Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thats A START...

But wheres the other effects on ballistics? Barometer, humidity, temperature, and so on. IS there any consideration in terminal ballistics.

Its "another WW2" game. I've been playing them for ever, a modern war game would be better..IMO

"One option is to crawl under the vehicle and lay down a sizable amount of TNT, then sneak away to a good camping point and detonate the explosive with a well placed sniper shot."

Sorry but I find that funny.

I didnt read the whole article, I just scammed. But what weapon are you using? Personaly I hate the reticle in the screen shots. Also is there RE (range est)?

Anyways, this game is indeed a huge step up from the right click zoom, one shot, one kill at any range. But it wont be as good as Meles. I'll buy BOTH!

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Huh, sounds interesting.

I followed the development of this game for a while. I wonder if they changed the character? At first he was an Ex Waffen SS soldier recruited to help the US. Maybe that wasn't politically correct. Seems they made a lot of interesting features though.

One thing that sounds cool is the timer on some levels. The fact you have to get to a certain place to shoot a member of a convoy is cool. Specific target. And it would be easy to avoid enemy patrols if you could take three days to complete the mission in a crawl, but the timer makes you speed it up a little.

"Where handling a sniper rifle in most War games is a simple matter of zooming in and lining up the cross hairs, Sniper Elite takes combat to the next level. When starting a single player mission it is important to take note of the difficulty setting. There are four levels of expertise that adjust five separate variables of realistic sniping. Each bullet is affected by gravity, wind, posture, heart rate, and breathing making lining up the perfect kill at the highest difficulty setting an art form that requires careful consideration. It is also possible to change the level of enemy A.I. and adjust the blast radius of a grenade from realistic (8 yards) to Hollywood (20 yards). "

That's suprisingly decent. Not as well developed or authentic as Mel's game, but enough to be fun.

"The bullet time effect that was used so prevalently in the E3 demo has been scaled back and now only appears when players line up one of those oh-so-satisfying headshots. Also, a significant amount of deformation occurs when attacking troops take one for the team. The headshots we landed resulted in gory wounds and a spray of blood that covered walls and rubble behind the target. The bullet time presentation is an excellent way to give players a payoff for succeeding at what can be a very challenging game. "

Heh, I'm all for that.

Here's some screens. Looks like he is stilll ex SS. His icon wears the hat, and his uniform looks pretty German. Walther G 43 on his back and he is holding a P-38.

A soldier being hit with an SVT 40

Long range headshot...77 meters....really reaching out there!!

it is a great looking game though.

To take advantage of the ballistic rules, I hope there are 500 meter plus shots, otherwise it's kinda useless unless this dude is shooting in 30 mph winds.

I want to see lots of weapons too. Springfield, Kar, Nagant, G 43, M1C, etc

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I first saw mention of this game about 4 months ago and looked into it. But determined it was a game, not a simulation. My "Game" is already much more realistic.

Just as an update. I finished up the mil-dot reticule last week and have it calibrated for accurate range estimating. I also finished up the movement of the AI bots, they now play the walk animations properly. I am now tweaking the ballistics to match M118LR/Fed GMM 175gr. After that, I need to finish the wind, add the grasses/bushes, add breathing, and then create the initial missions. I was hoping for the end of the summer to finish those things up, but it might be the begining of fall. The engine problem when handling slow AI bot movement killed me!!! Wasted 1.5 months traking it down and fixing it. But anyway, progress is going well now

MEL

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
why do all games do this???
give sniper rifles and dont give you the opportunity to take them out byond 100m or so or in this case- 77y being 'long range', subguns being accurate to 10y or less and assault rifles being accurate to 25y, not that you would ever go that far would you???

cant wait for mel's game to come out so i can enjoy playing a real sniper game, something ive never gotten to play before!!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Jeff_850 said:
why do all games do this???
give sniper rifles and dont give you the opportunity to take them out byond 100m or so or in this case- 77y being 'long range', subguns being accurate to 10y or less and assault rifles being accurate to 25y, not that you would ever go that far would you???

cant wait for mel's game to come out so i can enjoy playing a real sniper game, something ive never gotten to play before!!!
Because of map size. Engines limit the map size.

Mel, aight let me look into it.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
+1 jeff of all the games i've played the closest to realistic sniping is delta force LW--you can actually get 1000m+ kills in that game

but 77yds--i get mp5 kills in DFLW--lol

dom

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey Mel, any idea on what system requirements are going to be?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ah yes... another WW2 game. I think this is the 900th one? Looks like another hollywood enspired game... high power optics with reticles not around at the time... with SVT 40 rifles capable of .25 MOA 100 shot groups!!! Reminds me about a sniper movie... shooting a wire 600 yards away with a M1891/30 Mosin Nagant with a 4X PU scope that zoomed like a friggin NASA telescope.

I'll pass... and wait for Mel's game.

BC

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
Ah yes... another WW2 game. I think this is the 900th one? Looks like another hollywood enspired game... high power optics with reticles not around at the time... with SVT 40 rifles capable of .25 MOA 100 shot groups!!! BC
Exactly man, exactly! Heh
Good to see you on Jarhead.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Because of map size. Engines limit the map size.
meh some games they can do it but dont

+1 jeff of all the games i've played the closest to realistic sniping is delta force LW--you can actually get 1000m+ kills in that game

but 77yds--i get mp5 kills in DFLW--lol
yes Delta force can... unfortuneately the AI is retarted and limits it to just multiplayer which is fine for me if my router didnt skrew up and reset every time i search for servers :(

im not in the slightest impressed about a headshot at 77y unless it came from a pistol or subgun

·
Registered
994 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
I'll pass... and wait for Mel's game.
As Mel has stated, he is making a simulator, not a game. There is a distinct reason video games, like movies, are sans realism: entertainment sells and the producers are looking to make lots of money. Although I'm sure Mel doesn't mind making money, I don't think he expects his simulator to get him plastered all over gaming magazines.

Who wants to play an airplane simulator where you sit in your chair for six hours where the most interesting thing that happens is the stewardess brings you the vegetarian meal by accident and you take a moment to complain while the autopilot keeps you pointed in the same direction?

Scatch Maroo

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Scatch Maroo said:
Who wants to play an airplane simulator where you sit in your chair for six hours where the most interesting thing that happens is the stewardess brings you the vegetarian meal by accident and you take a moment to complain while the autopilot keeps you pointed in the same direction?

Scatch Maroo
That's when they're not drunk, the bums! "We're pullin' inta Burbank....eerr...I mean...O'Hare...Might catch some turbulensh, folks"

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
As everyone has said, its a gameplay issue. ITs very difficult to hit a target at 600 yards when you don't know the distance and there is wind, etc. Many people will be frustrated. The engines themselves, as was mentioned, also are not normally setup to have open terrain. The engine I'm using is about the only one out there that is. So its ideal. The one problem I have ran into is trying to get distance to look realistic. When I first started, when a target was 200 m away, it looked like it was about 800m away because monitors can only have a limited resolution, unlike the human eye.

MEL

·
Registered
263 Posts
unfortuneately the AI is retarted and limits it to just multiplayer which is fine for me if my router didnt skrew up and reset every time i search for servers
The same goes for NovaLogic's Joint Operations. :? Though training mission I played impressed me. Good ballistic (no wind though :( ) + mortar salvoe from nearest battery if you shoot more than one shot from same position.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Jeff_850 said:
yes Delta force can... unfortuneately the AI is retarted and limits it to just multiplayer which is fine for me if my router didnt skrew up and reset every time i search for servers :(
im not in the slightest impressed about a headshot at 77y unless it came from a pistol or subgun

yes the enimies are VERY retarded--the game with the best AI i think is ghost recon island thunder--when you shoot a enimie at 200 yds with your m24 the other ppl in his posse seek cover and spray the direction of where the shot came from

dom

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Ghost Recon's AI is questionable... your team will stand there and be confused when there shot at
they dont even have sense to return fire some of the time

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Jeff_850 said:
Ghost Recon's AI is questionable... your team will stand there and be confused when there shot at
they dont even have sense to return fire some of the time
good point--sometimes the terrorists r smarter than your team--on my game the team seens to like the "suppress" setting--lol

dom

1 - 20 of 33 Posts