Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I hope you can help me. Previously i have reloaded my 6.5 creedmore without issues.

I have recently purchased a Howa 1500 223 short action and am currently in the process of reloading... setting up die's etc.

The easy stuff. Resizing cartridges, Deburred and trimmed to length. Internal neck diameter is 0.218 inch.

I am using the Hornady 223 Remington F/L resizing die and bullet seater.

All went well until i went to insert the bullet into the case of a dummy round to test sizing.

The bullet appears to get stuck and then compresses the neck of the case before the projectile is even inserted into the case. I have no idea why. The cases are once fired ADI 223 rounds. believed to have previoulsy had sierra projectiles in them and appeared to have been annealed prepurchase. I bought them as they were cheap ammo to run the rifle in.

I am unfamilar with 223 ammo having only the 6.5 creedmore rifle before, but the brass appears really light.

I've included a photo of the gear i am using and an image of the cases.

If anyone can help with my delemma that would be great. IMG_20191208_133818722.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I had the die screwed too low. I unscrewed the die case a good 10mm (1/3 inch) to give maximum clearance, then screwed the top part down which was the internal screw to set the bullet seating depth. This die was new to me and had a sleeve at the base which i believe is used for crimping as well as guiding the projectile straight when the bullet is raised into the die.

·
Registered
848 Posts
A question for you. Inside of the neck diameter is set at .218. That's 6/1000 under. Bit too tight, in my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts