Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you lot think if this round, one of the new super short magnums? I have heard that savage have had to chrome their bore's for it because of excessive wear, which doesn't sound very promising, but not surprising.

I was just browsing through the winchester pages, and the thing shoots like a laser with light 55 grain loads - it must be near ideal for target shooting and varmints. According to their velocity figures in f/s:

Muzzle 4060
100 3628
200 3237
300 2880
400 2550
500 2243

And trajectory with a close, 200 yard zero:

100 0.6
150 0.7
200 0.0
250 -1.5
300 -3.9
400 -12
500 -25.5

That is even flatter shooting than .220 Swift or .204 Ruger....:shock:

I wander what its "point blank" range would be, going by +3 to -3.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I don't know about the point blank range, but I read a study including Browning and Winchester rifles in 243 and 243 WSSM, and the study showed (I think it was after 500 rounds, shot in the same conditions) throat erosion was the same with all rifles.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Forget the light bullets, load it with a 107gr Sierra Match king with a .527 BC and you have a serious 1000yard rifle. Or even the 115gr DTAC bullet developed with David Tubb which has a reported BC of .585. (I'd probably prefer the SMK).

These loads will almost match the 6.5x284.

Anyone interested in a SC3 in this caliber? It could be fun :D

MEL

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
re

I would be extremely interested in an SC3 in said caliber!

And the more I look into my options, the surprisingly possible it appears. You remember that PM I sent you recently Mel? Well, the UK department of Trade and Industry (DTI), apparantly doesnt require an import license - for the sending nation to gain an export license for a rifle, they would only have to be shown the relevant British legislation, as far as I gather. Shipping costs arn't too bad either.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well, I actually have a McMillan A5 stock with adjustable cheek piece ready to go for a SC3 short action.... it was from a cancelled order.... would save about 3 months on the build time.

I'd suggest finding out all the details about the importation before we begin, I would hate for you to be stuck with a rifle in the USA that you could not get into the UK!

MEL

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
re

Indeed!

Don't consider it to be anything solid at all, I am several months off being able to purchase any firearm, but if I do end up getting a long range rifle, I will seriously consider your SC3 Mel.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
that bullet looks like itd be a little lazer--good deer load

dom

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Too bad Mel and Mad don't live closer, that would be one mean business. Order your rifle in the caliber of your choosing, and Mad works up the loads for you.

Yimmy, the SC3 in 243 WSSM would be sweet. Those short mags burn powder up pretty efficiently, and actually use less than a 243 Winchester would, so if you wanted a shorter barrel it could be done. The McM stock, a 22 inch barrel with a fast rate of twist for the SMK round Mel suggested, and top it off with a Leupold Mark 4 PR 3.5-10x40....A man can dream *sigh*

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Nice! Now, I wonder what the + - 8 inch figures are for thumping steel plates and knocking over whitetail.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
re

It does look a fantastic round, but I don't think I could really buy a rifle in it, as personally I am not sure I can se the WSSM cartridges lasting very long.

As all I would need it for are targets, I would likely go for another small bore high velocity round, such as the .25-06.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Something no one has mentioned, Isn't this just winchesters way of reinventing the wheel? Anyone see a similarity between 6PPC and 243 WSSM? Add the 25-06 in there and you've got three strikingly similar cartridges.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Yeah, that might just be right, Spade. 25 WSSM takes care of 25-06 too. For 6mm PPC, if 243 WSSM is to compete with it, it's a smart move. Especially if they load match ammo for it some day, and make it more accessable

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been shooting both the .243 and .25 WSSM quite a bit the last couple of years. I agree with Mele to a certain extent. The 55 grain bullets are going to give you dreadful barrel life and poor long-range performance. I have been shooting 87 grain HPBT for varmint and 85 grain Nosler partitions for big game. Most of my big-game hunting around home is 150 yards or less. The varmint, on the other hand can get out there a ways.

I am shooting both of these out of an AR-15 so some of the long, high BC bullets get to be a problem for magazine length. Berger has some length tolerant bullets with a high BC that I may have to try.

The .243 has been a great round, accurate, flat shooting and hard hitting. It is a little fickle to hand-load for however. The .25 WSSM is much easier to hand-load for and, with the heavier bullets, puts out some serious energy. I am sending a 120 grain bullet out of a 22" barrel on my AR at just under 3000 FPS. That's a lot of energy from an AR-15.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts