flat nosed pellets at low velocities, and as such suffer from a lot of round drop due to their ballistics, and means the pellet remains in the barrel for longer - and so your trigger control and breathing are more tested.

Shooting high powered sniper rifles may be fun, and I do not mean to play down the sport, but in a contest of skill I would rather watch an air rifle competition, standing at 40m's, than I would a high powered rifle competition using a bench rest at 600m's.

Edit: As a side not, air rifles are also commonly found in .25. As a rule of fun spetsnaz101, .177 is for 20m's paper punching, .22 for 30m's, and .25 for 40m's. It is a trade off between pellet velocity (.177) and pellet weight and resistance to wind (.25).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mace has a good point with that one.

A little off topic: I took this European exchange student shooting with me once. So after shooting the .22 for while (and he was quite good with it) I upgrade him to my Savage 10FP. Once he pulled the trigger he jumped right out of the seat because the noise and recoil scared him. Its one of the funniest things I have ever witnessed. He then yelled at me asking me why would a person ever own such a powerful rifle (its a .308). My response: "If only I had a .50 Cal."

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Re: re

Yimmy said:
A few people on this board are being too harsh where it comes to people asking concerning air rifles.

It takes more skill to shoot an air rifle well than it does to shoot a centre fire rifle, like it or not.

Air rifles shoot mostly flat nosed pellets at low velocities, and as such suffer from a lot of round drop due to their ballistics, and means the pellet remains in the barrel for longer - and so your trigger control and breathing are more tested.

Shooting high powered sniper rifles may be fun, and I do not mean to play down the sport, but in a contest of skill I would rather watch an air rifle competition, standing at 40m's, than I would a high powered rifle competition using a bench rest at 600m's.

Edit: As a side not, air rifles are also commonly found in .25. As a rule of fun spetsnaz101, .177 is for 20m's paper punching, .22 for 30m's, and .25 for 40m's. It is a trade off between pellet velocity (.177) and pellet weight and resistance to wind (.25).
Forgive me if I take all that with a grain of salt as the only rifle you own is a pellet gun. And your active military.

Most americans train with 22LR's... and dont bring up tubbs.. because tubbs isnt a sniper.. he's a shooter.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
To answer your question start with a .177 is probably best because they are cheaper to buy and shoot. dont worry about the top quality gun, get a beeman etc. Learn to shoot correctly using proper sight alignment, trigger control, and breathing. If no one is around to show you propper tenique, and I mean an adult that knows how, get a book. Always rember safety first, perioud, no excuses. treat your pellet gun like it is a loaded .308 at all times. Start off at close range, say 5-10 feet shooting at something with instant feedback. Soda cans are a good target. Be sure to clean up after you are done and ALWAYS wear eye protection. The basics of shooting are to complex to get into on a forum, but after you read up folks here can give you hints.

Another ting you may want to try is to learn stalking. Don't stalk people, they tend to get a little nervious. Stalk non dangerious wild animals. Deer, birds squirrls etc. If you live in town the local park can be of use stalking squirrls. You don't need anything special or even camo clothing to start. Werar clothes that are neutral colors and blend into the enviroment. Get a book on hunting that talks about stalking. Also Ray Mears has some outdoor books that are good and even classes in the UK. Just see how close you can get to wildlife before they see you. That is the best practice you can get. wild animals have a better sence of hearing and smell than people and also more aware of their surroundings. Start there and you will be amazed how much you learn.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

spade said:
Forgive me if I take all that with a grain of salt as the only rifle you own is a pellet gun. And your active military.

Most americans train with 22LR's... and dont bring up tubbs.. because tubbs isnt a sniper.. he's a shooter.
Er, who on Earth is tubbs?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts

Yimmy said:
spade said:

Er, who on Earth is tubbs?
David Tubb is arguably the best, and winningest, competitive rifleman in history. He has won (to date) a record eleven NRA National High Power Rifle Championship titles at Camp Perry, Ohio. That's five more than next best. In addition, David is an NRA Silhouette Rifle legend, having won nearly 30 open, individual national championship titles in all four rifle categories. David has also won seven Sportsmen's Team Challenge championships along with six NRA Long Range Rifle (600-1000 yd.) national championships.

Trophies aside, though, David's biggest contribution to our shooting sports is his innovative mind. David has always been a trend setter and model of potentials. Over many seasons, David wins this year with what the rest of us will be using the next year. It's this leading edge type of advancement that led to the products you'll find listed on this web site.

The underlying essence behind Superior Shooting Systems Inc. developments is the continued advancement of the "human factor" in the shooting sports. The majority of equipment enhancements contained here were designed to help the shooter fire a higher score and gain more enjoyment and satisfaction from his shooting experience, whether that score is on a target on in the field.

http://www.davidtubb.com/about_david.html

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
SpetSnaz_242 said:
I know alot of proffesional guitarists use bass guitars to practice there riffs too... :lol:

Seriously dude... there has to be atleast ONE air rifle / air soft forum out there...

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Let me just add somthing about training with an air rifle...

If you train with an air rifle you are going to be good with an air rifle... If you train with a real rifle you will be good with a real rifle... you cant train with a shotgun and expect to be any good with a long range rifle can you? You cant train with a 22LR pistol and expect to be any good with a 45 auto shootin +p ammo can you?

The TRUE proffesionals train as they fight... fight as they train... we train using live ammo with all our field gear... no substitutes. What is the point in training a Center Peal movement if your not using live ammo? There isnt any risk... therefor you wont be moving as fast and there wont be as much stress as in a real Center Peal movement... once again... train as you fight... fight as you train.

BC

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ah yes but you have to start some where what about all those other people in here who are younger than me they dont have live weapons i also noted BC that you started with air soft weapons and worked your way up this is what im trying to do.

can you blame a person for trying or having a career choice ?

·
Registered
994 Posts
SpetSnaz_242 said:
ah yes but you have to start some where what about all those other people in here who are younger than me they dont have live weapons i also noted BC that you started with air soft weapons and worked your way up this is what im trying to do.
People who don't have live weapons are more than welcome to ask about the weapons others do, or perhaps post engineering knowledge regarding said weapons, but it is selfish for those who do not have live weapons to come to a web site dedicated to a discipline that utilizes live weapons and attempt to transform it into a forum about other things.

Many a thread will go off-topic--too often about airplanes--but that's because everyone here has an interest in them. There are others on this forum (as has been expressed) that have an interest in Airsoft, and at times, conversations about airsoft guns have come up. It has become a trend on your part, however, to assume that this is an airsoft forum, which it is not.

can you blame a person for trying or having a career choice ?
Not at all, and no one is: airsoft has nothing to do with a military career, however. Subsequently, there are only a few members (and I can only think of one who actively posts) that are members of the UK military, and only they are best suited to answer your questions.

We have a huge variety of people on this forum who live in places where firearms access is severely restricted (Mace, you gotta get out of there!) yet still find the discussions regarding live weapons enjoyable, and often are capable of contributing frequently to said discussions, as well.

Your interest in airsoft is both genuine and uplifting, and it might be better served on an airsoft forum: that doesn't mean you have to leave (you can be a member of as many forums as you'd like), but when you ask questions here, ask them concerning live weapons, the discipline of sniping, etc.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Who ever said i started out with airsoft?

Hell when i was a kid there wasnt any such thing as air soft. I got my first 22 at the age of 10 and got my first .223 bolt rifle at the age of 13. I got my 1st M-1 Garand at the age of 15... i got my first 45 caliber 1911 at the age of 16... i bought my first rifle at the age of 18... it was a Springfield Armory M-1903 in 30-06.

BC

·
Registered
222 Posts
If all you have access to is a air gun thats fine. Nobody is blaming you, we just get tried of people coming on the forums asking all these questions about them. This website is about real guns, mainly sniper rifles. I know there are air gun forums out there, just go to google. Iam sure they will know a lot more then we will.

What if I went to a Harley Davidson forum and started talking about my bicycle? They would tell me to get out!!!

I didn't even have a gun when I first started visiting this site, I had a bb gun and a very nice pellet rifle. Though I never talked about them becasue I knew it wasn't the right place to do so.

·
Registered
51 Posts
(Mace, you gotta get out of there!)
lol... :lol: wishin' everyday... :)

Your interest in airsoft is both genuine and uplifting, and it might be better served on an airsoft forum: that doesn't mean you have to leave (you can be a member of as many forums as you'd like), but when you ask questions here, ask them concerning live weapons, the discipline of sniping, etc.
+1...

got my first 22 at the age of 10 and got my first .223 bolt rifle at the age of 13. I got my 1st M-1 Garand at the age of 15... i got my first 45 caliber 1911 at the age of 16... i bought my first rifle at the age of 18... it was a Springfield Armory M-1903 in 30-06.
:shock: :shock: :shock: how I envy you... :cry:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BC a BB gun is airsoft they just have these wierd names for these things oh yeah and one other thing

armour piercing rounds (Live) how do they work ?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts