Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New user, inherited all my dads rifles. Him, Retired engineer, fanatical reloader, wildcat loads. He taught me the basics.
I cannot get any of his rifles to shoot MOA. I know I'm capable. I now have a cheap bore scope which he never had, OMG. First look I thought I was in a sewer pipe, learning more. They are pretty sensitive.
OK, the 25.06 has these suspicious circular scars throughout the barrel, Lands and grooves. None of my other underperforming barrels have this. I don't want any wildcat barrels, so I have been re-barreling his rifles ( I love it) found a new hobby, close to retiring . Scope after scope, new adjustable parallax, Butt kiss.
What are these circular scars?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just saw this exact type of chaffing? on the internet under rifling damage / pictures. The marks are so consistent that I wonder is my bullet bouncing down the barrel? (vibrating?) ie. very worn out?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Too even and consistent to be bullet bounce. Looks like it was done by a bad bore job either new or a rebore.
I thought about that, making it a 25.06 out of something else....it is stamped cleanly as 25.06. I agree, too consistent.
But why would the grooves be scratched to? weird. Bottom line, it isn't right. I will replace cause I like the caliber. Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
819 Posts
That looks like chatter from the rifling cutting tool. This happens from a dull tool. This won't occur with either button rifling or cold hammer forging, because in those methods the rifling is formed, and not cut.

Those marks look too deep to polish out. I would try an agressive, corse bore lapping compound, followed by finer and finer grit. You don't have to get all of the chatter out. Just create a smooth enough path for the bullet to travel without being affected by it.

Just look up, "Bore Lapping" and you'll get a lot of information on how to do it. I wouldn't trash that barrel just yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a rifle made in 1959, the bore looks almost the same as yours. The marks in my rifle's bore are tooling marks. The bore drill or rifling tool. I use this gun for hunting, took some time and reloading to get MOA or less at 200 yds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That looks like chatter from the rifling cutting tool. This happens from a dull tool. This won't occur with either button rifling or cold hammer forging, because in those methods the rifling is formed, and not cut.

Those marks look too deep to polish out. I would try an aggressive, corse bore lapping compound, followed by finer and finer grit. You don't have to get all of the chatter out. Just create a smooth enough path for the bullet to travel without being affected by it.

Just look up, "Bore Lapping" and you'll get a lot of information on how to do it. I wouldn't trash that barrel just yet.
Thanks for the reply, Certainly a bit of lapping couldn't hurt. I did just buy some of that "JB" bore bright? not as extreme....Wouldn't hundreds of rounds smooth it out by now? I will give it a really good bore bright and copper fouling clean. It seemed to shoot almost better at 200 yards, (like my 30.6) do some rifles do that? Happy thanksgiving!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a rifle made in 1959, the bore looks almost the same as yours. The marks in my rifle's bore are tooling marks. The bore drill or rifling tool. I use this gun for hunting, took some time and reloading to get MOA or less at 200 yds.
Thanks for the reply, I don't know if my dad started making up loads for this one or not. I have to stick with over the counter for now. I replaced the stock with a beautiful wood one he had, Mauser action, Nice scope, really like this one. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
You might try wrapping a bit of burgundy Scotch-Brite around a new nylon .284 bore brush and coating with JB's. This is a pain, but do 50 passes from breech to muzzle only. DO NOT pull the brush back through the bore from the muzzle. Clean thoroughly, go shoot it. If you get a pad of SB, pull it apart to thin it before the wrap. It can usually be split in half. Good Luck. Worth a try before you chuck it. Some really ugly barrels can be made to shoot pretty well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts