Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you folks think of these two loads? Which one would be better than the other in differing situations?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
lol gotta be just a bit more specific...

what conditions?

what rifle?

what are ya shooting at?

handloads or factory?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Sub 600 where overpenetration is an issue. And not in a situation metered by the hauge convention, with factory ammo. Id go with the 243. They make 6mm match ammunition but they dont load any 243 for em.

The 308 will do anything the 243 will, sept at longer distances. The problem with that is overpenetration of the target alot of the time. So if were talking about a hunting round, either or will be fine. If were talking about a round for "work" then I dont know. Like muzzle said, we need more information.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
for military sniping the .308 wins hands down... more power at longer ranges
urban sniping the .243 could be used effectively by law enforcement but the military wouldnt touch it when they have the .308 and capable rifles chambered for it already... the .308 is pritty much the standard for police snipers too

hunting the .243 is better for varmint to medium sized game while the .308 is better for medium sized game to bigger game

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A hunting situation is what I was refering to. I relize that the 243 is faster and flatter than the 308. Does any body have any experience with the 243 out west shooting prong horns at rediculasly long ranges? I have a chance to go out west next year and was wondering how the little gun would do.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Ok now we are getting some where. The 243 is a good round for Pronghorn IMHO as long as you place your shots well. Most people can not shoot effectivey over 200-300 yards in hunting even if you are good on the range. The reason being the adrenlin, range estimation, and lack of a good rest like a range. At that range the 243 is a good round with less kick than the .308.

The .308 is another exellant choice since its killing power, espically at longer ranges, is superior. By this if you have a marginal shot due to any number of factors, the .308 is more likly to anchor the animal than the .243. BTW if you have never mad a marginal shot on game you haven't hunted much since everyone does eventually. Just learn from your mistakes.

A round you may want to consider is the 260 Rem. with a 140 gr bullet. It is a .308 necked down to 6.5 mm. The 243 is a .308 necked down to 6mm. The 6.5 bullet has superior long range ballistics as well as a reputation for killing power that is well above what you think you get with a bullett of that diameter.

There are other well suited calibers like the 270, 30-06 etc, but what really counts is the shooter. Get a rifle you are comfortable with and practice your hunting and shooting skills under various conditions.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
For long range hunting id much rather go with a .308... but it depends on how far you are actually going to shoot. If your talking about REAL long range hunting (600 yards and out)... id go with a .300 Win Mag for a good clean one shot kill.

BC

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
my dad hunted pronghorn in west river SD for a long time and he says his .243 rem. pump has never let him down...(yes, a .243 pump rifle.)he's made 300 yard shots but then you gotta hit them in the right spot or you might be tracking for awhile :lol:

~dom~

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If all your shooting is 300 yards or so... a 243 would be just fine.

BC

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Some pretty good points there really...With the 243, you might have to be a little pickier with your shots, and sure of yourself at longer ranges, where the 308 would plow through the animal and do a lot of damage, even the heavier 243 bullets would not do as much damage.

Make sure you have a properly constructed hunting bullet too, like 90-100 grain, not a varmint round, and that the rifling rate of twist will support heavy rounds.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
yeah, i pretty much agree with everything thats been said here. One thing to think about is the range and weight of the bullet. At 500 yards a 243 just isnt going to drop a prong horn if you try and pull a heart shot. I generallygo for head shots.. but then again i hunt for meat...

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
And you can also pull off those shots lol.

Know your weapon and what you can do with it, and as you get more comfy...I know Spade knows this already but for any newbs, the head shot can also result in a wounded animal running off pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
And you can also pull off those shots
Can he pull them off?.........Come on guys, this is spade we are talking about here. He does it with a SVD using subsonic AP rounds! Its nothing for Spade to make a 800 yd running head shot on a pronghorn! Drop them like hot potato.

j/k :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
800 yard head shot on a running pronghorn, you mean!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Naw if im doing running shots I use a slug gun. Makes those 800 yard shots easy. :p

·
Registered
5 Posts

like they said it depends on your situation, but a .243 is a nice little gun that can shoot deer (if you're a good shot), varmits and targets with barely any recoil.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The .243 is a good round, but a .243 barrel is not as long lasting as a .308 barrel.

I say take the .308.

If you want a .308 based cartridge in a lighter caliber, take the 7mm-08 or the .260 Remington ahead of the .243.

Mad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts