Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
yesterday i was watching the history channel and they had a full hour about atomic\nuclear bombs and they had this one passage that the russians tested the largest "nuke" ever made it was like a megaton missle that they detonated on a island somewhere--just watching those shows on tv makes you think---damn......other countries than us have those :shock: thats when you really start to think--if you live a mile from a 300KT explosion you house is pretty much screwed over and u might as well be too--hopefully one of these wars dont start anytime soon

dom

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
good point--i see a nuclear war being the end of the world--unless aliens attack--jk--thats what the bomb must have been the 20 MT one that russia tested i saw the video of it---it was soooooooooooooooooooo massive i couldnt believe my eyes..i was just speechless--i saw another one that the operation was named--"Operation Dominic" (which is my name) Dominic was the code name for Christmas Island. in 1956 the usa started doing nuclear tests on that island--more info can be found here>http://www.janeresture.com/christmas_bombs/ the largest yield ever achieved during DOMINIC was 7650 kt yield dropped from a b-52--the mushroom cloud rose 75,000 feet if i'm not mistaken.....from what order do the letters go...i know MT is the biggest---then kt...is that right????

i heard sd(where i live) has one nuclear missle silo thats still armed(ready for action) but i'm sure there are more but the government just doesnt want us to know--i have visited a missle silo out by the black hills before and theyre HUGE just massive--during the cold war i think sd had the most nucear missle silos in the country..am i right?????

dom

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
The thing about large nuke weapons they get to a point that bigger does not yield a bigger explosion. I can't remember how big it is, but at a certin point it no longer matters, the explosion is the same size and all you are doing is wasting material. I was told this by a very reliable source.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Recoil said:
Most of us have cruised right on by a nuke many times in our lives and didn't even know it. :)
probably--i wouldnt be surprised--id be so cool to see a nuke being tested........from 100 miles away..not 1

dom

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I saw that show Dom was talking about, that sucker was massive...The Soviets tested it at Novoya Zmelya (sp?) from a Bear bomber, and I think they said it was as powerful as 6,000 hiroshimas.

EDIT: I found some info on the thing. They called it Tsar Bomba. 100 Megatons but scaled down to 50 when they dropped it, and provided the cleanest nuclear explosion ever.

"The Tsar Bomba (referred to as the Big Bomb by Sakharov in his Memoirs [Sakharov 1990]) was the largest nuclear weapon ever constructed or detonated. This three stage weapon was actually a 100 megaton bomb design, but the uranium fusion stage tamper of the tertiary (and possibly the secondary) stage(s) was replaced by one(s) made of lead. This reduced the yield by 50% by eliminating the fast fissioning of the uranium tamper by the fusion neutrons, and eliminated 97% of the fallout (1.5 megatons of fission, instead of 51.5), yet still proved the full yield design. The result was the "cleanest" weapon ever tested with 97% of the energy coming from fusion reactions. The effect of this bomb at full yield on global fallout would have been tremendous. It would have increased the world's total fission fallout since the invention of the atomic bomb by 25%."

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Russia/TsarBomba.html

·
Registered
307 Posts
The guy who developed Tsar promptly retired after the blast, then became an outspoken critic of the USSR, before going into exile for a collection of years.

As for "surviving" nuclear war, there isn't really too much you can do. Try praying, and working very very very hard.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Recoil said:
That is why it is so scary that Iran, South Korea and China have nukes. China probably wouldn't want to destroy its largest customer, but South Korea and the new terrorist president of Iran have no such reservations.
Do you mean North Korea? Or does SK have nukes too?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hell, if I knew I was going to be doing that much reading, I never would have started that new book. :wink:

BTW: Hows your site coming along?

·
Registered
238 Posts
cliffnotes anyone?

dont forget israel has them, or is that just the nuetron bomb they have? and we technically have nukes in SK that are ours, you have to remember the korean war isnt technically over yet and we still have some 30-50k troops just standing at that DMZ line to this day...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts